Is Jesus Christ God?

by UnDisfellowshipped 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• heathen
    heathen

Hellrider -- You may be right , The WTBTS is the only religion that claims the bible was tampered with to support church doctrine but the likelihood of that statement being true is very likely . Just take a look at the king james version for instance , It's obvious king james was trying to make the bible read like a shakespear play rather than accurately translate it . The church has pulled many questionable acts on it's followers , such as christianizing pagan rituals thus you get the easter bunny and egg , both of which are fertility symbols then there is christmas which is one of the biggest pagan holidays in the history of man , the feast of saturnalia . I must say those are some very serious transgressions that I can't just discard as a whacky cult delussion . I think you were right that the WTBTS does insert secular sources and usually just the ones that agree with them on certain things , the rest of the time it's the wisdom of the world is foolishness kinda stuff .

Ianone --- didn't we discuss this before and I stated something like , the tetragramaton was found in the Isaiah scrolls at qumran ?

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Heathen:

The church has pulled many questionable acts on it's followers , such as christianizing pagan rituals thus you get the easter bunny and egg , both of which are fertility symbols then there is christmas which is one of the biggest pagan holidays in the history of man , the feast of saturnalia

Yes, you`re right. But these things became part of christian tradition, and has nothing to do with the Bible. The christmas tree is german. Santa clause is scandinavian. When the european people converted to christianity, they integrated some of their pagan beliefs into the new religion, that`s very true. But these things are not in the Bible. It`s ok for the WTS to claim that these things are pagan, and that christmas shouldn`t be celebrated. But then they should do away with wedding rings too, which are also pagan.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ianone here is promulgating the views of Pastor G. Reckart which are without historical or linguistic basis.

heathen....Yes, but Pastor Reckert has an answer of that. He claims the Dead Sea Scrolls are either later forgeries or had blank spaces which were "later" filled by the tetragrammaton. A view that no scholar or philologist would ever hold, for there isn't any evidence indicating this. But this is a necessary assertion in order to maintain Reckart's overall views about the tetragrammaton.

• defd
    defd

Tetragrammaton

Greek....Tetra means four..............gramma means letter = YHWH 4 letters.

D.

• daystar
    daystar

I haven't read this entire thread since it interests me very little... but, ever heard of the Pentagrammaton?

JHVH (Jehova)

JHSVH (Jehesva)

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

daystar....This is another erroneous notion. The name Yeshua (Jesus) is not yhswh in Hebrew and is not a modified form of the tetragrammaton yhwh. The name was originally yhwsh' (ending with an 'ayin) which contained YHW as a theophoric element (i.e. "Yahweh saves"), but in the post-exilic period the name was shortened to yshw' (thereby losing the theophoric element) and it is this name that the Greek form of "Jesus" is derived from.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Leolaia:

But is it possible that Jesus knew this, that his own name, in it`s older form, had "Yahwe saves" incorporated in it, and that it is this he means, where he somewhere (cant remember where, think it`s in John) thanks God for "the name that you have given me"? I always wondered what the connection was, with the names. The angel Gabriel tells Maria to call her son Immanuel (walks with god), and she calls him Jesus. Any thoughts, anyone?

• daystar
    daystar

Leo

Fascinating! Thanks for the correction.

• daystar
    daystar

leo

But, a question. What do you think of YHSWH? Is there any story there?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Hellrider...I'm not sure what text you are thinking of (of Jesus thanking God for the name).

daystar...There is no story about YHSWH; it's not a name that exists. It's a creation of those unfamiliar with the actual etymology of the name.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit