Family Reunion

by Cori 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Cori
    Cori

This past weekend, I attended my family's annual reunion (scheduled a week before thanksgiving, and they served turkey...hmmm) and became literally sick because they are all JW and talked of nothing else. I finally realized how sad the normal JW's life is. They really have nothing else going for them, thats why the thought of leaving is so unbelievable. (At one point, they talked heavily over the territory divisions for the preaching work....)

My Dad took the opportunity to speak to me privately about all the meetings I have been missing. The conversation went a little like this....

Dad: Son, wanted to talk to you a little about your meeting attendance. You have to get your act together...

Me: (I smile)

Dad: The system of things is so close to its end, we really should be doing everything we can for Jehovah...(spiritual guilt trip)

I nod my head.

Dad: If not for yourself, then do it for your daughter...she deserves to live (family death guilt trip)

I look away

Dad: I know you have been through alot with the elders, but Jehovah's org is made up of imperfect men...(sorry excuse)

I smile again

Dad: Jehovah should not pay for these mens mistakes....(I bite my tongue)

He went on for several more minutes, repeating himself, until someone finally interrupted. It pains me to see my folks so caught in something that is lying to them....Sorry for the long post, just to needed to vent.

Cori

• pratt1
    pratt1

Your Dad sounds alot like my Mom. She even uses the same term "get my act together".

When ever my family gather togther everthing seems to revolve around their religion including the conversation.

I know exactly how you feel.

They may never wake up.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Too many of us know exactly how you feel...

J

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

ditto

• Cori
    Cori

It becomes really frustrating...you would think they would have common sense....

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

It's almost like all of our parents are the sme littel bobbleheads with different face stickers. They all seem to say the exact same things. I'm prettyr sure I've had the same exact conversation with my paternal unit (lost the privilege of parent terms). I no longer give them the benefit of feeling sorry for them and all of their small mindedness. Their failure to accept reality and inability to think outside the box extend into the realm of the ridiculous.

Big Willy

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    paternal unit

lol that's what I call my parents too!

• Es
    Es

yep sounds like my dad too, last time we spoke i got the guilt trip....we miss you...we want to see you and blake (my son) in the new system. I just giggled, its pathetic

es

• sandy
    sandy
    It's almost like all of our parents are the sme littel bobbleheads with different face stickers.

LOL, that is sooooo true. Scary, true.

I've gotten the same lecture from my parents as well. Except, they'll add themselves in it...

"We got to get our act together, Jehovah is not going to wait for us." My mom is a rare attender and my dad is df'ed, never attends. When they get scared over current events I get this type of lecture.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'm saving these one liners for my elder-speak chart.

It looks like smiling, nodding, and looking away is working for you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit