JV's super fantastic Oct 1st education article review!!!!!! (LONG!!)

by JV 16 Replies latest jw friends

• JV
    JV

Where to start? First off i want to say that i actually took notes with my really cool 4 colour pen, and i colour coded my comments accordingly

Green = vomit inducing, Red = furious, Blue = makes me sad, and Black = makes me want to die, lets just say that my article was really green .

Ok lets get this thing started. To start the conductor said that this article was very controversial, damn right it is, when you mess with peoples futures like that. He said that education is very important to jehovahs people, (haha yeah, what kind, he failed to mention that only "theocratic education is important")

The attack began with a person's reasons for going to college. One sisters comments was that people go for the "esteem" just so they can say that they went to college, isn't that the same reason why people pioneer? so they can be held in high esteem by the people in the hall?

Next they talked about how the school system is set up to groom students for a post secondary education so they can do well on university entrance exams rather than on courses that will equip students for the work place. I call bullshit on that. In my city they just built a brand new state of the art multimillion dollar highschool which focuses on non traditional courses such as carpentry, computers, technical trades, etc..... WTF do these people want? for some reason they think that the whole world revolves around them, they want their kids to finish school after grade 8 so they can full time pioneer, well too bad, that's not gonna happen

The article went on to say that students are under tremendous stress from teachers and fellow students to aim for enrollment in the higest universities. Since when is working hard and aiming for the top wrong? They make it seem like teachers are slave drivers, BS! they just want thier students to do the best that they can do? is that wrong? I think not.

I wish most witnesses would use their heads before they speak, because to quote john goodman from The Big Lebowski, "their out of thier element" One middle aged brother who's been out of high school for 30 years, (therefore that makes him the best candidate to talk about the subject) said that everybody focused on going to the best university and they said that the alternatives to university were for and i quote "losers" and today it's even worse, 'cause you know you've got you're finger on the pulse of todays education environment, what a tool, he's out of his element, Like I just said they build a brand new state of the art high school specifically for not traditional studies.

The article went on to say university is such a horrible place everybody binges and has one night stands and that up to 80 percent of college students take part in that kind of behaviour. Wow, where to start? Man university is such a bad place guess i shouldn't go there now, hey wait, they do that at work too, shit, i guess i better go live under a rock or in a cave, mabey osama bin laden's got something with the whole living in a cave thing. If you have the said article, please turn to page 28 and look at the picture, It depicts "bad" college students openly drinking alcohol in a couryard. Now correct me if i'm wrong that's illegal, that just shows you how much the "society" knows about education.

There was one delicious bit of irony when a young brother commented about the statistic that 80% of students binge drink. The funny thing was that this younger brother aka. "fornication boy" (i'll let ya figure that one out) said that it's prob worse than that. the funny thing is fornication boy and another younger brother "flake guy" binge drink in his mothers basement all the time, hell who needs school to binge drink, do it in your mothers basement.

The rest of the article goes on to espouse the benefits of becoming a full time pioneer and how much happier you'll be and it is truly a career that will give you everlasting life. Since when do people go to university and get a degree in history and what not, thinking that, hey, if i get a degree in american history i'll live forever? a university degree is just a means to an end, to help you find employment, nothing more.

The conductor went on to say that there are many people where he works, that couldn't find work in their field that they studied. Well that's gonna happen if you study abstract topics. If you take engineering, law, medicine, etc i don't think you'll find many of them unemployed for very long. He went on to say that the society can't tell you what to do, they don't but they become very good at implying what should and shouldn't be done, they just pussy foot around giving you a straight answer.

Finally the po asked if the the wts was against higher education true or false, and of course the answer was false, which just left me speechless, after sitting through an hour of anti education bullshit, they're gonna piss in my ear and tell me it's raining. The balls that these people have, it's just dumbfounding.

Well that's my rant for today, what a load of crap

PS. This is for nocturne, don't be so condesending it hurts my feelings

• Nocturne
    Nocturne
    PS. This is for nocturne, don't be so condesending it hurts my feelings

Uh huh...

• skyman
    skyman

I like the fact you are being condesending. You say it like it is.

• No Apologies
    No Apologies
    He went on to say that the society can't tell you what to do, they don't but they become very good at implying what should and shouldn't be done, they just pussy foot around giving you a straight answer.

Ain't that the truth!!! What's amazing is that he can see this and doesn't have a problem with it.

No Apologies

• rebel8
    rebel8
    people go for the "esteem" just so they can say that they went to college

Maybe some people do, but the way they tout that, it makes it seem as though ego is the usual reason for going to college. If people are trying to gain self esteem by spending thousands of dollars, it would be easier to get plastic surgery and therapy. No homework.

isn't that the same reason why people pioneer? so they can be held in high esteem by the people in the hall?

That wasn't the reason anyone I knew did it. It was the death threat--you know, Jah will execute you if you aren't doing the most you can do. Wearing nice clothes and hosting lots of "get togethers" was the route to JW popularity in my cong, both of which require $.

Next they talked about how the school system is set up to groom students for a post secondary education so they can do well on university entrance exams rather than on courses that will equip students for the work place.

That is a ridiculous statement even for regular high schools. The purpose of all school is to prepare people for real life, including entry into the workforce.

The article went on to say that students are under tremendous stress from teachers and fellow students to aim for enrollment in the higest universities.
    So I see nothing has changed since the '80s. As a kid I was not allowed to take advanced courses in primary/secondary school, because the litter-ature said it would cause stress and there was no point in going through stress with Armageddon coming soon.
    said that everybody focused on going to the best university and they said that the alternatives to university were for and i quote "losers" and today it's even worse, 'cause you know you've got you're finger on the pulse of todays education environment, what a tool, he's out of his element, Like I just said they build a brand new state of the art high school specifically for not traditional studies.
    Who is this mysterious unknown majority of people who go around saying such things?
    The article went on to say university is such a horrible place everybody binges and has one night stands and that up to 80 percent of college students take part in that kind of behaviour.

I agree there is no call for using this as an excuse not to attend college. I think the 80% thing is true, except they are forgetting that it's 80% of college age people who binge drink, not just those actually in college. That means 80% of JW college age kids probably do it too.

Since when do people go to university and get a degree in history and what not, thinking that, hey, if i get a degree in american history i'll live forever?
    LOL, only those who are on crack. I'd love to ask, since when do people spend 90+ hours per month preaching, 20 hrs at meetings, and countless hours studying and doing miscellaneous volunteer work (ie hall cleaning), thinking that, hey, if I do all this crap, I'll live forever?
    a university degree is just a means to an end, to help you find employment, nothing more.
    Really? I thought it was about expanding one's mind and gain education too.
    The conductor went on to say that there are many people where he works, that couldn't find work in their field that they studied. Well that's gonna happen if you study abstract topics. If you take engineering, law, medicine, etc i don't think you'll find many of them unemployed for very long.

Yes and no. I have a professional degree and can attest to the difficulty in finding a job. To quote a line from Star Trek, "The higher, the fewer." This is applicable to the job market in that the higher you go on the salary scale, the fewer jobs there are. I think in the US if you take the subjects you listed (or other non-abstract topics), you are able to find a job within a reasonable time--if you're willing and able to move. If you try to stay within one geographical area that does not include a major city, you may be SOL if you're looking for work. Speaking from personal experience. However, again, this is a weak argument against attending college. It is just something to be aware of when you start college, so as to have reasonable expectations of the outcome.

Well that's my rant for today, what a load of crap
    Agreed!!!!
  • hallowedbethyname
    hallowedbethyname

thank goodness I didnt go yesterday.

I dont think I would have been able to stomach that tripe.

Higher Education was frowned upon when I grew up. Now Ive been stuck in the same ass job for the last 4 years.

I start school part-time in January at an accredited university in a field of my choice......Finance.

mange mon ballons WTS.

HBTN

• ocsrf
    ocsrf

Wow, that was the hardest hour I have ever sat through. I have sent my children through college and don't apoligize to anyone. There were so many times I wanted to apply for a position or job and did not have the degree that so many employers put as a minimul expectation for anyone to apply. This is not to say that an applicant couldn't do the job with out such a degree, just that you would never get the interview unless you had it.

Based on this knowledge I was determined to encourage my kids to attend college.

There are no gaurantees in life, so to expect you would get just the right job after college is silly; however, with the education you expand your options and eventually you could end up doing what you want and have that sheep skin can help you get there just a little quicker.

The funny thing is, all of us who did not attend, we are now about ready to retire, I hardly think 4 years out of my life would of been such a big deal...thanks GB for helping me, nice to see you want to mess up the next generation of JW workers.

OC

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

LMAO! im so freakin glad im done with those retards... i am picturing my dad snickering at my mopther who encouraged me to go to university though, probably giving comments about how his son left the "truth" and is all alone in the big bad world because of university... its so evil...

ive said it many times on this board, push come to shove, they will admit they are just scared you will think for yourself... they told me not to go, cuz it promoted free thought, which is apparently a sin!!! well, i went a running... my god im glad i didnt have to sit through that shit...

the infamous one

• Dune
    Dune

I managed to zone out. My brother had to read though, It was probably his most fluent yet monotonous reading ever. There was no feeling, no emotion in his voice. I think his reading set the tone to the watchtower. What i found most disturbing was people who were encouraging ME to go to college commenting during the meeting. Two people who were in college had the nerve to college. And this other guy who encouraged his granddaughter to go commented. I was originally scheduled to read for it, but i switched with my brother. I didnt want to read or comment, which shouldnt surprise anyone.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

This is the view presented by a female JW after attending the "in"famous WT study: «I really enjoyed Saturday afternoon's study of the Watchtower article, I was particularly amazed at the statistics of alcohol and drug abuse amongst colleges and universities! I didn't know it was so bad. I actually had a talk to my 7 year old son on the way to school this morning about what he wants to do when he gets older, he wants to be a school teacher so I explained to him that it was not important at this time to become something important such as a teacher or a fireman or a doctor but to instead focus on teaching more and more people about Jehovah! Well he agreed wholeheartedly with me and his next words nearly made me cry they were so sweet, he said "Mum, ok when I grow up I'm going to teach as many people as I can about Jehovah and about the new system, but can I still be a teacher in the new system and teach people about Jehovah then too?" He is such a sweet boy with a kind heart and i'm very proud of him, he really does love Jehovah»

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit