Did you gain anything, for being a JW all those years?

by JH 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JH
    JH

The only thing I gained, was a limited biased knowledge of the bible.

How about you, did you gain anything in all those years spent as a JW?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

A healthly disrespect for the watchtower bible and tract society

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

I learned the same things JH & Mrsjones did, plus your ordinary average "don't be an a**hole" type values. I'd say the results after leaving are a strong disprespect and/or distrust of any organized religion, especially Christian based. Big Willy

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I learned how to sleep with my eyes open durning talks.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Probably saved me from killin' meself.

• Kaput
    Kaput

A library of JW publications I could probably get some $$$ for on ebay.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Everybody I know on this forum.

• serendipity
    serendipity

The traits of discipline, self-control, the idea to do all things for God's glory has helped me to keep a job while annual layoffs occur around me.

The idea that Satan controls the world -including the government and business - has helped me to cope with understanding the evil in the world.

The courage to defend unpopular convictions.

I learned to be comfortable and even celebrate my uniqueness - cuz let's face it, JWs are different.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Everybody I know on this forum

Yes, I don't imagine any of us would be here without the jws, and the friends we make on here could well be the only long lasting gain any of us really make.

I made many friends in the org, but none of them will be friends anymore, now I'm out

• whiteliesdarklifes
    whiteliesdarklifes

Well this is a very interesting subject, you betcha.

I gained a hope in the resurrection of the dead, the restoring of the paradise (I remember the totally hype sessions of

"paradise visualizations" when the brothers used to imagine just how wonderful-come on!-will be), the joy of Jehovah

(very close in its JW version to Stalin Proletarian Joy, I say).

The problem is(yes, there is allways a problem, you know) that all that stuff is just shit.

THE QUESTION IS NOT IF WE GAIN SOMETHING BEING A JW: IS DID WE LOST EVERYTHING?.

I think we didn`t because we are here, talking, THINKING BY OURSELVES.

That's very much.

Really.

Best Regards.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit