Pagan Popcorn!

by Atlantis 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

If JWs consider birthdays, Christmas, and so forth pagan because of their origins, then perhaps JWs shoud STOP eating popcorn!

Popcorn History

http://www.ht-express.com/howto-history-popcorn.htm Popcorn was essential to 16th century Aztec Indian ceremonies, which Bernardino de Sahagun writes, “And also a number of young women danced, having so vowed, a popcorn dance. As thick as tassels of maize were their popcorn garlands. And these they placed upon (the girls’) heads.” The Aztec Indians used popcorn as a decoration for ceremonial headdresses, necklaces, and ornaments on statues of their gods, including Tlaloc, the god of rain and fertility.

• juni
    juni

Hi Atlantis!

Very interesting research! Like I've said all along, you can find something "wrong" with everything. But if they're going to be consistent they should outlaw popcorn. I wonder how many would follow that one? Yissssshhhhhhhhhhhh Juni :)

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Juni:

Hi juni! I posted it only to show how unreasonable some of the JW doctrines and teachings are. Note-worthy of nothing more than a good laugh! Just like the popcorn history. With Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, the JWs will be out in force wanting to hold special service days to counter-attack these celebrations. But when they hold (special) service days, they are in-effect (celebrating) that particular day also themselves! They just don't see it that way.

Cheers!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

If god wanted us to eat popcorn, he'd make it explode when you threw it into the fire!

• lazyslob
    lazyslob

The thing I´ve always wondered about is the necktie. It´s part of the JW uniform but it has a military origin. At the same time if you have clothing that even remotely looks militant you´ll end up in the backroom. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necktie

• juni
    juni

Yeah. I remember going out on these special days like a good little JW, but deep down it went against my personal feelings. I didn't want to bother these folks on their special family days. It was: can't we leave these poor people alone w/their families uninterrupted? Juni :)

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

lazyslob:

You are so right lazyslob! My brother who was a regular pioneer at the time, ended up in the backroom with 2 elders just because he wore a certain jacket that (they) disapproved of! It was a cordaroy jacket, and they felt that it was to faddish! But that was back in the 60s.

• JAVA
    JAVA

Pagan rituals and customs are in nearly everything we do from wedding rings to naming the days of the week (I guess we can now add popcorn). Picking out some as wrong and ignoring others is nothing more than gatekeeping. Cults are good at pointing out so-called pagan customs in order to show how good they are, thus everyone else is following the Great Satan.

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

I don't know what the board's policy is on "resurrecting" old threads, but here goes.

This caught my interest, because it reminds me of my first "evil" thoughts as a JW. I noticed that only certain things were outlawed.
    I could see many inconsistencies, but I did not bother to dig deeper as to the Society's rationale, or whatever.

Fast forward a few years, and I see more of what everyone here has seen: hypocrisy, unloving attitudes, Pharisees-In-Training, etc.

Just a thought.

MadTiger

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Its funny how they would abandon pagan birthdays, but when it comes to something as pagan as the jesus god-man they stick their finger in their ears and say blah blah blah blah! I cant hear you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit