Higher Education deal again.

by pc 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Jourles
    Jourles
    The sad thing is that most employers, at least in the professional world look at bachelors degrees as the equivalent of high school diplomas because basic education just isn't cutting it anymore. To have a high school diploma now means nothing. Congratulations, you're qualified to do menial labor.

Speaking from experience, this isn't always the case. I work for the largest telecommunications company in the nation(wireless arm) and there are quite a few people that do not have degrees in my field. I dropped out of college and did not finish. I have plans to go back, but only with learning in mind. I really could care less about the piece of paper. I just want to learn more about my job and utilize the tools which are offered to become an even better employee.

Sure, if your desire is to make upper management, then that degree will most likely be needed. But on the front lines where all of the technical work is done, just good ol' fashioned experience is the qualifier. Most of us tech folks make more than some of the managers -- that's what happens when you are non-exempt(OT). Personally, I have no intention of moving up. I love my job and it pays extremely well. I'm the type of person who likes to have his fingers in all the pies. I would get bored if I was no longer able to do hands-on work on all of our equipment. The wireless field is rapidly changing every year, and we're only getting to the fun stuff now.

• forsharry
    forsharry
    I dropped out of college and did not finish. I have plans to go back, but only with learning in mind.

Well then I have to say you certainly are quite lucky. However, you did go to college...I've got to assume that you picked up telecommunication knowledge from 'somewhere.' I have a bachelors and it took me FOREVER to get a job in my field, they WILL NOT look at you unless you have either a degree of some kind (associates or bachelors), or come from "old-school" where you taught yourself and you have about 15 years of experience under your belt...and even then I don't make all that much money...definitely not enough to afford an apartment (in upscale-ghetto) on my own. I'm married and I have a roommate in my apartment so that we can make ends meet...and we're ALL college graduates. My roommate has a Masters in physical therapy. I have a bachelors in Fine Arts - Computer Graphics Design, and my husband has a degree in Engineering.

A college degree has great value in the job market, but probably not for the reasons you think. Many employers seek college graduates for their skills in writing, problem solving, organization, research, and critical thinking. These are transferable skills: you can develop them in any college major, and use them in almost every workplace.

Why is this? Because (at least in the U.S.) the majority of high school graduates LACK these skills. That was the point that I ultimately was trying to get at. If you're good at what you do, say web developing...you can have your work speak for yourself. You MIGHT be able to pick up a job based on showing the potential employer what mad skillz you be havin' yo. However, the HR department will in many cases kick your resume out because you don't score high enough on their points scale to even warrant an interview if you don't have a higher education diploma. To them, you haven't merited their attention because you could very well lack the transferrable skills that they're looking for.

But of course, what am I saying. God will provide.

Forsharry (Of the Gradjewmawated Class)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My uncle (by marriage to my father's sister, had 8 kids of which 3 had or have drug problems, also is a long time jw) once said to my father that if he had it to do over again he would have recommended to his kids that they stay in school and go to college (none of them went).

• Jourles
    Jourles
    or come from "old-school" where you taught yourself and you have about 15 years of experience under your belt.

You almost nailed it there. I was always into electronics from a very young age. I picked up a resellers license when I turned 16 from the state of CA. I did the usual teenage car audio thing and was able to hold down some decent earnings without having to find a 'real' job. Instead of going to the store to buy electronics gear, I bought it from wholesalers and turned around and sold it to friends and other customers(back then, making a profit was easy - there was no Ebay or internet retailers to compete with). I did their installs too with EIA installation certification to boot. When I moved to CO, I wanted to get into cellular badly. That was one aspect of electronics that I never dealt with in CA. I got hired on with the then largest cellular company in the states(AT&T Wireless, McCaw prior to that) as a service tech repairing phones and installing them. I simply climbed the ladder from there.

Sorry to give my life history on this, but I wanted some readers to know that if you really put forth the effort into something you love doing, then it is very possible that you can make it without a degree. I just wanted to show the other side of the coin(balanced).

Telecommunications goes hand in hand with electronics and computers. I've always been around both for as long as I can remember. It's a great industry to be in, especially the wireless side.

Oh, and what I took in college had absolutely no bearing on what I am doing today. The educational path I began to take would have kept me in an office all of the time - I couldn't see myself doing that for a living so I killed it. Glad I did.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I can't speak for the org. at large, but the college issue is precisely what brought me here.

I have been raised in the "truth," have served at Bethel, pioneered, etc... and this IS the straw that is breaking my back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit