My friends experience at elder school

by Grouper 22 Replies latest jw friends

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Great story Grouper, thanks for posting it. I wonder how long it will be untill your friend is posting here?

• Grouper
    Grouper

Robdar- I actually lived with my friend longer than our schooling experience and that is where we experienced many of the JW underground experiences with different in crowds, but yes I did not receive a liberal arts degreee.

My intent in speaking about the brother that got a masters degree in ceramics is not to belittle that degree since I am in favor of individuals pursuing education in whatever they love. This brother may have not been able to get the high paying job as someone receiving a degree in computer science, engineering, business administration, etc........... but if this is what he enjoys, the more power to him. Hopefully he would strive to be the best in his field. The issue once againg like in many other situation is the WT, how disengenouis can they be about their higher education bashing.

I would respect this religion a great lot more in they didn't speak out of both ends of their mouths.

• Grouper
    Grouper

Nic- actually he has posted four to six times recently, he joined a few weeks ago but has been lurking for some time. He just did not want to post this but was ok with me posting for him

• Golf
    Golf

Greetings Grouper. What is it about this education thing? "...school helped to be 10% ready for the real world?" If that's the case, what's the % of not getting an education in getting ready for the real world?

"At least the people in the dorms did not drink on Friday night and preach on Saturday morning." Hmmmmmmm, you mean not smelling beer breath?

Golf

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Grouper,
    I'd love to hear some of your experiences of the JW underground. I was out West and things never went much past heavy drinking. We always heard stories of the beach suburbs and what they got up to but never knew how true they were.
    My mother is a Circuit Overseers wife (COW). She is very approachable and relates well the the young ones but they never admit to their wrongdoing to her or Dad. She is convinced that most of the young ones are crispy clean. Yet I have been hearing rumours that the young ones on their circuit are really shocking and use the congs as a meeting point. Do you have any interesting stories?
    My step son is 18 and not an active JW and he has been going to worldly parties and Witness ones and said he can't see any difference.

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

InfamousOne said:

as much as id like to agree cuz it makes the witnesses look bad, that isnt true at all... like i work hard at skool... im triple majoring and looking to go for my PhD... but ill tell u, my university life has brought baou much more drinkin, much more sex and much more partyin... they dont want us in school cuz they dont want us to think...

True, but how long will you be able to keep up that schedule? Something will have to give eventually. Hopefully it won't be your education.

-ithinkisee

• mjarka911
    mjarka911

This straw man about drugs and sex only in college falls apart when you consider threads from former bethelites about some of their experiences.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Yes it is a straw man! People will do what it is in their hearts to do. If they're into the sex, drugs and drinking scene, they'll do that whether they are students or pioneers.

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I actually went to college 1969-1970...with my dad's encouragement. (he was an elder who believed in education....1 in a million) No one dared challenge him in the congregation.... I was an idiot and quit to get married.... I never partied in college. I lived at home.... had a 3.8 gpa. I did learn the art of critical thinking while there...it just took a very long time for it to kick in.

Coffee

• minimus
    minimus

This is all about the DUMBING DOWN of those in the Organization. It's sad seeing this mindless Bethel filth being pushed on everyone.....If we can't see this is a C U L T -------there's no hope.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit