Choices, if I could change only one.

by Fatfreek 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

If life were only like some rewriteable media -- rewind to where you'd change something, make a different choice, and proceed.

I'd go back exactly 50 years when I conceded, reluctantly, to study with the JW's alongside my parents. I was some 15 years old and, admittedly, naive. I lacked the wisdom. I lacked the resources that we have today -- JWD, the internet, etc.

I'd have just said NO!

That single choice has affected my life in more negative ways than any other decision that I can think of.

How about you? Which choice would you change if you only had one to change? If you had two?

Fats

• luna2
    luna2

Me too. Why did I have to study? I put the JW's off once, why didn't I do some research on them at that time and then tell them to jump in a lake when they came back? Getting involved with JWs is definitely a choice I'd like a do-over on.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Most serious bad/negative things that happened to me (those under human control) were a result of association with JWs or the ramifications of that association. Thus I would make the same choice you would--just say no! (if that is possible for a 6 yr old)

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Not only would I have declined a bible study, I should have taken steps to prevent the JWs from coming to the house and talking to my mom. That's what started the whole cycle of stupidity.

W

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

"Not only would I have declined a bible study, I should have taken steps to prevent the JWs from coming to the house and talking to my mom. That's what started the whole cycle of stupidity."

Yes, 'Finally', pulling them out by their roots -- the beginning of it all.

In my case, two years before. Dad went to our spare room with all my older brother's belongings. He had just run away from everything leaving his apartment and all its junk. There, amidst the junk, was this yellow hardbound book. Its name escapes me. Dad, being disabled from gainful employment, could do little more than read. He read it, he'd said, several times. He then wrote to the address on the back, subscribing to the Watchtower and asked them, "are there any people in my town who believe like this?". The rest is history.

A good rewrite would be to go into that room, confiscate the book and personally tote it to the dumpster.

Fats

• Ellie
    Ellie

I'd choose to stay at school and get a decent education.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

I wouldve studied earlier in my life as opposed to being a late graduate....but as they say...better late than never!

DB74

• jstalin
    jstalin

Ellie - it's never too late to go back to school!!

• Legolas
    Legolas

Oh my gawd ...Brain overload.....Too many to pick!

• Honesty
    Honesty

I put the Witnesses off once when I lived in Cincinnatti but agreed to study the Bible with one after I moved to Tennessee. If I had made him stick with the Bible instead of switching me to the little red book ( You know the one... YOU CAN LIVE FOREVER IN PARADISE ON EARTH) there is no way I would have allowed myself to be deceived into believing the lies of the WTBTS. It was 1989 and information was not as accessible as it is now but that is still no excuse for my stupidity. 3 or 4 weeks of research on the Fall of Jerusalem in 586/587 and discovering the UN/NGO affiliation by the hypocritical WTBTS in late 2004 helped me get out of the Lie. Now, I have children and step-children trapped in the cult of demons known as the Christian Congregation of Jehovah's Witnesses. Hopefully, one day they too will wake up and see the truth about the WT Lie.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit