JWS AND A FLU PANDEMIC;SOME GOOD QUESTIONS!

by badboy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• badboy
    badboy

In the event of a Flu pandemic , I believe they would ban public meetings,presumebly they would be no convections.

Should jws go door-to-door as this wouls transmit flu door-to-door?

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Aaaaah! The first positive thing about that possible pandemic....Well, I guess they could use the phone.

• Erich
    Erich
    In the event of a Flu pandemic , I believe they would ban public meetings, presumebly they would be no convections.

Hi.

This is a good and IMPORTANT question.... What would really happen ? Do you really think they would cancel the meetings and door-to-door-service ? I`m not sure they will do so.. think they had NO report all the time...the JW-work would come to a standstill... no, I believe they rather would come together to meetings as usual, despite of highest danger and infectiousness.

What do you think? As an active JW, I`m very interested to get a serious answer to this question..

E.

• void
    void

"the JW-work would come to a standstill... no, I believe they rather would come together to meetings as usual, despite of highest danger and infectiousness.

What do you think? As an active JW, I`m very interested to get a serious answer to this question..

E."

Sorry to come on strong E., but I think the JW work is at a standstill. They already say stuff like there is a greater cooling off at the moment(JW speak for the world has seen through the craps and is nolonger interested in religion as it solves no problems)

But in reality the JW lawyers would probably try and contest it saying that the governemt is breaching their rights, but when they fail you will never hear about it in the KM.

• Scully
    Scully

JWs are not known for respecting Caesar's Laws™ when it interferes with the Preaching Work™, are they? And they also tend to look down on anyone who misses meetings because of illness. How many times do kids with colds and coughs get dragged to the KH, or end up vomiting or with diarrhea, because the parents thought it was more important to be at the KH?

There would likely, in the event of a flu pandemic, be government intervention in the form of quarantines of people who had been exposed and were in an incubation period for the illness.

Would JWs ignore quarantines? Some are dumb Zealous™ enough to take risks with their health and the health of their family and the community at large. In that case, there should be heavy fines against someone who is discovered to have been key to spreading an illness that causes deaths. Persecution for Righteousness' Sake™, yknow.

The best thing that people can do in the case of flu outbreaks is to be extra vigilent about handwashing, and not sharing towels or utensils unless they have been cleaned properly between uses. Self-quarantine [calling in sick] if someone becomes ill should be a no-brainer, but a lot of people can't afford to take a day off of work when they are sick. Businesses that rely on minimum wage earners (with no sick benefits) get hit hard during illness outbreaks.... people just would rather take a risk and come to work sick (with a cold or fever) than lose income. JWs would rather go to the KH sick, than risk Jehovah's displeasure and gossip in the congregation.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    JWs are not known for respecting Caesar's Laws™ when it interferes with the Preaching Work™, are they? And they also tend to look down on anyone who misses meetings because of illness. How many times do kids with colds and coughs get dragged to the KH, or end up vomiting or with diarrhea, because the parents thought it was more important to be at the KH?

I'd say that I have to agree with Scully 100%! Before I even scrolled down to her post---I was going to write the same things she did. We all know the admonition to "be at the meetings no matter what" and even a flu pandemic would not put much of a damper on WTS-related activities., IMHO.

• badboy
    badboy

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR REPLIES.

• JH
    JH

I don't think a flu pandemic could be that bad that they wouldn't gather and preach.

I think the media puts things worse than it is.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    I think the media puts things worse than it is.

Well, there are two ways to view this. They are damned if they do and damned if they don't alert the public of the possiblities. Either way they'll get flak from somebody on it.

We have seen when something newsworthy gets dumbed down and not made too much of.....people get nasty and complain that they should have been told more....

When the media reports thus and such may happen and to take precautions---when and if "it" doesnt happen...people then get upset because they took all of these precautions and nothing major ocurred.

Whaddya gonna do?

• badboy
    badboy

IN THE MIDST OF A PANDEMIC,YOU DON'T NEED PEOPLE DOING THINGS LIKELY TO MAKE THE SITUATION WORSE.

While it is not a pandemic, think if it was.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit