We're all hypocrites!

by free2beme 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Golf
    Golf

freetobefree, for me, if I don't practice what I preach, I'm a hypocrite, no if's or but's about it. I'm talking about doing things in my everyday life.

I've implanted the following scripture in my mind, "..do you, however, the one teaching someone else, not teach yourself?" Romans 2:21

Golf

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

Hypocrisy is very pervasive in the JW's....as well as any Super Fundy Religion. When religions sets up such legalistic moral codes, the flock cannot possibly live up to all of them. The believer then forms a duality that allows him / her to function and appear pious. This duality has made one a hypocrite. IMHO, being a hypocrite is not a healthy state of being both mentally and emotionally. We should be ever vigilent about evaluating and eliminating hypocrisy from our lives.

As the Tao says:

The man of superior "righteousness" takes action, and has an ulterior motive to do so.
    The man of superior "propriety" takes action,
    And when people do not respond to it, he will stretch his arms and force it on them.

Sikhism says:

Some go to bathe at holy places--
    With hearts impure and faculties false.
    As one part of impurity they wash, twice more freshly stick to them.
    They washed themselves outside; inside they are full of deadly poison.
    The pure in soul are pure even without ritual bathing;
    The wicked will be wicked in all ritual performances.

Or maybe my favorite Jainism:

He who has the character of a sinner, though he lays great stress on the outward signs of his religious calling as a means of living, he who does not control himself though he pretends to do so, will come to grief for a long time.

As hemlock kills him who drinks it, as a weapon cuts him who awkwardly handles it, as a demon harms him who does not incant it, so the Law harms him who mixes it up with sensuality.

• free2beme
    free2beme
    if I don't practice what I preach, I'm a hypocrite, no if's or but's about it.

Actually, you may actually just be coming out of a cocoon of development and learning who you really are. Not a hypocrite, but someone realizing you do not believe what you preach.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I will offer an observation based on Bushman's Logic here:

- Given that we are all imperfect, the only person who is not a hypocrite is the one who is totally unprincipled!

Also, regarding the way in which the term "Hypocrite" is all too often bandied about as an insult:

- It has been my experience that the ones making the loudest accusations are amongst the worst offenders (Does that make them hypocrites amongst hypocrites?)

Jack.

• free2beme
    free2beme

Good quotes

• Golf
    Golf

freetobeme, we're all in a 'cocoon of developement.' In simple language, I don't tell nor advise people something I myself don't practice, I keep my mouth shut!

Golf

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit