I dislike holier than thou people

by MsMcDucket 40 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I have always been this way. I was raised to be Pentacostal. I hated that religion and their holier than thou attitudes. So, I went against my mother and listened to the dubs. Then I learned that they were just the same, but worse! Now, I've got kids that are shunning me, because they think that they are holier than thou. They think their sh*t don't stink. I don't think that I can be a religious person, especially if it means you got to be holier than thou! I just had to get that off my chest! *sigh*

• nilfun
    nilfun

Yep, they can be annoying.

"It is more difficult to be a complete human being than a saint. It means nothing can be excluded or suppressed." ~ Steven Levine

I'd rather struggle to be real -- than try to win the approval of the holier-than-thou's anymore.

So sorry to hear your children are shunning you (())

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Thanks for your support, Nilfun. I'll drink to that!

• Enigma One
    Enigma One

I could be wrong....but does ANYONE like holier than thou people? LOL

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Enigma they love each other. While I was in the Pentacostal religion, I was told that women should always wear dresses, and that they shouldn't wear make-up. That part of the religion has stuck with me from childhood. It's hard to break. I feel like I'm a Jezebel if I wear make-up. Now, you know that's wrong.... Wearing dresses? I hate to wear dresses! I remember my mother dressing me in these can-can type slips that itched like hell! I dislike dresses to this day. So, when I see a Pentacostal woman at work in a dress, it just makes me dislike them. They are really overdoing it. Come on! Wearing a dress while you're doing physical labor? I, also, know that they are trying to show how faithful that they are to their religion. These were the ones that would put my mother down. I hated them. My mother would work her fingers to the bone trying to raise money for this religion, and yet, it was never enough. The ladies that would become "mothers" of the church were the ones that had more money or their sons were preachers or deacons etc... My mother always wanted to be considered a "mother". She is the kindest person that you could ever meet. She would give you her last dime. Yet, they still looked down on her because she was poor.

And can you believe these televangelist! Send money and your prayers will be answered! I've seen people in the hospital looking at these channels, could barely pay their hospital bills, sending money to these preachers! Don't get me to talking about them! Saying stuff like "We can heal you threw the phone line"! *groan*

I'm just rambling. It's just sick!

• Golf
    Golf

How about being a spiritual person compared to a religious one?

Golf

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Golf, I don't know what I'm going to be. I know that I'm just bitter now, and I think "religion is a racket and a snare".

• JAVA
    JAVA

"How about being a spiritual person compared to a religious one?"
    I think Golf brings an interesting question to the table. Political and religious fundamentalism seems to foster “holier than thou” followers. I think most religious fundamentalist see themselves as “spiritual” as long as they follow the party line; otherwise they’re lost or slaves of the great Satan.
    Is it possible to be a “spiritual person” and not necessarily have a religion? Let’s go one step beyond; is it possible to be a “spiritual person” and not necessarily believe in God? I think it depends on one’s personal definition of spiritual.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I like 'em...

...but I couldn't eat a whole one!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Here's a quote to chew over. What do "holier than thou" people get from their lifestyle?

Those who serve a cause are not those who love that cause. They are those who love the life which has to be led in order to serve it, except in the case of the very purest, and they are rare. Simone Weil

Now, we've likely met some genuine saints in our lives too, people who give and give with no thought to themselves. What are they doing different from the "holier than thou" people?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit