Armeggedon new light?

by Cellist 18 Replies latest jw friends

• Cellist
    Cellist

An inactive, non-baptized person told my sister-in-law (faded, non-baptized) that the Witnesses no longer believe that Armeggedon is going be a world destruction. Does anyone know where she would get this sort of idea from? This person is more in contact with active JWs than we are. We just heard this, but the conversation actually took place awhile ago.

Cellist

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS has believed that the physical earth itself will not be destroyed.

They do believe that the infrastructure of ruling will be totally done away with, religion, business, politics.

They do believe that everyone who is not a dedicated baptized JW will be destroyed.

Now how much of the buildings, roads, etc., will survive is up for grabs.

But they believe that this will be world encompassing without anyone avoiding judgment, either to eternal death or the possibility of eternal life in 1,000 years.

Whoever said that better have something in black and white in the publications to back it up, or else they are whistling in the wind (perhaps repeating a JW speculation, even a CO or DO have been known to do that).

• Cellist
    Cellist

Yes, Blondie, that was our opinion too. But, we've been out approx. 14 years. So, we thought that we might have missed something that could lead to such an optomistic thought. We've been reading this board for a couple of years and I don't recall anything even remotely suggesting such a thing.

Cellist

• blondie
    blondie

Remember, I read the WT every issue (sometimes every article) and a glance through the Awake as well as being out for only 3 years.

The WTS hasn't shed enough "progressive light" yet to jump to that conclusion.

I am curious as to where and how that person got that information.

• Cellist
    Cellist

Blondie,

It's a backwoods congregation in a backwoods area. But, there are plenty of family connections to more urban areas. So, it's hard to know where it could've come from. We scoffed at the idea when we first heard it, but then started wondering where on earth that idea could have come from. We are now, finally, successfully faded. So, we have no intentions of contacting any local JWs and asking questions.

Cellist

• blondie
    blondie

No, don't do that; it's not worth it. I just wondered if they had given some "support" for such a statement.

After 50 years in the WTS I have heard a few wild ones that when I tried tracking down the source, vanished into thin air or the the person couldn't remember who told them.

The WTS itself hates rumors, well, the ones they don't start.

Blondie (congratulations on 14 years out)

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I've only recently left, and I never heard that while I was in. I am pretty sure anyone saying anything like that in my kh would have been in trouble with the elders pretty soon!

• Cellist
    Cellist

Blondie, thank you. It took quite a few years before they gave up on us. I've heard a few doozies myself. I think the wildest one was that, in the system we'll be able to fly. The sister was quite indignant when I told her that it wasn't biologically possible. She said, "But, the angels fly!"

Fullofdoubtnow, thanks, the story probably has no creditable source. But, as we know, the Society has been known to float possibilities around to test what reception they get. If this is the case, someone else, somewhere, will hear it too.

Cellist

• Mary
    Mary
    An inactive, non-baptized person

Always a reliable source for the latest "New Light" coming from Crooklyn.

• Erich
    Erich

blondie

They do believe that everyone who is not a dedicated baptized JW will be destroyed.

No. That is no relevant JW- teaching now. Absolutely sure. No rumor;-)

E.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit