WT Study on Education - How did it go?

by Inquisitor 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Scully
    Scully
    To top it off, this same brother made this comment during the WT study: "High quality people excel in life even without an education. Low quality people don't, despite their education."

OMG. That is just plain RUDE.

• Virgogirl
    Virgogirl

They tell you not to go to college. Then, if you go, they look up to you! Our congregation had Dr. M. He had a nice house with a swimming pool, nice car, pretty wife, well dressed kids, etc,. and was held up as an example of a fine brother. Needless to say, he made elder in no time at all. Everyone made appointments at Dr. M's office, that is, when he wasn't vacationing at his family's favorite Mexican resort. They always spent the entire month of April in Acapulco and that was just fine.

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Hello jgnat

You were awesome in that conversation! Wish I had such an opportunity and wish I was able to come up with those points as quick as you! Can we invite you over to stir up the complacent elders here? Can we can we? ;)

However, like freedomlover, I have to say I doubt your words would seriously bother that elder's conscience. If it is any consolation, he will be seriously reflecting on them with the sole purpose of forming counter-arguments, so he wouldn't lose a similar argument in the future. The sad truth is that most Witnesses function with the preconceived notion that they are in the right before listening to anyone. The value of any further input depends on who you are in Jehovah's organization, on whether you are more spiritually mature/wiser to dispense them any advice.

Your arguments are very good ones though. It would make any Witness with less pride and a more of an open mind to pause and think.

Regards

INQ

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Hey Midget-Sasquatch

What you need to do is to start your own secret posse comitatus, get yourselves a coupla baseball bats and knuckle dusters and just wait for that offending brother in the KHall car park! Then when he shows up all scared and defenseless you beat the stuffing out of.... his car. It won't be pretty. You'll probably have to witness some adult male cry and pee in his Sunday best.

Regards

INQ

• sir82
    sir82

In our congo...

There were the predictable spittle-spewing answers about how the educational system is controlled by....SATAN! etc.

A few oddities...

One young MS (with no college education) made the point "This article is not telling parents not to send their children to college..." Of course it most certainly was, but it seemed to reflect his desire not to be seen as part of a stupid, radical, fundamentalist anti-education cult.

My (still a pioneer, still very loyal) wife was nearly as upset as I was at the preposterous arguments used in the article. She made a most telling remark on the way home: "I kind of hate to say it, but a lot of Witnesses are kind of brain-washed". I of course agreed, responding that if the article had for some odd reason come out in favor of education, the same persons would have made equally strong comments supporting the WT's position.

She also noted that this article was much different than other "counsel" in the past. "Other articles tend to allow a little leeway for conscience, this one was 100% against the idea of education". She was also rather upset at one comment bringing in James 4:4, which a particularly neanderthal MS used to strongly imply that parrents who send their children to college are "spiritual adultresses".

Our PO, raised in the truth and college-educated (as I am), made a comment in one of the introductory paragraphs and then disappeared into the lobby, where he spent most of the rest of the study. At one point I couldn't stand the vacuousness of the comments and went out & saw him there. I was considering asking him if he was having as hard a time as I was swallowing this dreck, but lost my nerve.

A few comments among some afterward expressed surprise at the viciousness of the article, and also seemed to reflect a desire to seem balanced, and not of the opinion that "all universtities are tools of the devil".

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

In my hall,

They were OK with Associate Degrees taken at community colleges - BUT

Bachelor degrees or higher are a NO NO.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    To top it off, this same brother made this comment during the WT study: "High quality people excel in life even without an education. Low quality people don't, despite their education."

OMG. That is just plain RUDE.

Or very observant. When was the last time you saw a JW excel at anything, other than being an asshole? The only JWs who excel in life are the ones who eventually leave and get one.

W

• FairMind
    FairMind

Something that this particular study article did not address is the large number of JW youths who opt to not pioneer. What is the WT advice to these young ones? I would hope that going to school if one is not going to pioneer would be preferable (from the WTS’ viewpoint) to completely wasting one’s life. Really and truly this study article was more of an anti-education lesson than a pro-pioneering lesson.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Apart from providing considerable ammunition to any non- or ex-JW fighting a custody battle with a JW spouse, this article puts the stupidity of the WTBTS on exhibit for all to view.

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Ironicly, I'm writing this reply from my college English class.

The WT stand on higher education is total BS, and reaks of control, not love. I hope that many JW's decide to buck the system and attend college anyway. When I look back on how much I could have already accomplished, had I gone to college right out of high school, I't really ticks me off.

Buck the system people!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit