Charles Taze Russell & His Secret Mission To S. California That Killed Him

by West70 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• stev
    stev

Thank you for retyping this document. After reading it, I have some questions on matters that affect its credibility.

What was the original language - Polish?
    What is the language of the document?
    Who is the author of "Letter to Christians"?
    Is it Mr. Stanley or someone else?
    Who is Mr. Stanley?
    If it is not Stanley who wrote the letter, how did the writer get to possess Stanley's letter?
    Who were Stanley's parents?
    What was the direct connection of his parents to Russell, such that they would have had access to the information about attempts to poison him?
    The letter mentions three attempts at poisoning Russell. How would his parents have known about each of these attempts?
    If these attempts were public knowledge among the brethren at the time, why is that there is no record shortly after his death of any suspicion that he might have been murdered?
    If the attempts were not public knowledge, how were Stanley's parents privy to such knowledge?
    The letter mentions attempts on Russell's life in 1907, 1910, and 1911. Were these attempts by poisoning, or some other method?

The July 1916 Watch Tower does mention a convention that month in Newport, R.I.
    Menta Sturgeon does mention a public meeting in Fall River the day before Russell's last trip.
    The letter lists the destinations of the train. The towns are mentioned by Menta Sturgeon, except for San Diego, which was mentioned in the Watchtower. The letter does not mention the towns intended for visiting between Los Angeles and Brooklyn - Topeka, Tulsa, and Lincoln.
    The crucial incident in the letter is when the author claimed the final poisoning occurred. Yet here the letter is not certain whether it occurred in Dallas or Galveston. Menta Sturgeon stated that the meal was at the Hotel Galvez, but does not mention the city. Sturgeon said that there nine brethren there. The author of this letter could have gotten this information from Sturgeon's account.
    How does the author know that Russell was poisoned there? Were his parents part of the nine brethren that poisoned him? Were they part of the plot? What evidence is there?
    The author does not know the identity of the murderer(s).
    Yet if the author does not know their identity, how does he know that "they plotted against him" and "organized a plot", and "persuaded him to take a trip"?
    The letter stated that "The official doctor in Penhadle issued the certificate of death." Menta Sturgeon's account does not state this doctor issued the death certificate, but a reader might infer it from the account. "Penhadle" should be spelled "Penhandle." There are other spelling errors, and I don't know whether they were in the original letter or not. The letter lists possible murder suspects. There are two names that should not have even made the list: Morton and John Edgar. They did not even live in the United States, and John Edgar had been dead for several years.

My take on this: there might have been a rumor of poisoning that Stanley's parents had heard many years ago, and retold it to Stanley. Could it be that his parents had heard that Russell suffered at times from "food poisoning"? Russell suffered from indigestion constantly. This rumor could have been aided by all the secret political maneuvering that occurred short after Russell's death. Stanley then could have added the facts mentioned in Sturgeon's account of Russell's last days, and gotten a list of brethren at that time.
    I do not find any evidence of poisoning.

I would be interested in seeing the rest of this letter about the divorce. Perhaps there is information that would show that the author or parents had intimate knowledge of the Russells.

Steve

• Cygnus
    Cygnus
    His close aids tested the food first and then only Pastor Russell began to eat slowly and carefully.

Whoever takes this seriously needs to quit watching Columbo reruns.

• West70
    West70

I hate to hijack this NOW "conspiracy theory" thread about Rutherford murdering Russell, but permit me to bring back up my original questions:

---------------------------

The last 5 months of Charles Taze Russell's life was quite hectic, and according to reports in the Watch Tower magazine, Russell's health was declining throughout.

In September, 1916, Russell went on a Convention Train Tour which lasted nearly the entire month. This train tour included stops in several southern California locations around the 8th through the 12th.

Russell arrived back in Brooklyn sometime in the last few days of September. After making a number of administrative adjustments, on October 16, Russell and evidently only Menta Sturgeon jumped on a train again and headed back to California. Alhough Russell and Sturgeon made a number of "pilgrim" stops along the way, particularly in Texas, it seems that the real purpose of the trip was to again visit the southern California area.

Note the following excerpt from Sturgeon's account of the trip, which seems to throw out some very strong "hints" about some "problems" occurring which related to "business propositions". Russell spent an entire day somewhere in southern California that was off the main railroad line. The next day's trip to speak to the LA Bible Students appears to have been done only to provide "cover" for the real purpose of the trip. After the LA speech, Russell headed back to Brooklyn, but never made it.

Anyone have any idea what "business propositions" in southern California were so significant that Russell could not have handled such by letter or telegraph?

------------------------

LET ME BE MORE DIRECT.

There is a "story" posted on the net, which can be found by "googling" some of the "keyterms" I have used that somewhat fits with the possibility that Russell and some of his followers had a business operation going on in southern California around this time which went bust.

Frankly, it sounds more like a bad "urban legend" to me, but I thought maybe some of you WatchTower researchers here maybe had already run down the original source so as to either confirm or deny. The "story" has points to it that sound credible, but also points that sound unreasonable -- almost like it had been "planted" by a Watchtower opposer????

I'm not spelling out the details so as to not trample on any other possile info that I may have overlooked or that I have not been able to obtain.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Stev:

Any questions that you may have about the letter should be directed to VM44, because he knows a lot more about the letter than I do. He posted it some time ago and I recorded it on a diskette. When Leolaia had made the request for it, I went to my old diskette to find it, and had not realized that VM44 had already provided a link for it. His link is in [larger] size than the old copy that I have and easier to see. VM44 would be the authority to ask concerning the letter!

Cheers!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

West70,

If you have found interesting information out in the aether somewhere, at least provide the URL of the information. Please don't send people on tedious easter-egg-hunts while you sit there with the information right in front of you.

What you're doing is not much different than saying, "I know a secret, and you'll never guess what it is."

• West70
    West70

Nathan:

This "story", which appears to me to probably NOT be credible, has been turning up on my own Google searches probably for two years or longer.

I am assuming that other Russell/Watchtower researchers have had the same experience for the same length of time.

I am further assuming that researchers with more time and more resources than I have followed this "story" to its end, and evidently thought it to me erroneous.
    After stumbing across the same/similar webpage for the umpteeth time acouple weeks ago, I decided to post this thread to see if my assumptions are correct.

I'm not doing any "I know something you don't", because I don't believe the story is accurate; although there is enough things about it that are "possible", and there are circumstances of Russell's trip that would fit with it being accurate, that I decided to see what others had found out. I did so in this manner because I don't always trust my own research or analysis. I was hoping to have others provide such without having to do so as a challenge to my own.

If someone else who has this info doesn't post it by later today, I will do so myself.

PS: I'll almost bet that our resident Google-expert -- SF -- has been sitting on this story from 10-15 minutes after frst reading my two posts on page 1.

• stev
    stev

On that California trip:

It seems unusual that Russell would return to California in October when he just been there in September. He had to travel by train, it was across the country from East Coast to West Coast, and took at least a week to get there. It looks like he had already planned to go to the Dallas Convention in October because it was mentioned in the Sept. WT, however the Oct 1 WT does not mention a trip to California, but the Nov 1 issue does. One could infer that there was unfinished business from the previous trip to Calif. for which he had to return. From Sturgeon's account, he attended to unstated business matters that were not going his way. For him to make the trip at all, the matter must have been urgent, and it can be inferred that it must have involved a large sum of money, and that he or someone lost money. It could be that this is the source of the rumor, and there are no more details than that.

On the murder conspiracy theory:

This seems to be just a rumor but nevertheless has some plausibility. The cause of death is bit of a mystery, Rutherford arrived very quickly to Brooklyn after the death, and if the "opposition" can be believed, Rutherford-Macmillan-Van Amburgh conspired and plotted together for Rutherford to take over, and bullied their way into power., and acted so quickly that they must have some advance knowledge and planning. However, Russell's health was declining, Macmillan was his assistant and could have observed him daily, Rutherford was chairman of the L.A. convention in Sept. and likely saw Russell's condition, and both of them could have concluded that he did not much longer to live. The murder conspiracy theory is not necessary to explain what happened.

Steve

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

West70 said,

PS: I'll almost bet that our resident Google-expert -- SF -- has been sitting on this story from 10-15 minutes after frst reading my two posts on page 1.

Maybe, maybe not, but when SF decides to post, SF presents the links to the findings.

You, on the other hand, continue to avoid posting what you claim to have found. Now you are trying to further evade my request by dragging SF into the matter, suggesting that SF also knows and isn't telling.

I'm thinking of of word I would use to describe such behavior - can you guess what it is?

• sf
    sf

Topic: Did CTR go mad ?

A portion therein, and perhaps said document is on this linked forum as well:

[[ On a XJW forum, they love to exmaine the Watchtowers history and they come up with all sorts of idiotic notions about Pastor Russell and other Watchtower leaders. One of them was about Pastor Russell being poisoned.

Someone in Romania sent me a typed written letter about the Pastor being poisoned on several occassions between 1910 and 1916 on various convention tours. NO proof was given, no names were given or even the name of the so-called witness who had proof.

I asked around the Bible Student grapevine of those who were around or whose family were around, and they all dismiss it as hearsay, now mind you I have heard a lot of "wild" stories about the old days, particurlarly of the days of the Judge, and many of these have been proven to me with evidence. The poison story is not one of them.

Pastor Russell has been a victim of maligning since the day he took on his mission, he's been accuse of devil worship, child molestation, adultery, having a harem, that the Watchtower Society was a front for the illuminati, a secret organization to take over the world. That he is a mason of the highest rank, that he beat his wife, heck, he probably kicked the family dog everyday on his way to Bethel.

Fact is, critics of Pastor Russell and the Society will stop at nothing to defame and slander the Pastor. All one has to do is say it and it will be believed. ]]

_________

As West70 indicates...google keywords to gain more insight. Don't forget too, to click on 'images' and 'groups', as these yield even more results.

Happy trails!

sKally

• greendawn
    greendawn

Without smoking guns or lots of circumstantial evidence one can only produce speculative scenarios. What is certain is that Russell was not a saint.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit