Seeker4 - Just Found Out I'm Disfellowshipped!!

by Seeker4 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

That's weird. You'd think you'd at least get a phone message. It's pretty obvious why they wouldn't write you a letter.

DFing people in abstentia? What's next, assigning ministry school parts on the spot?

• Scully
    Scully

They did basically the same thing to Mr Scully.... announced that he DAd himself in 2002 and we didn't find out for an entire year!

Then they lied to the congregation and said that they received a letter from him.

Nice, eh?

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Congratulations Seeker, now you can get on with the rest of your life away from the org.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Thanks for the responses.

I heard about it through my sister, who is not a JW! She was told by me ex-wife, still a JW. My ex-wife told her that the elders never informed her that the announcement was going to be made, and it caught her totally by surprise (remember, this announcement was made about 4 months AFTER I was invited to a judicial committee meeting!

When invited last April, I sent the elders a 10 page letter (it's posted on this website) saying that they were going contrary to WTS policy in dealing with someone who for nearly a decade had not claimed to be a JW, and who hadn't attended one meeting in at least 7 years. I threatened the elder body with individual lawsuits for harrassment in failing to follow WTS policy.

My take on it is that the letter, due to the legal threat, would have been sent to the legal department at Bethel. Thus the several month delay. I'm sure the announcement would only have been made with the OK of Bethel, which kind of shoots down my assertion that the body of elders was not following the direction of the WTS!

On a funny, or maybe ironic, side note: When the quick build went up here two weeks ago, I went everyday from Thursday to Sunday to photograph the progress, then ran a rather prominent feature the following Wednesday in my newspaper showing the four day progress with four color photos and a cutline about the project. I wrote NOTHING negative about the Witnesses in it. My paper is mailed free to 17,000 households in southern Vermont, and has a total distribution of 27,000 copies a week. So all the Witnesses in about 50 towns got this nice little positive piece on the quickbuild - written and photographed by someone who had just been disfellowshipped.

There have to be some psychological implications for some of the friends in seeing that! I mean, the main reason they gave for dfing me after my being gone for so long was that I was so well known in VT/NH.

Of course, I also knew that a less than flattering major article on the Witnesses was coming out in the Sunday edition of our sister daily paper, which we linked to here a couple of weeks ago on that Sunday. There's another piece in the works that I'm hoping comes out this week. I'll let you know immediately.

S4

• willyloman
    willyloman
    On a funny, or maybe ironic, side note: When the quick build went up here two weeks ago, I went everyday from Thursday to Sunday to photograph the progress, then ran a rather prominent feature the following Wednesday in my newspaper showing the four day progress with four color photos and a cutline about the project. I wrote NOTHING negative about the Witnesses in it. My paper is mailed free to 17,000 households in southern Vermont, and has a total distribution of 27,000 copies a week. So all the Witnesses in about 50 towns got this nice little positive piece on the quickbuild - written and photographed by someone who had just been disfellowshipped.

Talk about "objective reporting!"

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Dear S4

Will you be taking any action? Please IM me.

Thanks

Dismembered

• minimus
    minimus

Seeker,were you just bluffing about suing? Perhaps they believe you don't have the balls to go after your "friends". I hope you do and that you're successful. I'd do the same thing---esp. if I KNEW that you could win.

• onesong
    onesong

The same thing happened to me Seeker4. The elders stopped by for a chat with me and I found out 2 weeks later that I was announced as no longer being a witness. No phone call, no letter, not even informing me that this would happen when they visited. Now everyone thinks I disassociated myself. Oh well, I'm just so happy to be out!

• colorado5591
    colorado5591

Don't you hate it when you get fired before you get the chance to officially quit?

Buncha cowards eh?!?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Minimus, Not sure how wise it would be to sue. I was threatening it on the grounds that they were going contrary to WTS policy in the elders manual. BUT, if they sent my letter to the Society, and it came back telling them to proceed with the dfing, then obviusly the Society is saying that it's in harmony with their written policy. I don't think I'd have much of a leg to stand on - and certainly no money to proceed with a a lawsuit unless I could get pro bono work from a lawyer who knew he could win. S4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit