GUNS?!

by thepackage 31 Replies latest jw experiences

• John Doe
    John Doe

That article is offensive. The sole puprose of firearms is for hunting? I think not. I have guns because I like guns. I shoot them because I find it pleasurable. Shooting clay pigeons is an excellent family event. I also hunt, gasp, because I want to. I study parts of science and math with firearms--noisy things make great experiments and teachers.

Having antique firearms is a direct connection with history. This is a non-issue. As I said, I've had guns my entire life. My dad was an elder, and he gave me my first gun. NO ONE EVER made an issue of it. There are always folks who take it upon themselves to tell everyone what they need to do, however.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    I have guns and have yet to kill or hurt anyone.

I on the other hand have no guns, but have killed and maimed many. Go figure...

Dave

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Years ago a guy in my high school killed another student with a ball peen hammer. I have yet to see anyone lobby for the banning of hammers though.

W

• blondie
    blondie

FF,

I knew elders that missed the CO visit or assemblies if they fell during hunting season. The CO even had a little hissy fit one assembly during the "Needs of the Circuit" segment.

Blondie, I had quite a few JWs give me a hard time because I went hunting, and eventually I started carrying a photocopy of that QFR in my meeting bag. I had this part highlighted:
  • Billygoat
    Billygoat
    I have had guns my entire life. I don't understand the fear associated with them. They are a tool like anything else.

I have a fear of guns. But mostly because I've struggled with depression and suicidal thoughts for the majority of my adult life. My uncle killed himself with a sawed off shotgun at the age of 33 due to depression. I always knew during my depressive episodes that if a gun were anywhere in my posession, that I'd kill myself via that "tool". Now that I'm married to a gun enthusiast, it's definitely gotten me out of my comfort zone. I don't mind the guns in the house. They must be unloaded and I DO NOT WANT TO KNOW WHERE THEY ARE. I haven't struggled with depression in a long while now, but I don't want to know where the guns are if a suicidal episode hits me again. I don't want to take the chance of making it too easy on myself.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

Hi Package,

I am quite a gun enthusiast as well as an avid hunter and fisherman. I am often scrutinized my my congregation for my occassional abscence from field service for a morning hunt, or cutting it short for an afternoon at the range.

I had questions and issues similar to yours and had this thread last summer:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/91838/1.ashx

• John Doe
    John Doe

It's good that you have a handle on your depression, BillyGoat. I never thought of it in that way. I've been suicidal in my life--not something I've ever talked about much--and I always thought that a gun would be too messy. I would think of the image of what I'd be leaving behind, and I couldn't do that to anyone. It's odd how, when in that state, I tried to put a positive spin on suicide in my own mind. But, thinking of a shotgun wound to the head always brought home how serious it was and is a big reason I never did. But that's a story for another day. . .

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    The CO even had a little hissy fit one assembly during the "Needs of the Circuit" segment.

I'm sure any venison they got was more substantial than any of the spiritual pablum the CO could offer though. I missed a few weekends of deer hunting because of stupid assemblies. And of course, for the most part assemblies only served to elevate my blood pressure.

W

• sinis
    sinis

I always liked the comments made about guns, cars, jets etc. not existing in the new system, like everyone was going Ommish or something. I had a discussion a while back with a "brother" concerning firearms and the new system - since I was being ragged on for owning some. Trying to reason with him/them that ANYTHING can be used as a weapon was exhausting. I didn't read where Cain killed his brother with a .45 or even a bow, more than likely struck him with a log or rock. Also, trying to reason with him/them that guns can be a form of friendly competition - shooting matches, some take great skill, etc. The scripture he oved to quote was in Isaiah about beating spears, etc. I told him that scripture talks about an end to war, so yes I can't see the need for RPG's or tanks or nucs, etc. but guns and bows have historically and traditionally been used outside the arena of hunting and killing. He still didn't get it...

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz
    No private citizen should have guns of any sort.

Another brilliant legal opinion, Eduardo.

J

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit