We're all hypocrites!

by free2beme 25 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I firmly believe that if you talk to someone long enough and know someone long enough, you will learn they are a hypocrite. I don't think anyone can remain on one theme in their life forever and stick with it, as life is just to much about change to allow this and the human experience is about learning and changing. When I see people quote others and yell the inevitable "hypocrite" comment in their direction. I actually see it as something we should expect. Maybe the person calling you a hypocrite, has just not learned that lesson yet. I think the weakness we have, is that we trust to much, and that is why we feel let down when we discover this in people. Now the organization we belonged to is no different, except for the fact that they do not see themselves as hypocritical and we do. What should not be a shock though, it that we grew enough to see this. So if the religion you once said, "you would die for," is hypocritical, then why can't your friends and family be. I actually respect people who admit to being hypocritical, even if it is joking in statements like "... I guess that makes me a hypocrite" or "... looks like I am being a little hypocritical here." Why should we put forth a ton of effort, acting like were not ... or better yet, that we might not be now, but were going to be?

hypocrite : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold

If you are saying something today and think you will without a doubt feel and believe that way in future years, then you are not learning from your past history very well and may want to rethink your thinking.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

we're all hypocrites? or where have all the hypocrites gone? ;)

If you are saying something today and think you will without a doubt feel and believe that way in future years, then you are not learning from your past history very well and may want to rethink your thinking.

re-thinking IS thinking.

but anyways, what is the point of re-thinking our thinking, if we're all hypocrites anyways? if we're all hypocrites, then just keep thinking what you're already thinking! which is ALSO a form of re-thinking.

heh... cool...

TS

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I know I have been labelled a hypocrite a few tiomes on this board - good job I have thick skin

• free2beme
    free2beme

I edited it, sometimes I type faster then I think ... happens a lot!

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

And that's why I'm the tall penguin. I know I'm a contradiction in terms. And I'm okay with that.
    tp

• John Doe
    John Doe
    but anyways, what is the point of re-thinking our thinking, if we're all hypocrites anyways? if we're all hypocrites, then just keep thinking what you're already thinking! which is ALSO a form of re-thinking.

You're being sloppy tonight, Tetra. ;-) This is a false dichotomy akin to saying "If we all stink at times anyway, why take a bath?"

I think the point is--and I happen to agree with it--that we shouldn't use the term "hypocrite" as an insult. To do so would be hypocritical. [knug knug knug] We are all hypocrites, some more knowingly than others. Our goal, however, shoud not be to deny our own hypocrisy, but rather we should look for it and be willing to change when we see contradictions in evidence. Seeking out our own hypocrisy should be more important than looking for others'. Would you not agree?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    You're being sloppy tonight, Tetra. ;-) This is a false dichotomy akin to saying "If we all stink at times anyway, why take a bath?"

hey man,

this is with the assumption that the illustration is analogous. a stinky state is an undesireable one. but if *everyone* is hypocritical, then there is no need to work towards the implied higher order, or pinnacle of development. the place where we will finally sit back and relax and say: "nice. i'm not a hypocrite anymore."

:) but i do agree that we're all hypocrites. i am just not so fast to say that there is even a path out of hypocracy. whereas the way away from stinkyness is a bath.

he he

cheers,

TS

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    And that's why I'm the tall penguin. I know I'm a contradiction in terms. And I'm okay with that.

Emperor penguins grow to over a metre, which is pretty tall as far as birds go.

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

When I was 3, I loved to take bubble baths...today I still love to take BB's...nothing hypocritical there.

Here's what you listed as definition:

hypocrite : a person who professes beliefs and opinions that he does not hold

The emphasis has to be put on the word "professes", which means that you never really believed, just appeared as if you did. That in my opinion is the hypocritical part...changing your belief system because you find out you have been lied to...well that's just good sense in my book.

Swalker

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"Emperor penguins grow to over a metre, which is pretty tall as far as birds go."
    Thanks for this tidbit Jeffro. I'm almost 6 feet tall which makes me the tallest penguin I know. ;)
    The penguin is also a contradiction in being a flightless bird. But as a friend once said to me, "penguins fly in liquid sky," so I don't let it get me down. :)
    tp

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit