If you celebrate Christmas, do you belief in Christ?

by free2beme 26 Replies latest jw friends

• free2beme
    free2beme

I celebrate Christmas each year and do no consider myself a Christian in any way. My spouse does not either and we are raising our son to be non-Christian. So why do I celebrate Christmas, because I can. We enjoy it and have fun. We do the tree, the gifts and the decorations. We do it all, but no mention of Christ in the whole thing. We know it is pagan in nature and we consider ourselves pagan and figure, "our holiday." When people say, "you shouldn't celebrate a holiday that is Christian, when your not." I laugh, HARD! Like our lives have to have some guide book or rules on what we can and can not celebrate anymore.

Get this, and feel free to laugh, I did. My mother, an extreme Witness, actually said this to me once after I left and meant it.

"Why would you leave the Witnesses, and Christianity, and then celebrate a holiday that is so Christian in nature and tradition"

Can you believe that? It's true and she said it with a straight face. I can not believe that the desperation of argument would go to a level that you would actually call Christmas a Christian holiday, when you go door to door saying it is "pagan!" In all, she felt very proud of her comment and has used it many times since. Each time, I hold back the laughs and encourage her to use it more and more.

Christmas is a great holiday to take advantage of, if you haven't yet, enjoy! Above all, don't think you have to be a Christian to enjoy Christmas. There not really connected anyway, as we all know.

• damselfly
    damselfly

I love christmas as I gives me a chance to feel like I belong to a family. I could care less about it's christian/pagan roots. For me it's about the chance to catch up with friends and relax for a few days.

Dams

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    I love christmas as I gives me a chance to feel like I belong to a family. I could care less about it's christian/pagan roots. For me it's about the chance to catch up with friends and relax for a few days.

I agree dams

• blondie
    blondie

This is a perfect example of JWs and the WTS speak out of both sides of their mouths. The rank and file have heard the WTS doing it for so many years, they think it is natural.

I find that people who are still Christian in belief focus more on the Bible aspect, going to church, putting up a creche, singing Christmas hymns, but also do all the non-religious customs. I find the more strict ones eliminate Santa from the scene.

Whereas people who are not oriented that way, focus more on the decorations, the food, Santa emblems, Santa songs, no church attendance, association with family (especially from far away).

Of course there is some spill over, but this is my observation with my non-JW family and friends.

• freedom96
    freedom96

There certainly are those who are not Christian that celebrate Christmas. It should be enjoyed by all who wish to share in the enjoyment of it.

However, there are many who do in fact celebrate it as a Christian holiday, with Christ at the center of it. In this day and age, Christmas is hardly considered a pagan holiday.

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

we all know christmas is about the corporation now... umm i mean family, yeah the family!!! its about family and spending money... umm i mean giving gifts of love.... and its about family and gifts of love and dinner...

the infamous one

• damselfly
    damselfly

Where's Hibiscusfire when you need her?

Dams

• kiddotan
    kiddotan

As a family we aren't christians, we just had a family day, lots of food, fun, pressies, food, friends, did i mention food. On the beach or by the pool.

We have a rule only hand made gifts or certificates allowed.

We still do this now, if we are all in the same country at once.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Not a Christian. Most Christians give Jesus a bad name. I don't know what to think of him anymore. I know he isn't God. Always knew that. Is he some god's son? If so, are we all some god or goddess' sons and daughters?

I like Santa and I like the religious carols and angels and manger scene and all. It's all romantic. It's all fun. One of my favorite Christmas decorations is my Soul Santa.

• Country_Woman
    Country_Woman

The celebration of X-mas (or Christmas) has nothing to do with religion - at least, not today with all the presents and fun-figures around....

Even in non-Christian parts of the world, people are enjoying Christmas (like in Japan -shinto religion)

So, you can take part of a huge family celebration without being a christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit