Is Anyone Else Sad Today?

by Ms. Whip 26 Replies latest jw friends

• riko
    riko
    man that sucks (that's - man...that sucks - as opposed to a man that engages in a sucking type manoeuvre)

lol! That cheered me up on it's own

FlyingHighNow, is that really true? I'm never going to look at food ads the same (great dieting strategy I think)

It's not Thanksgiving here either but I'm feeling sad too. Yesterday was the 2year anniversary of my sister-in-law's death, she died in her mid-twenties and it was a crushing blow to everyone. I'm more sad for my brother than anyone else but I know it affected everyone. I think when winter sets in and xmas approaches, feelings of missing someone are heightened, but it's definately time to remember exactly what you do have

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

(((((Ms. Whip)))))

First of all, I understand. Holidays can be really lonely. But only if you buy into the marketing hype like someone else mentioned. It really helps to just remember that it's a four-day weekend and you get time to do what YOU want. Clean the house, get a pedicure or massage, read a book, treat yourself to a nice meal out, etc. You make this weekend what YOU want it to be.

It might help to get involved in community activities...like signing up to serve dinner for the homeless at Christmas! A lot of people that celebrate the holidays feel that there is something missing...and it helps when you do good things for others not so fortunate, but always remember to pamper yourself as well! You are important too!

I think this is really great advice. Many years ago, Thanksgiving depressed me. But I started helping my church cook on Thanksgiving morning for the homeless. We don't serve them at the church, but we box the Thanksgiving meal (turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes, green beans, and all the trimmings) into individual meal boxes and take them to homeless shelters and underpasses. We partner with another church to do the actual delivery and it's AWESOME. Seriously. I started this years ago when I had NOBODY in my life. Today I still do it, even though I have my husband's lovely family as my own. It was interesting to find that they've been doing the same thing all these years and I never knew it. We could have been working side by side and I had no clue.

All that to say that there are people out there that are really down and out. And they could use your encouragement on a holiday like this. Especially if they knew that you are going through the same loneliness. Partner up with a soup kitchen or a local shelter. Help take care of those less fortunate. Seeing what they go through REALLY makes you focus on what you have...not what you don't have.

Blessings,

Andi

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow, is that really true? I'm never going to look at food ads the same (great dieting strategy I think)

Yes, it is true. Food doesn't always photograph well and look delicious. If you're trying to sell food, you want it to look delicious.So they enhance it. Ice-cream will melt very quickly, so they have to use biscuits and other things to portray it. With chicken and turkey, the bake the bird partially and then paint it with a stain. That way, it still looks plump and not dried out or raw. Whipped cream will melt and lose it's air, so they take eggwhites and beat them to a stiff consistency and then use a pastry bag with attachments to squeeze out the shape they want. They bake it so that it won't melt or change shape. There have been documentaries about this. That is where I learned it.

Sometimes you will see food that is just cooked, prepared the normal way and then photographed. It looks horrible, usually.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I was sad, at my cousin's funeral. He was only 46. But the funeral was amazingly different, which cheered me up a bit:

As well as family, there were many hippy types and bikers - his mates. We walked in to a rendition by Bob Marley of Exodus. No hymns & hardly any prayers - mainly readings about his life from family & friends, and more regae music which he loved. We heard redemption songs, again my Bob Marley and as the coffin disappeared there were e few smiles and chuckles as well as tears. Because he had arranged for them to play at this point another Marley track. It started with a familiar whistled tune, then Marley belts out to the reggae beat "Don't worry... - be happy".

And the preacher was a woman, she was a great comfort to Rob's kids, and seemed as genuinely moved as the rest of us.A great send off to the guy I spend many fun weekends with when we were 12 & 13. Just how he planned it. He also had poems and songd in his own hand, prepared for this day, on each seat for us to read, along with his photo - dreadlocks & all. Very positive writing that made us all feel good, somehow. All in all, a surreal but uplifting experience.

• marsh
    marsh

I am feeling for all of you ((((((((hugs))))))))) makes me realise how fortunate I am in having family,they all left the JWS,and all live 5 mins away from me. I have Christmas now but it took me a while and I still try to keep it simple.

Isaiah 7:14 "Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign:behold the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son,and shall call His name Immanuel'

Mathew 1 :23, "Behold ,the virgin shall be with child,and bear a Son and they shall call His name Immanuel," which is translated ,"God with us".

If there is anything I can do to help anyone please let me know.

Godbless.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No I am deliriously happy - I just got laid

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    I just got laid

I'm jealous.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit