Is Jesus Christ God?

by UnDisfellowshipped 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Does Biblical Hebrew have capital letters?

No.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    I think that scripture in John was mistranslated because it doesn't make sense to say the word was with God and the word was God

Now that`s a bold statement. Which other parts of the Bible were mistranslated?

Based on the old testament it clearly says that jehovah is one jehovah . Isaiah 9:6 says the messiah will be called Mighty God with a capital G , it's clearly a father son relationship where the son shares the title of God but there is only one God Almighty.

I don`t think anyone has said that. Most bible scholars agree that that father and the son are disctinct in person, but the same in essence! And so, the question is, should you worship the God on basis of person, or essence?

• greendawn
    greendawn

In the scriptures there are verses that support the trinity and others that support the opposite side and each side tries to twist the opposing scriptures to fit its concepts.

In my view Jesus became God-like after his death, equal to God in all things as respects the creation.

• heathen
    heathen

Hellrider --- I suppose there is the argument over cross or stake , crussified or impaled , a couple of things that could be said to have been added in or removed much like the name jehovah was removed . How people interpret Hell is another good one or soul and spirit . There are alot of things if you think about it . I'm no expert in the languages either so only can chose an opinion that suits me . I now know that the WTBTS lied about their credentials so am not sure wether to throw the baby out with the bath water or not .

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Heathen:

Throw out the babies too. Ask yourself: Why did they have to lie in the first place?

But the real point is that if one were to suddenly assume that some things were changed in the Bible, then the consequense of that (from a christian point of view), is that whatever one decides was changed, will be based on ones beliefs, prejudices, etc. Now, I`m all for secular points of view, if secular history and research says a certain thing was changed, then I would have no problem in accepting that, but then, that would be me, thinking from my secular viewpoint. If I were to think of it from a christian viewpoint, I`d be in serious trouble. The problem with the WTS is that they do sometimes incorporate "secular" knowledge into their religion, like when they say that the NT at one time had the name of God in it...and then, at the same time, fail to see the consequenses of that kind of reasoning.

But anyway, they`re wrong. The tatragrammation was never in the NT, and all serious academics on this issue agrees on that. Like you, I don` t know much about the biblical languages either, but I have picked up that the OT was translated into greek (the Septuagint) before Jesus was born. The tetragrammation was not used in the Septuagint, because it would be impossible for a greek to read it/understand it. So yes, yhwh was removed from the OT, but not as the result of some conspirace to make Jesus the new God (ha ha). Only the paranoid mind of a JW could believe something like that. They have somehow gotten the belief that they are the bellybutton of the world, and that the entire world revolves around them, and that somehow, 2000 years ago, a conspiracy developed to lead mankind astray from the "original christianity" (whatever that was), which the JWs see as their "original religion", that JWs are the restoration of "original christianity". Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. As the NT was written in greek, and the NT is to a great extent based on the lives of Jesus and the apostles as well as the OT (the Septuagint), then it`s only logical that the tetragrammation was not used in the NT. It`s not that complicated, actually.

• Ianone
    Ianone

Of course the tetragrammatron wasn't in the New Testament because the tragrammatron came from the Kabbalah which was condemned by Jesus as the "traditions of the elders." Nor was it in the Greek Septuagint, which oldest translation we have of the Old Testament.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    Of course the tetragrammatron wasn't in the New Testament because the tragrammatron came from the Kabbalah which was condemned by Jesus as the "traditions of the elders." Nor was it in the Greek Septuagint, which oldest translation we have of the Old Testament.

Well, it depends on the particular copy you have in your hands. Looking at the Sinaiticus, Vaticanus, or Alexandrinus and I'd have to agree with you that you'd just have kyri-os or the-os. But Origen when documenting the many variations of the LXX in his Hexapla had multiple entries (kyrios as well as the Tetragrammaton) meaning that he had some copies with it. And for the record, he wasn't Jewish. As well I suggest you look up LXXP.Fouad Inv.266. The fragments of Deuteronomy have the Tetragrammaton in several instances.(1st century BC I believe). Also check up on some LXX fragments from the cave at Nahal Hever. Those are about middle to end of the 1st century AD methinks.

• Ianone
    Ianone

I don't understand why people call "I AM THAT I AM" the tetragrammatron. The Tetragrammatron is YHWH, which originated in the Kabbalah and Gematria. Caculated from Numerology. The term Tetragrammatron itself is found no where in scripture. The term comes from the Kabbalah.

• atypical
    atypical

I've been pondering a more important question. Is Tetragod a benevolent god or a malevolent god? Should I make him my favorite god? Which one of his avatars do I like the best? (Obvious answer there - the red devil picture. It's awesome!)

On the other hand, Brownboy is a pretty interesting god-type-person-slave-class. Can they be co-rulers?

Sorry, but after a few beers I just can't be as serious.....

• Ianone
    Ianone

Which begs the obvious question - why are Jehovah's Witnesses, and many Evangelicals using a pagan name for their "god?" Pagan or not, the Kabbalah and Gematria are not Biblical. What is a Kabbalist name, YHWH, being used for a completely different religion?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit