Did Jehovah tell the first lie?

by nicolaou 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

Jeffro

Then there's that whole bit about Satan trying to get Jesus to disobey Jehovah. According to the Gospel of John, Jesus was actually at the wedding in

Can you please post the scriptures that back that statement up. I would love to have those in my arsenal.

Thanks

Clayton

• rebel8
    rebel8
    he posted a flaming sword at the gate.
    That made me realize something: How would Adam and Eve have recognized what a sword is when they saw it? It would have been a meaningless symbol to them since they did not know what a sword was, right?
    Swords were around by the time the author(s) of Genesis wrote it. Whether it actually happened is irrelevant, but if it did actually happen at all, then there was probably something spinning that impeded entry, which by the time it was written about, was likened to a sword as the most suitable description.

Hi Jeffro. I've thought about your response since I read it yesterday, but I can't agree with it. It wasn't likened to a sword; the text says it was a sword:

24 So (Z) He drove the man out; and at the (AA) east of the garden of Eden He stationed the (AB) cherubim and the flaming sword which turned every direction to guard the way to (AC) the tree of life. --New American Standard Bible, Genesis 3:24

I remember being taught as a JW the things Bible writers "likened" to such and such, which always seemed to me an attempt to gloss over an inconsistency or error. It still seems that way to me. Not that this sword thing is a major issue, but it brings up several unanswerable questions:

1. Why did Jehovah invent the sword? At that moment in human history, according to JW myth, humans were vegetarians and nonviolent. No need for weapons, and there is surely no mention of Adam and Eve creating metal objects in the Garden of Eve.
    2. Why would Jehovah use a sword to scare Adam and Eve away from the tree, when they didn't even know what a sword was?
    3. If the whole "likening" thing is the explanation, why wouldn't an infallible God ensure the writers said accurately, "like a sword" rather than "the flaming sword"? Why allow errors if you're omnipotent? Isn't the purpose of the Bible to inspire faith in God? Doesn't allowing errors tend to erode that entire purpose?
  • Jeffro
    Jeffro

rebel8

I remember being taught as a JW the things Bible writers "likened" to such and such, which always seemed to me an attempt to gloss over an inconsistency or error. It still seems that way to me. Not that this sword thing is a major issue, but it brings up several unanswerable questions:

That is simply the difference between a simile and a metaphor. Your first two questions justify my reasoning quite well.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

claytoncapelleti

Jeffro
    Then there's that whole bit about Satan trying to get Jesus to disobey Jehovah. According to the Gospel of John, Jesus was actually at the wedding in
    Can you please post the scriptures that back that statement up. I would love to have those in my arsenal.

The narrative in John chapter is a day-by-day account (John 1:29, 35, 43; 2:1), and on the third day, Jesus is in Cana of Galilee at the wedding. According to Matthew 4, Luke 4, and Mark 1:11-12, Jesus immediately went into the wilderness and fasted.

• claytoncapeletti
    claytoncapeletti

Thanks Jeffro

The narrative in John chapter is a day-by-day account (John 1:29, 35, 43; 2:1), and on the third day, Jesus is in Cana of Galilee at the wedding. According to Matthew 4, Luke 4, and Mark 1:11-12, Jesus immediately went into the wilderness and fasted.

There is a M.S that works for me and I am going to give this to him and ask him to explain how "God's Word" is wrong.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

It is widely recognized that G.John has been reordered. It is very likely the wedding scene followed the Samaritan at the well scene and the wedding was between Jesus and her. (wedding scene 3rd day following the two days in 4:40) The redactor goes to great pains to account for the shifting settings in 4:43-46. If taken as read Jesus did a great deal of walking in circles those 3 days.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

peacefulpete:

It is widely recognized that G.John has been reordered. It is very likely the wedding scene followed the Samaritan at the well scene and the wedding was between Jesus and her. (wedding scene 3rd day following the two days in 4:40) The redactor goes to great pains to account for the shifting settings in 4:43-46. If taken as read Jesus did a great deal of walking in circles those 3 days.

John 1:29 indicates 1 day since Jesus' baptism, v35 - 2 days, and v43 - 3 days, where Jesus is in Galilee which could reasonably place him at the wedding in Cana of Galilee on that day (the 3rd day). The only problem is that he was supposedly roving about the Wilderness. Even if the Cana event has been shifted from another location (which makes John 4:46 wrong), the events for the prior 2 days still conflict with the other gospels.

• JH
    JH

Satan is a master of half truths. What Satan said was true for a while, but eventually Adam and Eve died and won't be resurrected.

Now did Jehovah lie? He didn't spell out from the start when they would eventually die.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    John 1:29 indicates 1 day since Jesus' baptism

Jesus' baptism? In John?

(One discrepancy can hide another... )

• Scully
    Scully
    So when God told Adam he would die on that day,possibly he meant within a thousand years and not within that 24 hour period.

Jehovah explained that to Adam, somewhere, right?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit