Tactics to sway my family from the JW organization

by findingmyway 14 Replies latest jw experiences

• findingmyway
    findingmyway

I've been thinking lately about how I can get my family out of the organization. My dad was once an elder (has been df'd once). My mom was once a regular pioneer (hasn't in over 10 years and doesn't even work). My brother was publicly reproved before marriage and currently has one foot in and one foot out (that's my opinion, because actions speak louder than words). One of my sisters was a Sunday school teacher at a church in another state a few years ago (was never df'd for that because she didn't tell anyone...actually, my parents know that she was attending the church, but they never turned her in because she decided to move back home and go back to the meetings). My youngest sister is coasting and doesn't seem strong in her faith and her husband doesn't attend the meetings at all anymore.

My parents came into the truth individually a couple of years before they married. They both already had children. My mom had two (my sister, who is one year older than I, and myself). My dad (stepdad) had one (who was not raised in the same household and thankfully never took hold of the JW faith). My older sister and I (since age 4 & 5) and my younger brother and sister (since birth) were raised as JWs. We were all baptized and all our friends and most of our family are all JWs.

I was df'd over 4 years ago, and recently made the decision (after careful research) that I will never return to that religion. I'm not exactly where I want to be with regards my faith, but when I do get there, I want to be able to share the things I've learned about the religion with my family so that they can make an educated decision about staying or leaving.

Since they haven't completely shunned me - because they still have some hope of me returning to the flock - I cannot berate the religion. In fact, I don't think that I can speak directly to them about my recent findings about the disturbing truths I've learned about the religion.

Here are some ideas that I've come up with to plant some seeds.

1. Every three months, send (anonymously, of course) a copy of discrepancies in the JW teachings, such as accepting blood, alternative service, and time prophecies, including copies of the various changes in dates (i.e., 1914, 1925, 1975), the constant change in definition of "this generation will not pass away," and the subsequent change in the description of the purpose of the Awake! magazine to exclude any mention of the year 1914.

2. Send stories of people who lost their lives and family members because of strict adherence to WTS constantly changing policy.

3. Send a copy of Ray Franz's in the February 1982 Time magazine article.

4. Send copies of quotes from WTS publications that explicitly state that devotion to Jehovah = devotion to the organization, along with scriptures that condemn such devotion and allegiance to men..

Of course, the problem will be that my family firmly holds to the "new light" "progressive understanding" explanation.

Any ideas?

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Over the years I've heard (from JW) about Catholicism covering up and helping the sex offenders amongst their clergy. One of the biggest issues is that the Watchtower is even more guilty of this......anyone contributing to a charity where some of the money goes to defending already convicted offenders, I think, is disgusting. $500,000 I think.(Can someone PM me the link to this please?)

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

seems like the WTS doesn't have a huge influence on your family anyway... i would just live with it.

• blondie
  • findingmyway
    findingmyway

Thanks Blondie!

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Send an article about Prov. 4:18 along with a bit of research that shows that this scripture is being misinterpreted by the WTS.

Goldminer

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Just a random thought; I am no expert in strategy of this sort - Lord knows I have not been able to pry the few family I have 'in' away.

Here goes just the same.

Why not pose an innocent enough question - and then not answer it until the next time you see them.

Question; Knowing what we know as JW's about the United Nations being the evil Scarlet Colored Wild Beast of Revelation, how would Jehovah view a church who affiliated by attaching itself to the UN as a non-government organization, and who agreed to support the principles of that organization? [you may have to explain how the NGO system works and that you found out about it on the official UN website, this may also lay the foundation for followup later] I have heard that many churches have done so because it gives them leverage to get missionaries into some hard to reach countries, and of course gives them some political clout in other ways? How do you suppose God would view that religion?

Leave it there - then bring back the proof that you were actually talking about Jehovah's witnesses. Have the proof in the car or close to prove your point.

I have been waiting to use this one myself - but no opportunity yet. The key is patience.

Jeff

• jgnat
    jgnat

Literature blitz is the JW game. And it has a very poor success rate (many, many magazines, many, many hours). Amazing1914's approach (Blondie's links) is a respectful and patient way of first giving permission for your loved one to express their own opinion, and then providing opportunities for them to investigate and come up with opinions of their own. You must show the same respect you deserve, they still may choose a path you don't like.

I'm setting up a toolkit of ideas, or "solutions" designed to help an Unbelieving Mate (UBM) reach their JW partner. Maybe some of these ideas may help.

Add Fun

Confront Quietly

Cognitive Dissonance

• jgnat
    jgnat

P.S. AK-Jeff, absolutely true! Too often we blast off with our own ideas. It's natural to do so, since so few people actually solicit for opinions! You know what it is like when a self-proclaimed evangelist wanders on to this site determined to declare the Good News that Jesus Loves You. Howcome it comes across like spat molasses? Where's the tissue, wipe it off! It's because the person came on here broadcasting, not listening.

The practice of asking the question and PATIENTLY waiting for them to respond is so important! You are waiting until you have a willing listener!

• Jbrown
    Jbrown

My Son and His new wife are JW. I am not but am trying to learn, He has disassociated himself with me and is very disrespectul. He is also drinking to excess on a regular basis. Is this okay.. Can you just forget about your parents. I just want to understand. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit