WT Study on Education - How did it go?

by Inquisitor 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• BadPammie
    BadPammie

This whole thing just turns my stomach. My husband gave up a full ride tennis scholarship to Memphis State and I gave up scholarships as well. We struggled so many years and continue to. I finally came to my senses when I was 35 and got my ass in college. I now make $35 an hour as a Registered Nurse. We have never been financially solvent, and this is mainly due to the fact that we were uneducated and trying to raise 3 kids on minumum wage. All because someone else thought that it was the best coarse of action. If I'd been making that kind of money 20 years ago, our financial outlook would be quite different.

I really hope that this opens some eyes as to the mind control tactics of the WTS. I can't wait to hear what mom has to say about it.

BadPammie!

• acuragirl
    acuragirl

I went to the hall today after my mother practically forced me to go.I was there for the watchtower study only,the main theme- Part time work full time ministry! How do they expect anyone to be able to support themselves on part time work ?You cant make ends meet on part time work-crazy! They were totally discouraging college educations.They made perfectly clear that going to college is not putting kingdom interest first.Pioneering will pay there bills somehow i guess! LOL, I had this look on my face while they were commenting about trades schools and stuf and no college like "are these people nuts or what?" There was one comment from a girl who said she went to community college and what a waste of money tuition was. Everyone in college is immoral too.

• zeroday
    zeroday

I remember in the early 80's there was a letter read in the congo asking brothers with computer skills to volunteer to go to bethel and help the society set up it's computer network. After the meeting a brother came up to me and said, "Well, I guess they need brothers with educations now don't they".

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

Ah ic, JV. Oh well, that's all I wanted to know actually, say no further

Have a good time at the meeting. Eagerly awaiting your report. lol

INQ

• jgnat
    jgnat

By God's good fortune I had the opportunity to comment at today's meeting. As a "marked" "unbelieving mate" and a woman, this was the first time my opinion was openly solicited, and it happened to be a topic I am particularly passionate about! Be sure to tell Oncruse about this amazing coincidence.

Hubby had negotiated my rare appearance, and I was well armed with modest attire, plenty of hair spray, and my handy notebook. I kept myself well occupied during the meeting, polishing up two more arcicles in my Unbelieving Mate (UBM) series. Sorry, I don't pay sharp attention any more, I can't bear it.

Only a few comments captured my attention. I spared a glare or two to the conductor when he said something particularly offensive. I was surprised and pleased to note that there was an independent comment from the peanut gallery, the first I've ever witnessed! An early commenter suggested that we do not have the same problems with our educational system her in Canada that we have in the states, as we have a broader network of technical colleges and opportunities open to our youth. The commenter was soundly rebuffed by the conductor, who made sure to emphasize how closely we follow the American pattern for the remainder of the study. The remainder of the responses were to be expected, a toddler or two were called upon to answer with an enthusiastic "Jehovah!" at the proper moment.

Afterwards, the conductor came over and introduced himself, and asked how I liked the study.

Well.

I started out telling him how this article more than most, disturbed me that it was not encouraging children to excel at whatever they enjoy. What if a child is particularly suited to be a surgeon? Would his parents discourage him from the years of school necessary to become what he was destined to be?

The conductor suggested that caring Jehovah's Witness parents would not hold their children back from their full potential.

But the article failed to mention that, I responded. Was not Luke a doctor?

Aha, but he put away his training when he entered full time service.

That is an assumption is it not? The bible does not say if he kept up his practice or not. (direct eye contact)

That is true he still had the skills and abilities he trained for. We have four doctors in this city.

Yes, but are they doctors because of the society or in spite of the society?

But should we be investing in education so close to the end?

You mean like in 1974? There were people then, also in the secular world, who could not imagine the world lasting much longer. The oil prices were booming, the Vietnam war was going on, people sold their houses, put off their futures, for what? People back then could not concieve that the world would still be around in 2000. Do they not regret their choice to put off education, buying homes, taking care of their future, now? Why not use the talents God gives us now? Albert Schweitzer was a well-known musician when he heard God's call. He went back to school to become a physician, something he was not suited to, so he could be of maximum benefit to those he served in his ministry..

But these days, isn't getting an advanced education expensive...talented people can get ahead on their own initiative..

Yes, but anyone who finishes that education quickly outstrips anyone else. I worked ten, fifteen years to get to the wage my sister started at when she finished medical school. She had her education paid off in two years. Let's see, it took her four to six years to get her training, and in two years she outstripped my effort of ten to fifteen years of work. You wouldn't suggest that talented students turn town scholarships, if they have the skills and abilities to excel, would you?

If you read the referenced articles you will see a more balanced view.

Perhaps, BUT, I am sure if I also read the context of the secular articles quoted I would find that they are not as critical of higher education as was presented here today. For instance, someone who earns a degree in one field can often find work in another field, because university education is so broad that employers appreciate that their skills are transferable. That kind of flexibility cannot be attained from technical training.

I then toned down the conversation, talking of my strong-willed granddaughter, and her love of all things ballerina. She is only five years old, and she has wanted to be a ballerina since she was three. He smiled and related the charm of his own daughter. I asked him how I could hold back from my granddaughter anything less than her dream?

What do you think? Did I give that man something to think about? I hope he took a few licks, because the poor "independent speaker" certainly did not deserve the public lashing he got.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

Jgnat -

Well let's hope you gave him something to think about, unfortunately I think your brilliance is wasted on many JW minds.

One things for sure, he will probably NEVER ask you again what you thought of the WT study! He'll probably steer way clear of you next time you enter the kingdom hall! ha ha ha

• Everlasting Gobstomper
    Everlasting Gobstomper

On college thats funny I thought jesus was "The Great TEACHER"

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I thought that I would encourage the bright teens in the hall to get any postsecondary education they wanted and could manage to get. But I was thrown into a rather blue mood by a short conversation I had with a brother (he by the way got his Bachelor of Business) just before the meeting started. Long story short, I'm a loser and don't exemplify the benefits of a higher education. Rather my sitch conveniently plays into the Borg's arguments. To top it off, this same brother made this comment during the WT study: "High quality people excel in life even without an education. Low quality people don't, despite their education." I shouldn't have gone today.

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I picked up the Luke/physician assumption as well. If Luke was called into the ministry in 30 C.E., and 1 Thess. was written in 50 C.E., and Luke was STILL known as the "beloved physician," it would indicate he was still practicing and not that he had ever given it up.

Every paragraph someone just paraphrased the answer straight from the WT. One old codger piped up and mentioned how his daughter went to vocational school and now makes $50,000 a year or some such nonsense. Of course, no thought to what the young ones might WANT to do... it's only about money.

This WT study was pathetic. Never before have I been so vehement in opposition to the WTS. Every comment I just wanted to stand up and say "you people have no idea what you're talking about and neither does the WTS. This is bullshit - F*** you, f*** you, f*** you, and f*** you. I'm out." I woulnd't even have gone if it wasn't for the fact that no one knows of my "discontent" with the WTS. The entire time sitting there I was just thinking of how much I could use a drink....

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

PREDICTABLY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit