Negative JW's

by pc 20 Replies latest jw friends

• pc
    pc

It's funny to me to notice, for the most part JW's are such negative people. When I speak with my dad or brother who are staunch JW's the glass is always half empty. Everything is depressing. Do you think that changes when you get out, or do alot of those people stay that way? Were you that way when you were in? I was always a pretty upbeat person, but now when I look back I see myself as a real downer sometimes. Now I try to change a situation for the better instead of joining in on the negativity. Even through all the sadness I have been left with I try to find something good about most situations.

NOW FOR ALL THE WISE GUY REMARKS BEGIN..... (Oh like people starving, little kids beaten, old ladies shot for grogery money, soliders killed, and they go on and on..you can really find the upbeat part of all this)

• daystar
    daystar

Well, look at the premise of the entire religion. Death for billions is coming any day now. If you're not near-perfect in the WBTS definition you are going to die in this. Don't plan for the future because there is none to speak of.

Yep, I can say that made me a pretty negative person. Being raised in it, that demon that was built into me by that cult has been a hard one to battle.

• jula71
    jula71

Negative?....let's explore, we live on a Earth ruled by Satan, everyone will be killed when the end comes (even people we like), who knows when the end will come, have a sucky job with little or no money because they never went to college, have to go to 5 meetings a week, have to wake up early on weekends to knock on stranger's doors, ....I don't see any reasons to be negative!!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Yep, I can say that made me a pretty negative person. Being raised in it, that demon that was built into me by that cult has been a hard one to battle.

Ditto, and wouldnt ya know it I married a very positive and upbeat person. It balances things out and helps make me a bit more positive too.

• vitty
    vitty

If you answer positively you get strange looks. My mum is a lways going on about the enviroment, when I said it just goes in cycles and its no worse than it was 1,000 years ago, shes astounded ( I cant make my mind up about global warming yet I just say it to shut her up )

Your suppose to go on and on about how awful everthing is

• daystar
    daystar

Not to mention that everyone is basically evil from birth.

• anewme
    anewme

Great topic!
    My heart started to pound loudly when I began to read the posts.

The negativity nearly killed me in the JWs!!!!!!!

Some of us are more sensitive than others. It is ABSOLUTELY DANGEROUS for some to dwell on negative sad things.

I have to guard my mind all the time. Fortunately I married this bright lamp of goodness and love in this world, my husband. He has helped me to train my thinking to be more positive.

This forum has helped alot too! I am vigilant in my listening.

When I hear negativity I immediately counter it with calm reason and balance it with the positive things I know are going on.

Also I refuse to be treated like a BAD SLAVE anymore. I am NOT bad!
    (baby steps)

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

I agree with the diagnosis of programmed/ingrained depression inherant in the JW lifestyle. I also was strongly discouraged from attending college and getting "worldly knowledge". My poor sister had to fight tooth and nail to get my parents to sign off on a form that said they were NOT supporting her financially so she could get financial aid for college. They were so paranoid about anything involving education they strung her out for several months just on this form alone. Eventually she got past that and has done very well for herself (graduated from a 4 year college last year or the year before). I have managed to do okay for myself without the college education, but I could have had more/better paying options had i recieved the education.

Looking back, I remember having what can best be described as a hazy numb feeling the whole time I was growing up. It's a wierd feeling that I can't describe with words, but I especially remember feeling strangely out of sinc with reality.

My wife (neverwuzadub) has been very important in enabling me to enjoy my life and the people/things in it. She provides much levity and helps with an overall positive outlook

Often if I am feeling bummed she will sing;

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life Some things in life are bad,
    They can really make you mad,
    Other things just make you swear and curse,
    When you're chewing life's gristle,
    Don't grumble,
    Give a whistle
    And this'll help things turn out for the best.
    And...

Always look on the bright side of life.
    [ whistle ]
    Always look on the light side of life.
    [ whistle ]

If life seems jolly rotten,
    There's something you've forgotten,
    And that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing.
    When you're feeling in the dumps,
    Don't be silly chumps.
    Just purse your lips and whistle.
    That's the thing.
    And...

[ whistle ]
    Always look on the right side of life,
    [ whistle ]

For life is quite absurd
    And death's the final word.
    You must always face the curtain with a bow.
    Forget about your sin.
    Give the audience a grin.
    Enjoy it. It's your last chance, anyhow.
    So,...

Always look on the bright side of death,
    [ whistle ]
    Just before you draw your terminal breath.
    [ whistle ]

Life's a piece of shit,
    When you look at it.
    Life's a laugh and death's a joke it's true.
    You'll see it's all a show.
    Keep 'em laughing as you go.
    Just remember that the last laugh is on you.
    And...

Always look on the right side of life.
    [ whistle ]

Always look on the bright side of life!
    [ whistle ]
    [ whistle ]
    [ whistle ]
    [ whistle ]
    [ whistle ]
    [ whistle ]
    [ whistle ]
    [ whistle ] Repeat to fade...

Good stuff eh

Big Willy

• schne_belly
    schne_belly

Negative? Sure, you're always told how you need to improve. Put in more service time, have more Bible studies, Answer more questions, improve on personal study...etc. You were never good enough...especailly if you were your own person and didn't allow them to fully control you. That attitude has still somewhat stuck with me. I'm always putting myself down, even when I should just be satisfied.

• Quentin
    Quentin

Oh yeah...I was pre 1975...dropped out of High School in the eleventh grade...took a job in a mobile home factory for a buck fifty an hour, owned by JWs by the way...those were the heady days... the end was upon us, no need to plan for the future, don't marry and if you did don't have kids...if you didn't pioneer go door to door as much as possible...recruit, recruit, recruit...get those bible studies, save as many as you can, so you can save yourself...

But, it's always been so in the WTS...you can never be good enough, do enough, or be theocratic enough to please Jehovah...the message is the same, yesterday, today and will not change tomorrow...your a wretch and don't deserve anything except what Jehovah God gives you...who knows, he might even let you live...gee, wouldn't that be a bonus?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit