If you celebrate Christmas, do you belief in Christ?

by free2beme 26 Replies latest jw friends

• xjwms
    xjwms

On CNBC

They said, ... to do your shopping now.

Before you get your first energy bill.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

I celebrate Christmas and am not a Christian. Christmas is more pagan than Christian.

• kid-A
    kid-A

It has no religious undertones at all for me. Its just lots of fun to give and receive presents and I love the decorations, which I see as an appropriate homage to the pagan heritage that all europeans share.

• ChrisVance
    ChrisVance
    "Why would you leave the Witnesses, and Christianity, and then celebrate a holiday that is so Christian in nature and tradition"

My cousin, who is a devote dub, told that if I don't believe in jesus I shouldn't celebrate xmas. So you shouldn't celebrate xmas if you're a christian because it's pagan, but you shouldn't celebrate xmas if you're a pagan because it's christain. Yep!

• kristyann
    kristyann

Like some people have said, it's what you make of it. Some people do celebrate the Christian aspect of it much more... even if it has "pagan" roots or was originally celebrated as a pagan holiday (solstice celebrations, etc) that doesn't mean that someone can't celebrate it as a Christian holiday now. Some people focus totally on the secular aspect, but some people make it a day dedicated to remembering the birth of their Savior Jesus Christ. So it can be what you make of it... if you want it to be secular, then you can just celebrate the secular part of it I guess. And if you want it to be Christian, you can use that day as a day to celebrate Jesus' birth as well. It's up to you and it really doesn't matter what it has its roots in. I use the names of the days of the month and the days of the week everyday in my conversation... but I am pretty sure I could still use the month of July or the day of Monday or whatever to honor Jesus if I wanted to.

• delilah
    delilah

Damselfly said it all,"I love christmas as I gives me a chance to feel like I belong to a family. I could care less about it's christian/pagan roots. For me it's about the chance to catch up with friends and relax for a few days."

I love the whole spirit of the holiday....the lights, decorations, the music....the well-wishing amongst neighbours...sharing a drink or two, or three.....watching the smiles on everyone's faces, as they open a present....and when giving a present------the anticipation.....How can anything so wonderful, be so wrong?????

• daystar
    daystar

Heh heh...

I don't know about you guys, but there is a banner ad for this site that I see on the second page of this thread - http://www.chrismukkah.com/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit