Do you believe that Religion benefits mankind?

by jeanniebeanz 50 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar
    If it could be, you would have to accept it, whether it harmed mankind or not. After all, it had been proven to be the truth, right?
    Not quite following you on this one since there is a big difference between truth and fact. I'll go with fact.

You say tomato...

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Do you believe that Religion benefits mankind?

in a modern, 21st century/first world sense, no i don't think so.

i do think that monotheism, for all it's garbage, actually facillitated the modern world that we have now. that ability to bring large numbers of people together under a single auspice ideal, is a monotheistic phenomenon, IMO. satanus and i have talked about this several times.

so, if you are in love with our modern world (i am 50/50 personally), then monotheism is *partly* to thank.

all in all, i think religion is just organized drug use.

in the Myth of Sisyphus, Albert Camus said, regarding suicide, that suicide is the inability of some to confront "nothingness". i have the same sort of view of religion and even un-organized magical thinking: the inability to accept "nothingness", or "meaninglessness".

IMHO, there will always be religion as long as there are humans. i am a pessimist in this regard. i just don't think that large populations of humans can be godless. there will always be people who *need* to worship something. to *beleive* that there is something greater than them, and that they are not alone, and that their existence has some special property.

what can i say? i pretty much hate religion, but i don't really kid myself in thinking that it will someday be gone. *that*, my friends, would be a magical thought.

;)

TS

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

And that, my friend, would be a very balanced post!

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

- it's the drugs. i'm way more easy going these days. i like myself better.

cheers mate,

ts

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace

I would like to see a day when John Lennon's words come true.

So no, I don't think religion is particularky beneficial to anyone, it didn't do me much good.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Tetra,

That was a great post. Religion attempts to answer a question for which there is yet no provable answer: where did we come from and where are we going? What's the point in all this? I like the point on some not being able to accept that there may be no meaning.

I believe that this is where religion takes advantage of people in a big way.

J

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

The pursuit of faith - yes. Guided by an organised religion - no, it does the exact opposite.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Is religion really about answering that question?

And if that's all it's really about, how does it differ from science, in it's goal (if not it's means)?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

science does answer those questions, technically.

but no one seems to be interested in the technical answers because either they are not interested in (valuing) technical things, OR, the technical answers lack meaning, OR, both.

which is fine i suppose. people can search for metaphysical and philosophical answers to those questions all they like. it doesn't change what the data says.

TS

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    people can search for metaphysical and philosophical answers to those questions all they like. it doesn't change what the data says.

I agree. That is so well put.

J

*begins making a log of Tetras 'way with words'*

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit