Anyone experienced the private Kingdom Schools?

by Sheepish 25 Replies latest jw experiences

• Jourles
    Jourles
    What you end up with is a group of people who have no idea how to interact in the real world, which is where they're going to have to live one day.

That is, unless, they are molding them to go to bethel....

• Odrade
    Odrade

My husband went to one in California, 5th grade I think, around 1980-1

• xjwms
    xjwms

This is new to me

1977.... hummmmm.... I was busy working and bought my first house

• Netty
    Netty

I went to the "new world education center" BARF, here in Tucson too, Misanthropic. Same one Sheepish taught at. (We've chatted a little on the pm, and know some of the same people.)

I haven't posted in quite a long time, but this one brought me back to the board

• misanthropic
    misanthropic

I forgot to add that the Witness school I knew of is no longer there. It went under for some reason, I'm not sure exactly why? But I am very thankful I never had to attend it.....

• damselfly
    damselfly

Well I now have the answer to what would be worse then home schooling? I would have lost my mind! I take it from the posts that these school don't exist any longer?

Dams

• MrHartPhx
    MrHartPhx

New World Educational Center in Phoenix. Didn't stay open too long though. I think it was fairly 'worldy' for a JW school.. lol

Larry

• TopHat
    TopHat

The schools for JW kids probably cost to much to keep up with supplies and teacher salary so they disbanned them, do you think?

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Never heard of them in the UK, although it begame the trendy thing among dubs to do home schooling in the 80's- 90's . I have heard only on this board about such schools but until now I thought that they were much older in time. I am glad we never had it... My earch of the c/d rom has no later references than these, they said that after the flag salute issue was resolved, the dub students returned to State Schools. Evidently, some continued :-

w55 7/15 p. 428 Part 14: Fight Carried into the Law Courts ***

Jehovah’s witnesses, for the education of their children, had to organize and finance private schools, known as "Kingdom Schools." These private boarding schools were operated in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Maryland and Georgia.

w55 10/1 p. 590 Part 19: Christian Neutrals in America During World War II ***

The Supreme Court reversed itself on June 14, 1943, in the case of West Virginia State Board of Education v. Barnette, holding that Jehovah’s witnesses need not salute the flag.

w55 10/1 p. 590 Part 19: Christian Neutrals in America During World War II ***

What rejoicing this victory brought to Jehovah’s people! Now their children could return to public schools for their education and no longer would it be necessary to operate the temporary Kingdom Schools. For the first time in eight long years could the children of the witnesses take their rightful places in the schoolrooms of the nation, This without their being required to make what to them is an idolatrous salute.

• atypical
    atypical

MrHartPhx, actually the school is still in existence and has been this whole time. what happened was they were forced into making it a charter school which means they have to accept kids that are not jws and I don't think they can openly teach just the jw theology, but I'm not sure completely what the rules are now. All I know is that it is now located near Central Ave and Indian School Road, and it is still called New World Educational Center. My sister attended the school growing up. I know several people who teach there. They do not have to have a college education to teach there! Also, it was very true in the beginning (maybe still) that parents sent their "problem" children to the Witness school, so what it turned into was a bunch of witness kids who were bad news compared to a good old regular school. Kids went to the witness school and learned worse habits than if they were left alone. It was pretty crazy. It was also in a terrible, unsafe neighborhood, which always bothered me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit