ARRESTED-ELDER SEX 12 y.o. IN K-HALL

by DannyHaszard 31 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Former elder heads to trial on sex charges
    News & Observer, NC - 14 minutes ago
    PITTSBORO -- A former Jehovah's Witnesses minister accused of repeatedly having sex with two underage girls in the group's Siler City church is scheduled to go ...

Published: Nov 8, 2005
    Modified: Nov 8, 2005 3:00 AM

Former elder heads to trial on sex charges By JESSICA ROCHA, Staff Writer PITTSBORO -- A former Jehovah's Witnesses minister accused of repeatedly having sex with two underage girls in the group's Siler City church is scheduled to go to trial today.

Oscar Omar Osorto Sr., 47, of Liberty faces 27 sex-related charges, including that he had intercourse with two sisters starting when the girls were about 12 years old.

For four years starting in March 2000, according to court documents, Osorto had sex with the girls inside the congregation's Kingdom Hall, as well as in his car and possibly other locations.

He was arrested in July 2004 and was released on $50,000 bail a few days later.

But on Monday in Superior Court, Osorto's attorney told Judge Stafford Bullock that no physical evidence exists that Osorto touched the girls.

In a request to prohibit expert witnesses from testifying about physical examinations, public defender Ken Richardson said one girl's exam was normal and the other's results could have been caused by having sex with her boyfriend, or another possible assault.

Richardson said prosecutors essentially were left with stories, and "there is no physical evidence to support them."

Osorto was one of several elders in the church's Spanish-language congregation until last year when he was "disfellowshipped," or kicked out of the church, after the rape allegations surfaced, according to court records.

Elders are supposed to provide spiritual guidance to church members, using teachings based on the Bible, said Jonathan Dunn, an elder in the English-language Siler City congregation. "They have to be good examples to meet the high standards," he said.

In their roles, elders may counsel other members of the church, and Jehovah's Witnesses consider that communication confidential even though they often keep written records. The congregation's elders asked the court last month not to force them to testify or to share those records. A judge decided the elders could be subpoenaed to testify about what the girls said but did not have to testify about communications with Osorto.

However, Dunn said the group never discourages those with complaints of abuse from reporting them to law enforcement, though in some instances leaders may choose to report something themselves.

"We are not going to protect anybody," Dunn said, adding, "This matter of child abuse is just something disgusting to us, and one is too many."

Staff writer Jessica Rocha can be reached at 932-2008 or [email protected].

• under74
    under74
    Osorto was one of several elders in the church's Spanish-language congregation until last year when he was "disfellowshipped," or kicked out of the church, after the rape allegations surfaced, according to court records.

So there were 2 witnesses to the rapes?....or he admitted to it but wasn't taking responsibility and the elders had some kind of backbone? If the elders do testify I'm sure it'll be something to hear how this all worked out.

BTW Danny, thanks for posting these news items and keeping us informed of stories that might get missed.

• greendawn
    greendawn

There was a time when they used to say that their organisation was clean unlike others which were corrupt. However humans being what they are that was an unlikely situation, and then all the scandals about child abuse and general sex scandals were revealed.

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Hang him high!

• Odrade
    Odrade

They're not going to protect anyone, but they petitioned the court to not testify against the child-rapist? How exactly does that work? Bastards. I'm sick of it.

• daystar
    daystar

MOTHERF****R!!!!

• SWALKER
    SWALKER

Interesting to see what goes on in the Holy Sanctuary--KH's that are supposed to be so pure. I wonder when Armageddon starts if the JW's are going to run to that Hall?

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Swalker

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

I'm going to be sick. Then I'm going to hunt. Then I'm going to torture. Then I'm going to maim. I wish life were that simple. I'd get a sharp edge weapon and a good crossbow. Game on!

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I'll bring the automatic rifles if you bring the bullets!

• minimus
    minimus

JWs make it sound as if they won't tolerate child abuse but they won't go to court and testify against the abuser.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit