Can you read this?

by skyman 11 Replies latest social humour

• skyman
    skyman

Can you read this? Olny srmat poelpe can. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I don't see anything.

• daystar
    daystar

Yaeh, it's ptrtey istnretnig.

Works the same way with optical illusions. The mind simply fills in blanks with what it expects based upon previous experience. This does not only apply to visual phenomena.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist
    This does not only apply to visual phenomena.

I never thought about that, but it only makes sense, doesn't it?

I'm sure that's true. I remember as a kid hearing branches clicking and water dripping and forming it all into conversations of people outside my house, discussing how best to break in and kidnap me. Paranoid little monster, I was, no wonder I latched onto JWism.

Has anybody tossed together any aural illusions? Olfactory illusions?

That sounds like fun!

Dave

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Skyman - isn't this how dyslexics perceive or write? I can read it.

• daystar
    daystar
    I never thought about that, but it only makes sense, doesn't it?

I'm sure that's true. I remember as a kid hearing branches clicking and water dripping and forming it all into conversations of people outside my house, discussing how best to break in and kidnap me. Paranoid little monster, I was, no wonder I latched onto JWism.

I suspect that, though I've not seen evidence or read the results of any research studies on the topic, people do this sort of a thing all of the time. It's a function of the mind relating to all of our experience.

I'll give an example: One car parked next to a curb. One man stands a few feet away on one side. Another man a few feet away on the other side. One side of the car is in perfect condition. The other side of the car is all sorts of banged up. Each man can only see one side of the car.

Each man's ideas and experience of that car are completely different. To one, the car shines. To the other, it's a wreck. If they were to meet and discuss it later, they would disagree. Neither have the whole picture. Their minds filled in the blanks by assuming that the entire car was just as the side that they were able to view.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

the entire world you know is a mental invention based on information which may be completely alien to the world as you actually see it.

• daystar
    daystar

zen - perfectly said!

• Darth Yhwh
    Darth Yhwh

Yeah, I could read it pretty easily. Makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me?

• I-CH-TH-U-S
    I-CH-TH-U-S
    Yeah, I could read it pretty easily; Makes me wonder if there's something wrong with me?

i went right through it and didnt even stop, i was actually scared at the end of it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit