Choices, if I could change only one.

by Fatfreek 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

I've often reflected on this, if for no other reason than I'm a writer and therefore allow myself to entertain thoughts which more realistic folks would not.

I wouldn't change anything.

I learned, from the JW's to lose any fear of meeting new people, even in awkward situations. I learned to take charge of a situation, of a conversation. I learned to debate effectively. I was taught public speaking, and how to research and outline a sermon.

Even the negative experiences with the JW's became my strengths. From their authoritarian stance I learned to question authority. From the herd mentality I learned to think for myself and stand on my own. From their fear-mongering I learned the value of love and inner peace. From their cruelty I learned the value of gentleness. From their distrust of intelligence and science I learned the value of intelligence and science. From their slipshod research and convoluted reasoning, I learned how to properly research and to use valid logic. From their dishonesty I learned to be open.

I cannot think of anything I experienced with the JW's that I was unable to turn into a strength. I might have learned these lessons elsewhere under other less painful circumstances, but the lessons and the results would not be nearly as profound and lasting. Yes, I was hurt terribly (my next book details just how terribly), but ultimately I became a stronger wiser man for it.

Nate

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit