JW fads

by Cellist 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

You're not supposed to clap now when someone gets reinstated. Apparently, that's cause they have to "prove" themselves.

Another lovely Dub fad was Witnesses selling their homes so they had $100,000 + to tide them over until Armageddon started. And this is post 1975 people......I know of one couple in my Hall who decided to "simplify their lifestyle" by selling their home. I think they had about $90,000 equity in it, and they figured that that would be plenty for them to live on until Armageddon came "soon". Let me see, that was in the late 1980s I believe. They're not going to have a pot to piss in, or a window to fire it out of when they retire because the wife never worked outside the home and the husband never bothered to pay into a pension (surprise, surprise). When they did this, there were 3 or 4 other families in the Hall who also did this. They claimed it was so they could spend more time "in God's Service", but in reality, they wanted to get their hands on some easy cash and just blow it, figuring that with the Big A coming, they'd never have to repay anything.

There were also "pioneer parties" and "elder parties" galore. If you were pioneering one month, all those sisters got together for a luncheon at one of their homes. One time, an elder's wife had been excluded because she hadn't pioneered that month. She raised holy hell over not being invited to the lunch, got the elders involved, blah, blah, blah.........it was pathetic!!

• Cellist
    Cellist

One hall we attended seemed to have a thing for "gestures". Amongst the younger speakers they were always trying to "keep up with the Jones's" on the latest trend in gestures. A few were well connected enough to start the trend.

Mary, we didn't have anyone selling their homes though. I can't believe anyone would fall into that trap again after the 1975 fiasco.

Cellist

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i remember there was a fad for wearing suits i.e. metching jacket and trousers

and not having beards

but i think it was just for sisters

• Cellist
    Cellist

LOL Tijkmo. I don't remember anything stating that the sisters couldn't have beards. I've seen a few with beards and they didn't get counselled.

Cellist

• Jez
    Jez

Multilevel marketing schemes went through alot of BC congregations like wildfire in the late 1990s. For example,I remember AMWAY being huge here amongst witnesses and eventually alot of talks about multilevel marketing and using the congregation as a 'list of potentials' or using the meetings to 'contact' ppl. Not to take advantage of having a large community of ppl to pester.

Amongst the city teen witnesses, they started to think it was cooler to call "the truth", "the deal"...hence they would say, "Is soandso still in the deal?" Don't think that one caught on...lol.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Right, Jez. How could we forget the marketing schemes? Which brings to mind all the holistic healing fads that came but never went. Just kept multiplying.

Cellist

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Which brings to mind all the holistic healing fads that came but never went.

Which recalls an event recently in which 2 sisters started arguing over thie virtues of Reverse Osmosis, and distilled water. One sister eats garlic, and insists on getting in your face when she talks to you...

• greendawn
    greendawn

At least garlic is indeed good for our health and all dubs should use it but then no interested persons would come near the kh.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit