Mom Makes Daughter Stand on Street Corner

by daystar 29 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

I'm rather conflicted on this. What do you guys think? Does this qualify as psychological abuse? Or is this girl being taught a beneficial lesson? It seems to have produced the desired results, either way.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

I got taken to elders for masturbating which was then passed on to ministerial servants and I was the laughing stock of my congregation. That was emotionally humiliating. Going out in service on breaks instead of doing kid things meant that I had to walk past my elementary school. But I was doing the right thing for Jehovah. That was emotionally humiliating. Getting spit on and cursed to die from people that I had witnessed to while walking to school, that was emotionally humiliating.

My mother standing with me on a street corner after she obviously had tried other things to get my attention screams of a caring person. If the mother didn't care she'd not do anything. I respect her for trying to do what works for her daughter.

CHL

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

In my day when you misbehaved you just got your ass beat.

This is just political correctness gone awry.

• Legolas
    Legolas

I can't help but laugh!

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

The Tufts professor is dead wrong. That Mom is doing a great job. In an era when it seems that few parents give a damn about how their child is doing in school or about instilling some discipline and good manners (such as not talking back to adults), such creative action is very refreshing.

More parents could take a page out of this woman's book.

-Eduardo Leaton Jr., Esq.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Maybe she had already tried the positive re-enforcement and it wasnt working. I think all children should be taught humility and sometimes they may need to be embarassed (bare - a$$) straight.

• telltruth
    telltruth

i once saw a similar situation across the street from my place downtown.... male child, aprox.13-14yrs old wearing cardboard sign which read. i have been caught stealing from the store i am standing in front of and i am here to let everyone know that i have learned my lesson and that i can be trusted from now on..... i thought to myself, hmmmm... good idea. then noticed parent keeping close eye from a chair not far from his son. i felt compelled to share how i thought this was a lesson well learned and that they must be a fantastic parent to take such an action....telltruth

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

CHL...are you saying that taking you to the elders was a good thing or a bad thing?

I am torn somewhat on this girl being put on public exhibition like that. It does sound extreme to say the least!

I had a situation that my junior-high son was caught up in and the results were not good. A "worldly" girl from school came over to our house and my son slipped her in his bedroom and she hid in the closet. Her parents were out of town and she was staying with a girlfriend. She was like a wild horse needing some space to run! Her mother was a teacher at the junior-high and demanded her daughter be perfect. Anyway, there was a party down the street from us and she slipped away from her friend and knew my son and came to hide out for a while and then was going to meet some other friends later on.

Well, the parents of her friend soon came knocking on my door to see if we had seen her. I said "no", not realizing that she was in my house. But I had the presence of mind to check with my son just to make sure, as they were worried sick about her. I could tell that my son was hiding something from me, so I went to check his room out, opened up the closet door and there she stood. She had that deer in the headlight look!

I calmly asked everyone to sit down and we discussed the situation thoroughly.

The next day, her mother came over and accused my son/her daughter of having sex. I got hot over that!!! I told her that she was pushing her daughter away and she had better get a handle on this before she did permanent damage. With her daughter standing there, she informed us that she was taking her to be checked to see if she was still a virgin and she would press charges against my son if she wasn't!

What a horrible thing to put your young daughter through. I tried to convince her that I believed them when they said that had not happened, but to no avail. She went ahead. She was still a virgin...can you imagine the humiliation of that exam??? The next day her daughter ran away from home...I still don't know if she ever came back.

What works for one may not work for another. This teacher didn't have a clue what her daughter was about!!! How sad!

Swalker

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Well I guess it's a little difficult to tell the longterm result as it's only been a week or two

but

If you agree with this practice, would you want to be forced to wear a sign and stand on a street corner with (e.g.) "I cheated on my tax and am a loser" or "I'm a vicious mean spirited bastard" with wife/husband sitting beside telling all of your behaviour?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Back a few years ago something like this wouldnt have been noted at all. Folks had to wear letters, got branded and all other sorts of humiliations for crimes , bad behaviour and lack of performance.

Society was a bit more polite back then...kids tried hard and even the dumb ones had manners.

Bring back stocks in the town square.

~Hill

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit