A couple of thoughts on the whole global flood thing...

by Hecklerboy 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Hecklerboy
    Hecklerboy

I was watching the history channel this weekend and they had a show on the global flood story. It was pretty interesting, mostly the same old stuff and some commentators from different religions. While I was watching this, two thoughts kept coming to mind:

God failed in his mission to rid the world of evil. The bible says that god brought about the flood to destroy all the wicked people. But just a few chapters later and evil is back in the earth. So God failed to wipe out evil from the earth.

This leads to my second thought. Wiping out all the evil people on the earth without destroying the source of the evil doesn't make much sense. It would be like us finding a cure for aids. Then killing everyone that has aids except for one person and then letting that person infect other people. All the while never using the cure.

Just a couple of things to ponder.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!!!!

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

Good post. Either the design of the Creators plan is false or the Creator is false. Would this plan not be forestalling the inevitable? That being a return to the very conditions that provoked the destruction in the first place? More and more I am leaning toward athiesim. More and more...

• Navigator
    Navigator

You should also consider the possibility that God had nothing to do with the flood. Or the creation of the earth for that matter.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

I don't beleive in the story anyway...but that's a very intersting point to ask to someone who beleives. Because witnesses in particular always answer that God let Adam and Eve (and the rest of the humanity) live and suffer to show that humans can't rule over themselves....but then he goes and floods all the evil people a few hundred years after? Sounds illogic and pointless to me...

• marsh
    marsh

Hi Hecklerboy.

God did not fail he never does ,Adam was in communion with God , Eve ate of the fruit,so they both rebelled,chose to be independent to find things out for themselves,Eve was outwitted by the Serpent who injected doubt into her.

Gen:4 then the serpent said to the woman "You will not surely die".5,For God knows that in the day you eat of it your eyes will be opened ,and you will be like God ,knowing good and evil.

The penalty was the curse and death.the fall.In the beginning God blessed Adam and Eve and told them to be fruitful and multiply ;fill the earth and subdue it.

Gen 3:15 tells us of God's plan what He will do to redeem man.

Gen 10 shows the genealogy of the sons of Noah.12 shows the promises to Abram.

Isaiah 9.The government of the promised Son.Mathews Gospel shows the genealogy of Jesus Christ.

Jesus is the Way,the Truth,and the Life,He says: John 47. Most assuredly ,I say to you,he who believes in Me has everlasting life"

51."I am the living bread ,which came down from Heaven.If anyone eats of this bread,he will live forever;and the bread that I shall give is My flesh,which I shall give for the life of the world"

54.Whoever eats My flesh and drinks My blood has eternal life,and I will raise him up at the last day"

Acts 2 Peters Sermon.

22.Men of Israel,hear these words,Jesus of Nazareth,a Man attested by God to you by miracles,wonders,and signs which God did through Him in your midst,as you yourselves know.

23.Him being delivered by the determined purpose and foreknowledge of God,you have crucified,and put to death.

24.whom God raised up,having loosed the pains of death,because it was not possible that He should be held by it.

Acts 7 54 Steven the Martyr .

When they heard these things they were cut to the heart,and they gnashed at him with their teeth.

55,But he, being full of The Holy Spirit gazed into Heaven and saw the glory of God,and Jesus standing at the right hand of God.

56.and said "Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of man standing at the right hand of God!

57.Then they cried out with a loud voice,stopped their ears,and ran at him with one accord;

58.and they cast him out of the city and stoned him.And the witnesses laid down their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul.

59.And they stoned Steven as he was calling on God,and saying,"Lord Jesus,receive my spirit"

60 Then he knelt down and cried out with a loud voice." Lord,do not charge them with this sin" And when he had said this,he fell asleep.

Acts 9 Paul converted.Acts 10 .39.And we are witnesses of all things which He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem,whom they killed by hanging on a tree.

40.Him,God raised up on the third day,and showed Him openly.

41.Not to all the people,but to witnesses chosen before by God,even to us,who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead.

42. And He commanded us to preach to the people,and to testify that it is He who who was ordained by God to be judge of the living and the dead.

43.To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name,whoever believes in Him will receive 'remission of sins'.

Revelation 1 11 "I am the Alpha and Omega,the First and the Last'

Revelation 1 18 " I am he who lives,and was dead,and behold, I am alive forevermore.Amen.And I have the keys of hades and death.

Revelation 21 Now I saw a new heaven and anew earth,

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Interesting points Marsh, but the global flood never happened. Never. Not a chance. No way. Someone with more patience, time, and mad copy and paste skillz will probably elaborate.

GBL

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

some more information on the so-called global flood:

http://talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

TS

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    God did not fail he never does

As long as you always start reasoning from that premise, you'll always be able to see everything as a success for god.

But just as a mental exercise, remove that premise and consider it again. See if you arrive at the same conclusion. No need to adopt the arrived-at conclusion, but it might be fun just to see where it leads.

(I still say you'd be doing yourself a heckuva favor to consider the flood allegorical and detach your faith from it.)

Dave

• hooberus
  • marsh
    marsh

Hi ,

I read some of that link,so much to read on there.here are Some scriptures to look at for those who are interested.

Koalas and eucalyptus trees.I think my Aussie cousins have given Koalas other things to eat..)

There are 1,000s of global flood legends around the earth.)

Genesis 6:20 ....two of every kind WILL COME TO YOU TO KEEP THEM ALIVE.

21.And you shall take for yourself of all the food that is eaten,and you shall gather it to yourself.AND IT SHALL BE FOOD FOR YOU AND FOR THEM.

7:11.....that all the fountains of the great deep were broken up,and the windows of heaven were opened

18. The waters prevailed and greatly increased on the earth,and the ark,MOVED ABOUT on the surface of the waters.

19.And the waters prevailed exceedingly on the earth,and all the high hills under the whole heaven was covered.

20 The waters prevailed fifteen cubits upward, and the mountains were covered.

21.and all flesh died that moved on the earth,birds and cattle and beasts and every creeping thing that creeps on the earth,and every man.

22.All in whose nostrils was the breath of the spirit of life,all that was on the dry land died.

23.So He destroyed all living things which were on the face of the ground;both man and cattle,creeping thing and bird of the air.They were destroyed from the earth.Only Noah and those who were with him in the ark remained alive.

Psalm 104 Praise to the Sovereign Lord for His creation.

5.You who laid the foundations of the earth.so that it should not be moved forever,6.You covered it with the deep as with a garment:The waters stood above the mountains.At your rebuke they fled;At the voice of your thunder they hastened away,8 They went up over the mountains:they went down into the valleys To the place which you founded for them.9.You have set a boundary that they may not pass over.That they may not return to cover the earth.

Hebrews 11:7 By faith,Noah ,being divinely warned of things not yet seen,moved with Godly fear.prepared an ark for the saving of his household,by which he condemned the world and became heir of the righteousness which is according to faith.

---------------------

John 6: 31 "Our Fathers ate the manna in the desert;as it is written,He gave them bread to from heaven to eat.

32.Then Jesus said to them,"Most assuredly,I say to you,Moses did not give you the bread from heaven,but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.

33."For the bread of God is He who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.

34.Then they said to Him,"Lord,give us this bread always.

35.And Jesus said to them,"I am the bread of life,He who comes to Me shall never hunger,and he who believes in me shall never thirst.

Exodus 16 .35. And the children of Israel,ate manna forty years,until they came to an inhabited land. they ate manna until they came to the border of the land of Canaan.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit