ALL YOU BABY BOOMERS - LETS REMINISCE, O.K. ??

by juni 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I'm considered as being a boomer but really never considered myself one. I was too young to be a hippie or protest (not that I would have been allowed to, but I always secretly admired them), most of these memories are before my time. I was born in 1956, 4 years before the deadline of boomer, and I never ever figured out how they determined where to draw the line with the dates. I really feel like we had a whole different life experience and culture by the time I was a teenager.

I was a teenager in the 70s, but I really don't have memories of most of the stuff from childhood. My sitcoms (when I was allowed to watch them) were Bewitched, Batman, and I know I watched Star Trek, but I really don't remember if it was the original or when it re-aired on re-runs, those went on forever. I read the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the hobbit about 17 times.

Hitchhiking was frowned on because kids were starting to die routinely, I envied those that had gone hitching around the country and saw the sights. The music I remember was Creedence, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Innagaddadavida (whoever did that song), Deep Purple, Smokin in the Boys Room, my first concert was to see ZZ Top.

There was a cartoon, can't remember the name, Jonny something, he was a boy with a dog named Bandit, his father was a scientist and bad guys were always after them, I really liked that one. Bugs Bunny is timeless and shall always remain my hero. I liked the Jetsons, of course, but then I have always loved sci-fi.

I take exception to this: pristine culture of that time

Thats BS. The 70s were not pristine, where were you living, Mars? Even the teachers at my school were smoking pot. Free love was still around. No I think the 70s were more of the decade of sexual experimentation and excess.

The one thing I will agree with is that the boomers grew up to be massively hypocritical. They fought for so many civil liberties that are now being taken away, for so many rights, such as the rights to disagree and dissent peacably, those are being taken away. And most notably to question everything to find a better solution. Now disagreement is frowned upon in the collective (at least in this country). If you disagree with the administration you are viewed as unpatriotic and spoken of abusively (as in prior posts about liberals in this very thread).

Still, its been an interesting read, I just had to throw in another perspective.

Sherry

• prophecor
    prophecor
    I take exception to this: pristine culture of that time

Thats BS. The 70s were not pristine, where were you living, Mars?

Can you spell SARCASM?

If you paid any attention to the rest of my post on this topic, you might find that I hold very little regard for much of anything that my generation has come up with or come thru, as it pertains to the 60's. The sixties, as far as I'm concerned brought about some of the most destructive energy into this country. Viet Nam, the civil rights struggle, the sexual revolution, the echo of that scourge still exist in the voices of those who are infected with the aids virus and HIV. Kennedy, Robert & John, Charles Manson as well as various numbers of infamous serial killers. I have very little love for much of anything that has come out that time.

• juni
    juni

Hi prophecor,

NOTHING GOOD CAME OUT OF THE 60s?????

The fact that you are sitting in front of your computer and enjoying who knows what all technology has brought to you all came about due to the space program. I remember our school computer in jr. high filled a whole room.

AIR PURIFICATION SYSTEMS, MINURIZATION OF ALL ELECTRONICS Things that we take for granted. Juni :)

• horrible life
    horrible life

Quinton , I loved Shakeys Pizza

Shakeys Pizza

altDoes anyone remember the CLACKERS? You would clack them together, and get them going high and low, then you would miss and they would hit your arm, and bring the biggest bruises and knots on your arms? Our kids don't know the meaning of fun!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit