Higher Education deal again.

by pc 14 Replies latest jw friends

• pc
    pc

Does anyone think this whole thing about college could be a big breaking point within the congregations. I am sure alot of the parents of these kids did not go to college because of what the society preached. Do you think that they might just look at themselves and realize what a mistake it was not to go to school? Does anyone think that is maybe a better stance to take with JW's who might seem alittle tired of waiting for "THE END". I sneakly started saying to my dad about someone I know who is about thirty and they didn't go to college and things are tough for them. I said I can't believe anyone in this day and age wouldn't go to college. I kept go on and on about it and he said nothing!

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

PC, it's already starting to be a big deal - an elder I know disagrees on the view of higher education and is still going to send his son to university.

This could be the straw that breaks the camels back.

Basically, the Society is telling young witnesses that you CAN'T go to college! You MUST make full time service your career.

Funny, you won't find career counselors advocating Bethel!

• minimus
    minimus

Truth, this elder's going to get deleted.

• forsharry
    forsharry

The sad thing is that most employers, at least in the professional world look at bachelors degrees as the equivalent of high school diplomas because basic education just isn't cutting it anymore. To have a high school diploma now means nothing. Congratulations, you're qualified to do menial labor. They've got to realize just how they're crippling their children to even be able to take care of themselves. But again...this is the psychosis of this religion...throwing it on god saying "Jehovah will provide for me." Oh yeah...that's contradictory. Don't test god...if that's not a test, then I don't know what is.

Forsharry (Of the I Could Bash this Dogma Forever Class)

• carla
    carla

All I know is my jw is still saying that the wt is not saying you 'can't' go, just that it would be more beneficial to pioneer instead. Us 'outsiders' do not understand because we don't believe in any wt stuff anyway. We are more interested in material gain than in God's kingdom. blah,blah,blah.........

• caligirl
    caligirl

I agree that the degree is what earns you the paycheck. And from what I have seen, it does not seem to matter in many instances WHAT your college degree is in, just that you have it. I know several people that landed excellent jobs simply because they have a degree. The degree really says that you have gained knowledge, and mastered critical thinking skills. It doesn't guarantee you a job.

• daystar
    daystar

It's a huge deal. My mother is stout JW. She often defends the indefensable. However, I mentioned the recent Watchtower article to her because in flipping through her copy, I noticed that she had not underlined anything in the first two, related to "getting an education" from the JWs. I mentioned that it's odd that they would bring this back up when they seemed to have backed off on it. She agreed! When I then said it is very disappointing, she didn't attempt to defend at all.

Now THAT is a breakthrough!

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

I don't know if we're being too hopeful here. I mean the hardcore jw's survived failed predictions and fickle new "light" episodes. Why should we expect this to NOT blow over in their minds? JW's thrive in spite of the provisional edicts "inspired" at Bethel HQ. They see this as God's test to their loyalty. Even some who disagree are of the opinion that, like everything else, Jehovah will mend things in His own time.

INQ

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

Min, he is watching his back, trust me.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

The elder mentioned at the outset - any attempts at "deleting" him must be preceded with a deed as bold as teaching the congregation from the platform that the WTS has acted in oversight on the issue of higher education.

THEN will the stormtroopers and bounty hunters be released onto him.

And I shall fight by this rogue elder's side with my trusty double-sided light-sabre and any hairy Bible-wielding Wookie who cares to join our Cause.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit