Which of Franz's books is better, COC of CF?

by jwfacts 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

When I was rethinking the WTS I did most of my research by going back to old books and steering clear of "apostate" material, so I knew the wrong dates, pyramids etc and made my mind up before reading any apostate sites. When I finally read Crisis of Conscience I already knew a lot of the information in it, though I still really enjoyed it. However, even after I knew the WTS was a con I still did not have answers for some of the doctrines, like Great Crowd/Other Sheep and Organisation. For that reason I am enjoying Christian Freedom even more than COC.
    Which book did you enjoy more? Which is best for a WTS believer to read first?

• prophecor
    prophecor

Hi JWF. CoC was a much easier read for me to digest. ISOCF was just a bit over my head. Though I've been around the truth for a sizeable degree of my life, I was naive after becoming baptised because I was never really exposed to some of the heavier aspects of the JW lifestyle. I was basically the only one in my family trying to walk this road. I was never deeply entrenched in all the insider stuff that can come to you only when you've been raised in the truth.

• blindersoff
    blindersoff

I would go with CoC first. 'Freedom' at times makes reference to things that were covered in CoC & I feel like it builds on a foundation that CoC laid.

B

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

I enjoyed CF much better, but this is only because I read COC first, and had first-hand knowledge of some of the points made in this earlier book (I’m an x-Bethelite, with exposure to some “inside” knowledge). However, CF cemented in my mind, the true nature of Christianity, which I had not understood until reading Ray’s book. JW’s are not Christians, as I’m sure you are aware. However, many on this board no longer support any religious beliefs. This doesn’t disturb me, to each his own, but I’m still searching for truth, and I don’t degrade anyone with their beliefs beyond Watchtower!

• hubert
    hubert

I think someone who hasn't been brought up in the "troof", such as I, "C of C" is better. I read both books by Ray Franz, and "C of C" first. I didn't get as much out in ISOCF because much of it was over my head, too, because I never did any Bible study stuff.

Hubert

• luna2
    luna2

I'm having trouble getting into CF...mainly because I'm already convinced that the WTS is corrupt and the "truth" is really just another false religion. I'm going to force myself to read it, though, because I need to finish what I start and learn to be more thorough in my investigations.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

CF does logically follow on from COC. Luna, stick to it. The first couple of chapters are a bit wordy, but there is some really interesting things in it as you go. It makes me see that there is a benefit to Christianity. It is organised, institutionalised religion that has a lot to answer for.

• luna2
    luna2

Thanks, jwfacts. I'll keep plugging away at it. Good to know it gets easier to read as it goes along.

Argggh, either my connection or the site itself here is acting up. Guess that's my cue to stop trying to post and get ready for work.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Both raved for me.I liked CF best because it comforted me with coping tips.Ray said that the 'saints' lived a nomadic life in tents and like them we don't need to bond with an organization.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

They are basically sequels. CoC was written long before ISoCF. ISoCF makes numerous mentions of points in CoC as reference.

I read both - I think ISoCF I read three times.

They could be subtitled:

Crisis of Conscience - subtitle Why I Had to Leave!

In Search of Christian Freedom - subtitle What Do I Do Now That I Left?.

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit