Is Jesus Christ God?

by UnDisfellowshipped 66 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Well, if the questions were presented as more of a slice than a dozen whole pies, it might be easier to continue a dialogue. As it is, I can't see why anybody would spend 10 hours answering all those questions in a comprehensive manner, especially since they aren't original questions but rather a copy-and-paste from some anti-JW website.

4:) Is Jesus a TRUE god or Is Jesus a false god?

That question has been demonstrated time and again on this board as a false dichotomy. People who ask such questions expecting to catch a JW in a "AHA!" moment are being a little intellectually dishonest and don't understand JW theology very well at all, though they think they do.

• sir82
    sir82

My take on the matter is this:

If this were such an important, deal-breaking, saved-or-not-saved issue to get right, then it would be clearly, unambiguously, explicitly taught directly in the Bible.

As it is, there are scores of texts which seem to indicate one way or the other. Milenniums of debate between the "Is Jesus God or not" camps demonstrate that the issue is completely ambiguous.

To think that one's salvation depends on getting this one issue right--and if you get it wrong, off to the inferno--is, IMHO, preposterous. Any God who would base judgment on this issue doesn't deserve worship.

And if it's not a salvation issue, well, it's an interesting topic, but who cares?

• xjwms
    xjwms

Undisfellowshipped

You have not been here for awhile.

And I was thinking about all your great posts. GLAD TO SEE YOU HERE...!

• gumby
    gumby
    4:) Is Jesus a TRUE god or Is Jesus a false god?
    That question has been demonstrated time and again on this board as a false dichotomy. People who ask such questions expecting to catch a JW in a "AHA!" moment are being a little intellectually dishonest and don't understand JW theology very well at all, though they think they do.

Amen Amen Amen. That's 3 Amens........and one more.......Amen

Gumby

• defd
    defd

No, he is Gods only BEGOTTEN son.

D.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

sir82, it's only a salvation issue to evangelical fundies (including nontrinitarian fundies like Christadelphians and Jdubs).

But you're right. The Bible contains precious little dogmatic doctrine that is spelled out to easily understand. The NT writers even admit Jesus kept certain people from understanding, spoke in signs and figures of speech and riddles, and "Peter" noted that a lot of xtians were confused about "Paul's" epistles.

That's why the councils of Nicea and Chalcedonia (sp?) spelled out the creeds, which of course Assembly of God Pentecostals, Christadelphians, IBSA, and JWs and to an extent SDA all disagree with.

• Ianone
    Ianone

It is a salvation issue actually. He who denies that Christ has come in the flesh is antichrist. Obviously Christ came in the flesh, the statement appears to be referring to Christ (as God) coming in the flesh.) I mean, what would you rather worship...Jesus, or the tetragrammatron of the Kabbalah?

• heathen
    heathen
    "Just as the Father raises the dead up and makes them alive, so the Son also makes those alive whom he wants to. For the Father judges no one at all, but he has committed all the judging to the Son, in order that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father."

Yah that's something the J-dubs over look there . Honoring the son just as they honor the father . There are scriptures where jesus clearly says he is not God the father . I think that scripture in John was mistranslated because it doesn't make sense to say the word was with God and the word was God .Based on the old testament it clearly says that jehovah is one jehovah . Isaiah 9:6 says the messiah will be called Mighty God with a capital G , it's clearly a father son relationship where the son shares the title of God but there is only one God Almighty. Jesus does have all authority in heaven and earth but only received that at Mathew 28:18 .

• sir82
    sir82

Honest question here:

Isaiah 9:6 says the messiah will be called Mighty God with a capital G

Does Biblical Hebrew have capital letters? Are they used the same way that English capital letters are?

• heathen
    heathen

To my knowledge they are . Just like the capital YHVH for Jehovah . I tell ya I only use the WTBTS bible and it's capital M and G for Mighty God at Isaiah 9:6 .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit