How would you rate Jw's on a spiritual scale......

by AK - Jeff 45 Replies latest jw friends

• sf
    sf

How would you rate Jw's on a spiritual scale......

Easy answer...ZERO, ZILCH, NATA.

There is absolutely NOTHING altruistic about this book publishing corporation.

sKally

• NestleBoy
    NestleBoy
    Thinking back on what I have personally both seen and heard from pioneers, elders, ministerial servants, the rank and file, and others associated with the religious arm of the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society I am a bit confused as to why they themselves can't see the absence of Christ in their personal lives. I say this because in almost 20 years of close contact with JW's I probably heard His name mentioned less than a dozen times in casual conversation with the JW's.

Yes it’s sad that most of JW’s don’t have that personal relationship with God (prayer, good works, following the principles that Jesus taught through his gospels and so on) I go to the meetings and I can see that, especially among the young ones; and the ones that grew up in a JW family like myself.

Personally I don’t think the society puts enough emphasis on that. It should at least be mentioned more in talks. Perhaps they think we all know that already – as if it’s the default.

Right now I’m a 3 on a scale of 1 to 12. I’m just being honest here. I know I have a lot of room for improvement.

And it is interesting AK_Jeff you say “Christian God” or just “God”. Most people here who are ex-jw end up saying that. They no longer want to use the name “Jehovah” in talking about the Christian God of the Bible. All those years being in the organization, which most did not like, end up not saying it anymore. Saying or even thinking “Jehovah” kind of brings back a lot of bad memories of the meetings, no joy in field service, unloving elders, and so on….

Unfortunate as it is though. But I can certainly understand that.

NestleBoy

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

They have a materialistic view of paradise, wheras the Bible teaches a spiritual one. Their 'paradise earth' appeals to the physical and material senses, rather than spirituality. For this reason it would have to be only about 2.

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

Hi NestleBoy

When I was a JW I noticed my fellow JW's getting antsy whenever someone talked to them about Christ and being saved, etc. I wouldn't chalk it up as "unsaved verssus saved" as some have, but rather as "emotional versus unemotional." I recall being put off by the emotional dimension to the born-again subculture when I was a JW. Even the very first time it happened. I could tell by the body language, facial expression, and tone of voice that emotionality was about to flood my way. That doesn't set well when one believes spiriruality is purely a matter of the intellect and will. So, it made me uncomfortable. Very.

I went on the become not only a born-again Christain, but a Pentecostal Christian, and OD'ed on emotionality.

Now I have a nice balance.
    Nate

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

ditto on the great post, Nate.

As a whole I rate the WTBTS as a -12 One for each apostle they ignore (wasn't Paul the "replacement" for Judas? - they follow Paul closer than any of the others).

As individuals, -12 to maybe a 6 for those who really really believe and do good work.

I NEVER felt any spirituality or "connection" when I was growing up except for the time when I was about 5 and saw "Jesus" walking down the street and he told me I was going to grow up and be "0k". He was right . I tried prayer many times but felt I was talking to the wall (or my bed or...).

For me, it took going to AA while getting and staying sober to begin to grasp a "higher power" and tghe beginnings of a sense of spirituality. Like they say in AA: Religion is for those who fear hell. Spirituality is for those who have been there.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

This is a good thread, one that makes one think and go back over in your mind and try to think of truly spiritual people. I am sure their were a few, just can't name any who I really think were spiritual. One who many thought was spiritual, has her house decorated with WatchTower Paraphanelia Mags and Bound volumes, old calendars, etc. Any her whole life is wrapped up in Jehobbie ( the org) she definitely equates Jehovah with being the FDS. Its too bad, and ues they measure individuals spirituality via the amount of selling hours, mags sold, books sold, return visits on those who didnt buy or were not at home when the sales canvassing was going on.

Eat spiritual food at the table of Jehobbie, that b.s. about their meetings always made me want to puke, being in a spiritual paradise, with spiritual brothers and sisters, what a bunch of b.s.. Spiritual to them is invisible, just like their love and care about the common man and their own R&F.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit