Do you do Christmas?

by sass_my_frass 31 Replies latest jw friends

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

This will be my first christmas. I'm not doing anything corny, no tree, no bigass fluoro santa. Just joining my new (husband's) family at their xmas gig - tacky presents for the kids, lots of food, stories by the old folk. Going to talk my way out of the midnight mass if I can. I'm really looking forward to it. Did anybody go a bit xmas mad?

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I don't do Christmas because it's not possible in my house, but I have been looking at Christmas decorations this year, and getting all sentimental. I haven't celebrated Christmas since I was 7, but I loved the decorations and the tree and the Christmas cookies and the songs... I would love to celebrate Christmas again!

GGG

• blondie
    blondie

We haven't gone nuts but we get together with the non-JW family and exchange a few gifts. I play my favorite music. We went to my MIL little church last year and found myself the center of attention when we sang. I have a nice voice and hubby does a good harmony. I was not born in the US so we observe some of the customs from my homeland. How many know that Christmas last 12 days--from Christmas Day to Epiphany (when the magi showed up around 1/6)? That's where the song the twelve days of Christmas comes from. The custom is to put a small gift by the plate of family member in your home for 12 days.

http://www.epsaweb.org/christmas.htm

• Mulan
    Mulan

It's been a gradual process for us. At first it didn't feel comfortable to do too much, but we've had a tree for the past 3 years. Love it, love it, love it!!!

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

My belief system isn't christian, but I do christmas in the sense of the solstice and yule. I do have a tree, but my ornaments are more nature based, you won't find santa anywhere. I love the holidays and the family togetherness. I do admit to Halloween being my favorite, but I love the christmas holidays because my house always smells of baking cookies or other good things, there are all kinds of secrets happening and decorating going on. I even like the weather, its later it becomes tiresome. And I have more than a dozen holiday music cds and thats the only time I do listen to the christian stuff as well as the rest. I just honor it all that one time a year. I do think our paths are closer than many may think, we just put a different face on the divine. And I'm excited thinking about it all! Thanksgiving is just a week and a half away!!!

Sherry

• nowisee
    nowisee

well......

how does sort of but not really sound??

i have gone to in-laws xmas eve observances for many years.... we always did secret santa until last year when i persuaded to give all secret santa $ to charity instead.... the siblings sent almost $600 to a local food bank and i felt really good that it was my idea.......

we do gather relatives for a meal....

i have gone to midnight church services and have loved the organ music and observances.....

but.....

i am still very much aware that this is really a pagan celebration for the most part i.e. the date, the trappings.....

nevertheless, whatever i do, i try to remember the real meaning and spirit of xmas and the celebration of our Savior, Jesus Christ..

• ithinkisee
    ithinkisee

FreedomLover and I were just talking about this today.

She never did Xmas and has no real attachment to it. I guess I remember it as some of the closest family times from my childhood.

I don't really hold a religious significance to it ... but I told her that me seeing OUR kids running towards a tree to open the gifts under it would get me pretty emotional. Really emotional.

-ithinkisee

• damselfly
    damselfly

I love Christmas, even thou I've been out for a decade now, I've really only done Christmas the past 4 years. I don't have a tree or any decorations at the house as we go to my man's parents house.

I hear you on the X-mas mass. We went to it last year and I was daydreaming away not paying attention ( as per usual when surround by religion )when I noticed a large line forming towards the front. I may have panicked a wee bit and blurted out loud what are we doing now!! Everyone around me laughed and assured to just stay where I was. What was nice is at the end of the mass everyone turns and shakes everyone else's hand while wishing them Merry Christmas.

Dams

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

if there's a party, i'll be there... i don't care who died 2000 years ago...

• fairchild
    fairchild

Nope, no Christmas here. It's just me and the cat, and the cat actually prefers her regular dry food over a fancy piece of salmon.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit