Charles Taze Russell & His Secret Mission To S. California That Killed Him

by West70 49 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• stev
    stev

The Report of the Los Angeles convention in the Oct. 15 1916 Watchtower

::R5976 : page 318::

LOS ANGELES--SEATTLE--MILWAUKEE CONVENTIONS

THE Los Angeles Convention of the I.B.S.A. opened September 2d and closed September 10th. The Chairman of the Convention, Brother Rutherford, declared that, without any exception, it was the finest and most spiritual Convention he had ever attended, and many others voiced the same sentiment. One Sister remarked that the addresses and general tone of the Convention were so spiritual that her eyes were suffused with tears at every session. Surely, it was good to be there! The program was closely followed, and the arrangement of the fixed topics in advance seemed to work beneficially, as it has done with other Conventions this year.

The attendance at the Convention was estimated at one thousand. The special service for the public on the closing Sunday packed the spacious Temple Beautiful to its utmost capacity, with about 200 brethren on the platform and about 600 in an overflow meeting, making a total of 3,800--besides about a thousand turned away. The close attention given by the public was remarked by many. The audience was an extremely intelligent one, probably one-half of it gray-haired people. Good results are hoped for from the public service, and we hope also that the Convention's general influence will be far reaching, not only in the Los Angeles Congregation, but also in the smaller companies round about, which were well represented.

The PHOTO-DRAMA OF CREATION had two full exhibitions-- four nights each, with a Finale, making nine in all. It was well attended and a large number of cards were handed in, requesting further information and literature.

An interesting event outside the Convention Program was an address by Brother Russell in the Park Avenue Christian Church, Los Angeles. The Minister of the Congregation, Brother Anderson, has within the past few months come in contact with Present Truth, and has been feasting upon it. He has also been preaching it to the Congregation, and has had various of the brethren lead Berean Studies and give Addresses. His invitation to Brother Russell to take supper at his home and afterwards to address the Congregation was accepted with appreciation. The attendance crowded the edifice, about 500 being present. The attention was excellent. Evidently a considerable number of the Congregation were deeply impressed with the Divine Plan of the Ages, as were also visitors from the neighborhood. Brother and Sister Anderson seem to be very thoroughly committed to following the light as the Lord may privilege them to see it. They give evidence of full consecration to the Lord, and a clear spiritual insight into the Plan.

A public witness to the Truth was given in San Bernardino and seemed to be well received. About 500 very intelligent people gave close heed to the subject, "The World on Fire." This was considered an excellent attendance for a Tuesday afternoon in September. Many requests were made for literature.

Our next stop was at San Francisco, where we addressed about 400 of the brethren of that vicinity gathered for Wednesday afternoon. No public meeting was attempted, but we had splendid fellowship with the brethren, about 100 of whom accompanied us to Oakland, where we took our train northward.

• stev
    stev

Russell had visited California in Sept. 1916, and then returned the following month. He had planned to attended the Dallas convention in October. The original Watchtower issue could be checked to see if Russell's original itinerary had planned a return visit to California after his visit to Texas, or whether his plans were changed.

Steve

• stev
    stev

According to this Bible Student (Pastoral Bible Institute) version of history, Rutherford was in Maryland when Russell died. The Watchtower reported that Rutherford had been Chairman of the Los Angeles Convention in September. It is unlikely that Rutherford was in Calif. when Russell visited there in October. The original Watchtowers could be also checked for Rutherford's itinerary at the time.

http://www.heraldmag.org/2004_history/04history_6.htm

Menta Sturgeon wired his wife that Pastor Russell had died. A. H. MacMillan intercepted the telegram at the Brooklyn Bethel home and wired J. F. Rutherford, then at a convention in Oakland, Maryland, “The old man is dead. 1 Rutherford came immediately to Brooklyn and took over.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

I have sent a message to RR asking if he still has the document

• dilaceratus
    dilaceratus

The first I saw of this theory was on H2O, around 1999 or so, when "Focus" was offering a highly dubious diagnosis based on the written descriptions of Russell's symptoms. If I recall correctly, he was trying to suggest that some homeopathic remedies (containing arsenic?) may have been somehow involved. The details are dim, as it was of no consequence. He and "Farkel" batted it around until some new source of personal outrage could be found.

It's sad to say that even this unprovable, paranoid conspiracy theory looks like the work of a sound mind when compared to the embarrassing, hateful bilge some on this board are presently spewing. It is astonishing to me that ex-Witnesses fail to see that their prior involvement with that odious organization was as a result of indulging in gossip and speculation as a way of life-- merely changing the content of that gossip and speculation is a lateral move, at best.

• VM44
    VM44

Here it is! --VM44 (Archivist Class)

http://us.share.geocities.com/h2oarchives/index.htm

Edited to add:

If you find a message saying that the site is temporarily unavailable, PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

• stev
    stev

I phoned someone that had the original Watchtowers in the year 1916, and he could not find any pilgrim schedule for Rutherford.

In the Oct. 1, 1916 issue, Russell's visits are listed:

Oct 1 New York City Temple

Oct 8 Dayton, Ohio

Oct 15 Providence R I Oct 15 Fall River, Massachusetts

Oct 22 Dallas, Texas

Nov 5 New York City Temple

The Oct. 15 issue was missing.

The Nov. 1 issue has the above visits, but inserts the following visits:

Oct 29 San Diego, California

Nov 1 Topeka, Kansas

Nov 2 Tulsa, Oklahoma

Nov 3 Lincoln, Nebraska

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Leolaia, the letter that I think your speaking about will not cut and paste for me here.

I retyped it to the best of my ability because it is a little hard to see.

If you want a copy of the letter, then just let me know where to send it. Or [pm] me for it. Retyped : English translation of a letter "Letter to Christians." Lublin, Poland, 1983 August 1984, Lublin WHO IS THE MURDERER OF PASTOR RUSSELL? Mr. Stanley, Detroit, Michigan, sentre a letter, fragments of which follow: My parents were close friends of Pastor Charles Taze Russell and his wife, Mary Francis Aclay, Pittsburg, and also in Allegheny and in Brooklyn, N.Y. They carried out the work of Pastor Russell from the very beginning, and took part in the meetings. As my parents related, there were several attempts on Pastor Russell's life in Alleghany as well as in Brooklyn and other cities. As I remember from my parents recollections, the most important attempt took place in 1907, later in 1910 and again in 1911. Russell escaped these attempts. There had been many attempts to poison him. He didn't trust anybody. It had reached such a situation that when he received his meal, he didn't take it at first. His close aids tested the food first and then only Pastor Russell began to eat slowly and carefully. Despite these precautions, Russell had been on several occasions very seriously poisoned among other times, during the convention at Newport in July 1916 and later in Fall River, province. They plotted against him even at the very hub of the Watchtower Society in Brooklyn. There were many so-called "brothers" who awaited his death so that they could replace him. They organized a plot. They persuaded him to take a trip, to go on a certain mission only to return in a coffin. On October 16, 1916, Pastor Russell left Brooklyn accompanied only by Menta Sturgeon. They boarded a train for Detroit, Lansing, Chicago, Springfield, Kansas City, Wichita, Dallas, Gal veston, Houston, St. Antonio, San Diego, Del Rio, Los Angeles, Brooklyn. In this middle of the trip, perhaps in Dallas or in Galveston, nine "brothers" hosted Russell at a reception and poisoned him. This time the poison was deadly. The official doctor in Penhadle issued the certificate of death. The text of this certificate has never been published. The investigation of the case was thwarted. Who is the murderer of Russell? Whose hand and on whose order was this cruel and treacherous crime committed? The people who were close to Russell in Brooklyn were J.F. Rutherford, W.E. Van Amburgh, H.C. Rockwell, H.H. Hirach, F.H. Robinson, Menta Sturgeon, Bracia Edgar, John Edgar, Morton Edgar, Wood- worth, Czeslaw, Rasprzykoski, Mc Millan, Paul S.L. Johnson, William E. Page, E.W. Breneisen, George H. Fisher, Imak Hoskins, A.E. Burges, Etc. Note. This is the first half of this document. The other half deals with the trouble Pastor Russell's so-called close "brothers" made between him and his wife leading to a divorce, etc...

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

VM44

Thanks for the link! Your link is more clear than the copy I have anyway!

• greendawn
    greendawn

It will blow the WTS apart if it transpires that the later FDS members were behind Russell's murder.

It is obvious enough that Rutherford had absolutely no spiritual interests except to the extend that they served his purposes though he was trying to pass himself as a god chosen saint. Being so ruthless it is plausible that he was involved in a murder conspiracy, after all he is the one that benefited the most from Russell's death.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit