Ouija Board

by Inquisitor 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Ghost Hunters is on the SciFi channel...it's about 2 plumbers who had an unexplainable incident happen to them and so are out to find "real ghosts" if there are any. They have a team and go around the country exploring stories. What is interesting is that the military has called them in several times to determine if they have a building that is "haunted". I am sure you can "google" it and find the time in your area. They just had a marathon this past Thursday night and showed 6 episodes.

The book that I was reading just said that their advice was to leave it alone. No explanation given...

Swalker

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I don't know what it is about humans, but they're crazy about being freaked out. The Ouija board is one of those things that people love to be scared of. Personally, I don't believe in spirits for much of the same reasons that AlmostAtheist mentioned.

But, for those that do believe and have a Ouija board handy, I'm going to give you a simple experiment that could conclusively prove the reality of spirits. (I've posted this on other threads, so I apologize to the people who have already seen this before.) You can do this with three people, and as long as you perform it carefully, you could potentially provide strong, concrete evidence of supernatural communication forces. Here's what you do:

1. Have a friend who will not be manipulating or viewing the Ouija board write down five numbers between 1 and 100 on a piece of paper and leave it face up on the other side of the room where it would presumably be visible to any spirits in the room, but not to the Ouija board operators. This friend should never be able to view the board, lest she unwittingly give the operators hints when they get close to the right numbers.
    2. The operators ask the Ouija board what the numbers are. The operators should write their answers down without saying anything aloud.
    3. After completing the list, compare the the two lists.

This should be easy information for spirits to give you if they exist. If they are really directing your hands, it should be trivially easy to get all the numbers right, and in the correct order. A series of five numbers between 1 and 100 would be sufficient to rule out any possibility of merely having guessed right, as those odds would be 1 in 10,000,000,000. Therefore, this would constitute powerful evidence that the spirits are real. On the other hand, if they can't even muster the clarity of thought to tackle this simple task, I think you should seriously look at alternative explanations for what you believe you saw before.

If you do this experiment, it is critically important that you follow the steps exactly as outlined. Humans are very clever at tricking themselves. These steps prevent that from happening. If you can reliably get some results (perhaps you make friends with a cooperative spirit?), by all means let me know. I'd be willing to travel anywhere in the world to see such phenomena actually working. However, I have the feeling that when subjected to rigorous method, the Ouija board will unfortunately fail to produce any effect.

Happy testing, and let me know what you find!

SNG

• Bstndance
    Bstndance

The ouija board at my friend's house only works after we've polished off a few bottles of red. HAHAHA!!

Not that I'm a believer, but an experiment as logical as Seattle's is the equivalent of throwing yourself off a building and saying "if there is a god, he'll save me" ain't gonna happen whether there is a god or not.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

ive never used one, but would really like to... i hear its all nerve movements and subconscience, but either way i think it would be PIMP to play with one...

the infamous one

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

SNG...I have a close friend who would form a question in his mind and the Ouija Board operator would not know a question was even being asked and the Board would spell out the answer. The operator then asked "I wonder what that means" and this person said "It's the answer to the question I was just thinking."

This person has never lied to me and is most trustworthy, so I tend to believe it. They decided to leave it alone after that! I will say that I have never experienced or seen anything. I'm sure to those that have it is real.

Also, going to school, I had several classmates who would tell me things...some could get it to work and others couldn't. Maybe some people just don't have the MAGIC TOUCH!

What I find strange is that it never seems to tell you things that you really want to know...like the winning lottery numbers!

Swalker

• John Doe
    John Doe
    Humans are very clever at tricking themselves. [...] However, I have the feeling that when subjected to rigorous method, the Ouija board will unfortunately fail to produce any effect.

I don't believe in this stuff either, but can you see an irony in your last paragraph?

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

When I worked it, the plachette (not sure if that is spelled correctly) would move around and it would spell out tangible words and phrases or answer yes or no questions. To test it one time, me and afriend of mine would ask it a question for somebody else that only they knew the answer to and me and the other person working it did not know the answer to and it did spell out the answer; (an address of someoby they knew but we didnt know that person or what his address was and it spelled it out). That has happened a couple of times using it. I didn't think much of it but the person we answered the question to reacted as if she just got off a scary rollercoaster ride and didn't want to be around it anymore.

I have played around with it off and on some but not really into it and more often it would just spell out nonsense so I dont know what all could be behind it.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Bstndance,

an experiment as logical as Seattle's is the equivalent of throwing yourself off a building and saying "if there is a god, he'll save me" ain't gonna happen whether there is a god or not.

Not really. Your experiment could certainly prove God's existence if he chose to act, but no one is claiming that God routinely saves building-jumpers, so if he failed to act, it would not really tell us anything except that another one bit the dust, as usual. On the other hand, Ouija board believers do claim that spirits routinely provide actual information through the board. That claim can easily be tested.

The experiment is designed to prevent you from tricking yourself. For example, if one of the operators chooses a number in his own mind, it would be no big surprise if the Ouija board then magically produces that number, since part of the control is coming from the person who chose the number. Or he might say that the board correctly produced the number even if it's only in the general range, because obviously that's a more exciting answer. Most of us have experienced the part of us that spontaneously changes bits of a story to make it more exciting. Writing the numbers down and having the writers and the operators work separately prevents this type of cheating. That's all.

SWALKER

SNG...I have a close friend who would form a question in his mind and the Ouija Board operator would not know a question was even being asked and the Board would spell out the answer. The operator then asked "I wonder what that means" and this person said "It's the answer to the question I was just thinking." [...] This person has never lied to me and is most trustworthy, so I tend to believe it.

That type of anecdotal evidence is certainly interesting. And I'm sure that your friend is sincere and personally believes the effect to be real. But again, when you're with friends, and you're having fun, and you're trying to see some paranormal effect, and perhaps you have a bit of a nervous curiosity about spirits, there is a lot of environmental pressure to see something there. That's not to say that in such an environment it would be impossible to see things accurately. But it does suggest that there is the possibility for stories to become exaggerated, even un- or semi-consciously. My experiment is designed to remove that type of ambiguity.

...some could get it to work and others couldn't. Maybe some people just don't have the MAGIC TOUCH!

It's certainly possible. That's the beauty of the experiment. I personally do not need to have it work for me. I'd be more than content to see it work for anyone. Seriously, if you could pass this experiment and I could verify that you hadn't cheated, I'd become a believer overnight. And I think it would be spectacularly interesting. But, alas, I fear there is nothing there but our own subconscious expectations and fears.

John Doe,

I don't believe in this stuff either, but can you see an irony in your last paragraph?

Umm...I'm not sure exactly, unless you're suggesting that "rigorous method" could be a clever way to trick ourselves. :-) I know you're only joking, but just for the sake of clarifying, the best-designed experiments are simple and straightforward. This experiment is extraordinarily straightforward. The only "rigor" would come in making sure the participants didn't cheat.

SNG

• damselfly
    damselfly

I've never played with one. The Saturday before Halloween I was in a department store and kept on bumping into the same elder repeatedly, it looked like he was circling getting ready to descend for a "talking". I looked down and there was a Ouija board on the shelf. I was so was tempted to pick it up and use it for elder repellant, but alas! I was a good damselfly and left him alone.

Dams

• enigmatic
    enigmatic

I tried a Ouija board when I was 10 with my little brother in our houses creepy basement. We did not really know what we were doing and mind you a Elders daughter was baby sitting us. Well she freaked out and started crying (she was at the top of the stairs peeking down) and called her father, anyways nothing happened and it got trashed that day. But 13 years later I have used a pendulum quite often and if I'm actually channeling or its just my subconcious doing it I dont know. Sometimes I use it alone sometimes I use a "board" (alpha numerical). Mind you because of my dub upbringing and all the negative reports or supposedly bad spirits I pray for protection before I channel, I have my doubts but from experience using a pendulum it has been quite errie and at time will start swinging from and stand still to almost level spin in a matter of seconds. Anyways Im skeptic but I keep an open mind.... Lucent

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit