Articles about "taking your brother to court"

by Jez 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jez
    Jez

What articles or scriptures do JW use to support their belief that they should not take a brother to court?

Jez

• blondie
    blondie

*** Rbi8 1 Corinthians 6:1-7

Does anyone of YOU that has a case against the other dare to go to court before unrighteous men, and not before the holy ones? 2 Or do YOU not know that the holy ones will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by YOU, are YOU unfit to try very trivial matters? 3 Do YOU not know that we shall judge angels? Why, then, not matters of this life? 4 If, then, YOU do have matters of this life to be tried, is it the men looked down upon in the congregation that YOU put in as judges? 5 I am speaking to move YOU to shame. Is it true that there is not one wise man among YOU that will be able to judge between his brothers, 6 but brother goes to court with brother, and that before unbelievers?

Really, then, it means altogether a defeat for YOU that YOU are having lawsuits with one another. Why do YOU not rather let yourselves be wronged? Why do YOU not rather let yourselves be defrauded? 8 To the contrary, YOU wrong and defraud, and YOUR brothers at that.

w86 11/15 p. 20 Maintaining Christian Unity in Business Relationships ***

However, when a Christian believes that he has been seriously wronged by a fellow believer in business, the steps outlined at Matthew 18:15-17 should be carefully followed. The first step or two should resolve the matter. If they do not, the third step would be for the appointed elders to look into the matter. If this should happen, the elders would strongly discourage the brothers involved from instituting lawsuits against each other. A lawsuit against a fellow believer would mean, as Paul said, "altogether a defeat for you." He added: "Why do you not rather let yourselves be wronged? Why do you not rather let yourselves be defrauded?" (1 Corinthians 6:1-8) It is better to suffer financial loss than to bring reproach on Jehovah’s name as well as the congregation and disrupt our unity by taking a believer to court. Of course, even though court action is not taken, some form of congregation action may be necessary if dishonesty is involved.

When counseling those who are having business difficulties, the elders could point them to the unselfish example set by Abraham when his relationship with Lot was in jeopardy. Abraham, though older, kindly gave Lot the first choice of land rather than risk a breach in relationships. (Genesis 13:5-11) Elders could also point to the good example of Zacchaeus. He was willing to give half his belongings to the poor and with the other half to restore fourfold what he had extorted from people by false accusation.—Luke 19:1-10; see also 1 Corinthians 10:24.

How fine it is when Christians effectively settle business problems by carefully following Bible counsel! In this way they remain united even when business ventures fail. That will be the happy outcome when we keep foremost in mind at all times that, for Christians, secular activity is secondary to Kingdom interests and brotherly unity. It is also fine when business interests can be arranged in order to allow more time for the more important things related to Kingdom activity.—Matthew 6:33; compare Philippians 1:9, 10.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

1 Cor. 6: 1-8

1 Does anyone of YOU that has a case against the other dare to go to court before unrighteous men, and not before the holy ones? 2 Or do YOU not know that the holy ones will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by YOU, are YOU unfit to try very trivial matters? 3 Do YOU not know that we shall judge angels? Why, then, not matters of this life? 4 If, then, YOU do have matters of this life to be tried, is it the men looked down upon in the congregation that YOU put in as judges? 5 I am speaking to move YOU to shame. Is it true that there is not one wise man among YOU that will be able to judge between his brothers, 6 but brother goes to court with brother, and that before unbelievers?

7 Really, then, it means altogether a defeat for YOU that YOU are having lawsuits with one another. Why do YOU not rather let yourselves be wronged? Why do YOU not rather let yourselves be defrauded? 8 To the contrary, YOU wrong and defraud, and YOUR brothers at that.

The JWs use verse 7 primarily. I noticed that elders I spoke to didn't appreciate me referring to verses 2-4, which indicates to me that the brothers felt they had no other recourse but to use "worldly courts", as the elders were not doing their job.

W

• Scully
    Scully

This is the one that was shoved down my throat a few times:

Rbi8 1 Corinthians 6:1-8 ***

6 Does anyone of YOU that has a case against the other dare to go to court before unrighteous men, and not before the holy ones? 2 Or do YOU not know that the holy ones will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by YOU, are YOU unfit to try very trivial matters? 3 Do YOU not know that we shall judge angels? Why, then, not matters of this life? 4 If, then, YOU do have matters of this life to be tried, is it the men looked down upon in the congregation that YOU put in as judges? 5 I am speaking to move YOU to shame. Is it true that there is not one wise man among YOU that will be able to judge between his brothers, 6 but brother goes to court with brother, and that before unbelievers?

7 Really, then, it means altogether a defeat for YOU that YOU are having lawsuits with one another. Why do YOU not rather let yourselves be wronged? Why do YOU not rather let yourselves be defrauded? 8 To the contrary, YOU wrong and defraud, and YOUR brothers at that.

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Let's not be having any of this anti litigation talk, sue the buggers.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

1 Corn 6:1-8and in most Bibles the chapter heading is:Lawsuits among brothers so it's pretty loud and clear.

Of course JW's have many "oral traditions" and if you need to f**k over your 'brother' you scheme to try and get him/her dfed so they are no longer a 'brother' then you can not only drag him into a secular court,but you can now utilize theocratic warfare and trump up perjury against him as he is "dead" in the eyes of jehover.

Sound paranoid?It's happened to me!-Danny Haszard Bangor Maine 'expert witness on the Jehovah's Witness'

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

My dad sued an elder who is a general contractor for botching up a construction job, even had his bond revoked until he finished the job correctly. It was a big mess and the work was very shoddy, dad never should have hired the guy.

Josie

• Jez
    Jez

Thank you to all

• Mary
    Mary
    Does anyone of YOU that has a case against the other dare to go to court before unrighteous men, and not before the holy ones? 2 Or do YOU not know that the holy ones will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by YOU, are YOU unfit to try very trivial matters? 3

To me, this scripture is talking about "trivial matters", not serious wrongdoing. In other words, if you paid a brother to say, cut your grass and you didn't like the way he cut it, there's no point in dragging him before the courts trying to get your money back. You're better off just chalking it up to experince, let yourselve be wronged, and don't use the brother for anything again.

That I can understand. But what if it's a very serious wrongdoing? Say he was a contractor, and he stiffed you out of tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars? What if you lost your home? Would this fall under the category of being a "trivial matter"? Of course not and that's what the courts are there for. We all know of countless horror stories where some sleazy creep in the Hall, knowing full well that the brothers won't take him to court, sets out to rip everyone off for as much as he possibly can get. And what happens to him? 9 times out of 10, absolutely NOTHING. In other words, like pedophiles, the Organization encourages this behaviour simply because they won't punish this behaviour.

I personally know of at least 4 families that got screwed by this one bastard. He conned his own brother and parents for god's sake. His brother lost his house and had to declare bankruptcy and his family was one short step away from being homeless for the better part of a year. But the important thing is, is that this slimeball enjoyed his family vacation in Disney World right after that happened. Oh, and he lost his privleges at the Hall for about 6 months. Wowee.

I never did business with anyone at the Hall because it never works out. Someone always gets screwed over and if someone had've ripped me off, I would not have hesitated in dragging their sorry asses in front of a judge. I have little patience for anyone who sets out purposely to rip a family member or a friend off. I doubt Jesus has much tolerance for that either.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    this one bastard.

I knew a few people who fit this description in the halls I was in. I got stiffed for over $3,000 by one, and the elders refused to hear about it, much less deal with him. He screwed over quite a few brothers™, and many of them complained about him, but he remained a MS. One person who complained about him was DF'd for it.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit