ALL YOU BABY BOOMERS - LETS REMINISCE, O.K. ??

by juni 43 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

I've decided to put out this TOPIC for some fun after I posted at the Simon and Garfunkel TOPIC.

Anything you want to say on whatever subject: MUSIC, MOVIES, LIFE, WORK, WHAT DID OUR GENERATON CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY, FAMILY, GRANDCHILDREN, YOUR BODY NOW HEADING SOUTH, BALDNESS, ACCEPTANCE OF OURSELVES AND SHORTCOMINGS, MORE TOLERANT (OR TOO TIRED TO CARE?).

I feel our generation has contributed greatly to medical advances i.e. replacing worn out joints, etc. Keeping a good attitude about getting older. And loving to have fun and act goofy. Not afraid to get out there and shake our booties w/our grandchildren at parties.

Love to hear about your feelings!! juni breeze~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

• prophecor
    prophecor

We furthered the continuance of the sexual revolution of the sixties, and transfered it into the era of the late 70's disco era to the 80's, which thereafter brought about the problem of AIDS which is so prevalent in our society now.

We were able to get away from much of the triteness and tight assededness of American Sitcoms such as Three's Company, Joanie Loves Chaci, and came to a more realistic if not idealistic type of humor, I.E. Married With Children, The Simpsons, Def Jam Comedy, and a whole shift in the thoughts and ideas of a nation as regards how we percieved the generation before us. Ever watch the 70's show?

We also should give credit to those who thought it better to talk to thier children as opposed to punishing them with the rod, for the overwhelming abundance of problem children we have unleashed on society.

We were raised by parents who ascribed to the philosophy and psychology of those like Dr. Spock and found it more socially acceptable to leave corporal punishment out of the equation. We now have children who run ramshackled over parents, too affraid of confronting thier children as society continues on it's downward spiral.

We no longer have control over our families. The elections in California where it is was voted down that a child should be required to give her parents 48 hours notice that she was going to recieve an abortion, is now not even an issue. Parents in California are now handcuffed with regard to the right to assume any control whatsoever in the lives of their children.

Not certain as to the ages of those of the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals responsible for allowing such a bill to become law, but they sound like the liberals from my generation.

• TD
    TD

We are also, collectively utter hypocrites. We fought against "the establishment" for the right to be heard in the 60's and now that we are in power, we are even quicker to try and shout down and silence dissenting viewpoints.

• juni
    juni

Your thoughts appreciated! So true. Hypocrisy with a lot; child rearing and kids running amuk. My brother was a true "hippy". Son called him by his first name and he was never disciplined - just told not to do something until the boy almost killed himself. We all cringed.

Yeah I agree on that thing in CA about notice to the parents. This world has gone crazy! Parents' rights have been taken away in a lot of incidences. Some are afraid of spanking in public in fear they'll be charged w/abuse.

A revolution was started in the 60's to be continued. Never watched '70's Show. Our kids grew up in the 70's and 80's and 90's. Even in the Org. w/all of its tight assed rules we as a family had fun and "let our hair down". So many didn't have a sense of humor. They would tell you to smile as we worship a happy God, but really it was fake as quite a few people were basically miserable.

• juni
    juni

Heh prophecor!

Don't you mean GREEN ACRES, PETTICOAT JUNCTION, BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, ETC. Those you mentioned were in the 70's.

• prophecor
    prophecor
    Don't you mean GREEN ACRES, PETTICOAT JUNCTION, BEVERLY HILLBILLIES, ETC. Those you mentioned were in the 70's.

Yes, they were the things that were out during our days, but the babyboomers cover a pretty broad period of time. 1945 to 1960?

I'm referring more to the things that many of we baby boomers have watched during even our adult period as well as the societal norms or at least the things we once regarded as the norm.

Was disco not the most objectionable scourge to have infected the world with?

Platform Shoes, plaid polyesters that took thousands of lives to kill? We were a generation who's time had never come. We were sociologically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally in our infancy.

The advent of technology that still turns the corner has so desperately informed me just how truly dinosaurish we actually are / were.

Our children who are to come after us, should the world continue, will have absolutely no mercy on us who have left them with this legacy of emptiness. They will deal us a powerful blow to our egos and our sensibilities.

• Balsam
    Balsam

Good heavens, I can remember thinking people over 35 were so old. Boy those were the good old days. LOL

The sexual experimentation was sure a break from the old thinking in the 50's, and us baby boomers mostly embraced the experience because we didn't have AIDS back then.

Black lights, Creedence Clearwater Revival and crusing, yes those were the fun days.

• prophecor
  • prophecor
    prophecor

An American Instituion of the 60's Generation

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I miss this:

It's 1968~

I get a candy bar for 5 cents, a coke for 10 cents, a bag of chips for 10 cents, a comic book for 12 cents and my friend does the same thing. That's 37 cents a piece with a penny tax. We were lucky and scrounged up enough money, 70 cents including tax for a Tommy James and the Shondells 45 record, Crimson and Clover.

We spend the afternoon, lying on my bed, snacking, reading then exchanging Archie for Millie the Model comic books while listening to 45's. The cost? $1.24.

The next day our mom's drop us at the movies for a matinee double feature. An Elvis picture and a Disney animal movie like Charlie The Lonesome Cougar. Our tickets cost us 25 cents a piece. Popcorn, coke, jordan almons and a sour pickle? About 85 cents each plus the ticket price.

The rest of the weekend we spend riding our bikes, skating on roller skates that hook on our Keds tennis shoes and adjust with a key that we wear on a string around our necks while listening to KMRC 1430 on your dial on my transistor radio. We also hike in the south Louisiana woods and swing on the "tarzan vines". We talk a lot about the cute boys at school. We drool over Davey Jones of the Monkees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit