Once life is discovered outside outside the realm of earth...

by undercover 27 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

How will it affect you?

AA's thread on scientist's "creating" life got me to thinking about how people would react if life was discovered on other planets or solar systems.

The movie "Contact" explored that some along with how faith and science combat but yet complement each other.

Would life on other planets pretty much destroy much of Earth's religious myths?

• TopHat
    TopHat

Well, God never said he DIDN'T create live somewhere else in the Universe...did he?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The bases are already covered....the Society published an article 15 years ago or so on the possibility of extraterrestial life, where they said indeed, of course there's extraterrestial alien life.

(i.e. demons and angels)

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, now, extraterrestrial life would create yet another logical connundrum for the society.

You see, the issue of universal sovereignty has originated on the earth. If advanced life existed elsewhere, prior to human life, then the issue would have already been settled - either they sinned and had to go through the whole court case, or they didn't sin, and the case is already settled. So, unless the life found is less advanced than human life, they have a problem.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

(leo -

I bow my head in shame at your misrepresentation.

The article said yes there was extra terrestrial life namely ANGELS.

They implied that if God had created physical life he would have told the FDS about it, and that if God had created intelligent life on other planets it rendered the whole test and ransom of Adam and Jesus a waste of time.

( at the last I thought of the parable where the shepherd leaves the 99 sheep to find the lost one - you know 99 faithful "ur" couples) see CS lewis on this...

The other "proof" of no intelligent ETs (FDS, ' member?) was that in 100 years of wireless telegraphy, we had not heard anything from anybody. Bearing in mind the speed of radio waves, it only shows that there is no advanced radio able civilization within less than 50 light years who can communicate with us.

HB

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ya, what runningman said.

something like this would be yet another blow to the concept of humans being a special creation and at the center of god's plans for the universe.

i think that if there were a omnimax god that gave half a rats ass about us, he would set up some sort of communication between these life forms so that we could all know that we're not alone, and make us feel better about our own existence. then again he would have shown himself conclusively a long time ago too.

i would love to know that we are not alone. it would change me a lot probably. there would be some hope that working together with another civilization, or even just that life was possible elsewhere, would give me optimsm about the future of our species. it would also establish the theory of evolution as a fundamental aspect of the entire universe, and not just life on earth. i already think it is, but have no evidence to support my hypothesis as of yet.

TS

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

*** g90 11/8 p. 11 UFO’s—Can They Be Identified? ***

The Bible also speaks of extraterrestrials, spirit creatures, such as obedient angels and disobedient, rebellious angels who became demons. Down through Bible history, God on many occasions used faithful angels to communicate with men.

g90 4/8 p. 9 Extraterrestrials—Finding the Answer ***

According to the Bible, extraterrestrial life not only exists but exists in abundance. It is more complex, more interesting, and more believable than anything that evolutionists, science-fiction writers, and moviemakers have dreamed up. After all, an extraterrestrial is simply a being who originates outside this earth and its atmosphere.

Scientists wonder if there might be life-forms beyond our ability to detect. The Bible assures us that such beings do indeed exist. But they are not the products of evolution. Like all life in the universe, in whatever form, they came from the Source of life, Jehovah God. He is a spirit Being, and he has created myriads of other spirit beings of different types: angels, cherubs, and seraphs. They perform different work and functions in his intricate heavenly organization.—Psalm 104:4; Hebrews 12:22; Revelation 19:14.

• gumby
    gumby
    Would life on other planets pretty much destroy much of Earth's religious myths?

I definately feel peoples religious faith would at least be challenged.

In christendom we are told god sent his son to earth to die for us as a onetime offering. If god had also started life as we see on earth on another planet(s).....and they screwed up too.......who would he send as a redeemer?

Gumby

• heathen
    heathen

It wouldn't change my opinion at all . I think alot of christian religions are tampering with the evolution theory anyway so don't think that they would call it quits . I in no way exspect for man to find intelligent life on other planets . little green men ....PUHHHHHHHHHHHHLEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZEEEEE

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

Actually this is one of my favorite daydreams... The giant alien space craft lands in central park. Thousands of people throng around it! Giant headed silver aliens proceed down the long ramp. Some deluded Christian maniac runs forward and screams "are you from JESUS???" The aliens look at each other in confusion and say, "Jebus? Who is Jebus?"

Of course then the fundies try to blow them up, but thats a different story!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit