JW fads

by Cellist 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Cellist
    Cellist

Does anyone remember the fad of not saying "amen" at the end of a prayer? I think it started in the late 80s. What are some other fads that you remember?

Cellist

• Quentin
    Quentin

Wouldn't call it a fad, and I think it's probably been mentioned here before, there was a time when applause was premitted after any talk given from the platfrom. Seems I read on JWD that applause is no longer done at assemblies...maybe not though

• blondie
    blondie

I remember this as not saying "amen" verbally because it would influence others to parrot you rather than saying it sincerely. You could say it silently.

It must have been a problem because the WTS was compelled to "clarify" it in 1986.

w86 5/15 p. 22 Praying Before Others With a Humble Heart ***

Is

it appropriate for listeners to say an audible "Amen" at the end of public prayer?

Yes, if they desire or feel impelled to do so. Paul spoke of the "Amen" said by those listening to a prayer, although he did not specifically say whether this was audible, or silent in their hearts. (1 Corinthians 14:16) However, under the Mosaic Law, there was an occasion when the Israelites were specifically instructed to say "Amen!" out loud. (Deuteronomy 27:14-26) Hence, when the person praying indicates the end of his prayer by saying "Amen," it is appropriate for the listeners to say "Amen" in their hearts or audibly with a low voice. Parents should train their children to show proper appreciation in the way they express any subdued "Amen."

• blondie
    blondie

No applause at the KH except after the first talk a student gives in the first or second school and after the public talk.

Still applause at the conventions; the talk outlines are designed with pauses to cause "spontaneous" clapping at certain points during the talk. There is still the "tradition" of clapping at the end of the day's session brought over by JWs attending European and other foreign conventions.

Blondie

• Cellist
    Cellist

The fad I was referring to was, the speaker not saying "amen". At a D.C. the person saying the prayer just quit speaking. When we looked up, he was walking off the stage. Everyone was momentarily confused. Then it spread like wildfire through the congregations. Then fizzled.

Cellist

• blondie
    blondie

Oh, cellist, I remember that too. If the person giving the prayer were to say amen, it was as if he were validating his own words. That others in the audience were to validate it by saying amen. But since they gave people permission to say mental amens, what a hoot it would have been if everyone had done that. Total silence.

Blondie

• Quentin
    Quentin
    No applause at the KH except after the first talk a student gives in the first or second school and after the public talk.

Ahhh...thought it had been completly done away with...that's the problem with memory, sometimes it fails

• Cellist
    Cellist

That's interesting. I never knew what the rationale was behind the phenomena. It just seemed weird and was rather confusing to not hear an "amen". What was really funny is the people who believed strongly in an audible "amen" would say it really loud out in the audience.

Blondie, I sent you a pm. But I'm not sure if my pm's are going anywhere. Did you get it?

Cellist

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

I've given plenty of assembly and convention talks - there are no "pauses" in the outlines for applause. That having been said, I've seen many a brother intentionally raise his voice at the end of sentences or in making some point to "milk" applause from the audience. I heard one brother doing this so blatantly in his talk, getting applauded every minute of so, that the friends around me started joking about it. "He could say Satan is great right now and get applause." We all just stopped applauding.

S4

• blondie
    blondie
    That having been said, I've seen many a brother intentionally raise his voice at the end of sentences or in making some point to "milk" applause from the audience.

I was not totally accurate; the brother I talked to marked it on his own outline to "raise" his voice and to wait for the audience to clap. It was not marked officially on the outline. I have been to some with obvious, embarrassing pauses when the audience didn't pick up on the fact that they were supposed to clap when he raised his voice.

Either way, the applause is not natural and is expected. Towards the end of my convention attending career, I deliberately did not clap and looked around to see that less than half the audience was doing so. I overhead one little boy say, "what are we clapping for?" Mom said, "be quiet and clap, you don't need to know why."

Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit