How do you like your steak?

by JH 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Most people seem to like theirs medium rare. Count me among them.

One of my favorite film lines, from Goodfellas:

"How do you like your steak?" "Rare...Medium-rare." "Medium rare, eh? An aristocrat..."

• desbah
    desbah

I seen how cow, steers and bulls are butchered....and for me l want my steak cooked well done on the grill.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Just restore it back to body tempurature.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

between medium and rare

• free2beme
    free2beme

Wipe the cows ass, knock it's horns off and I will take what I need as it walk by. If anyone else knows the saying, then you were raised by someone from Texas too.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Medium rare on the grill or in the oven. My uncle used to manage a Swift meat-packing plant in Lake Charles a long time ago. Oh the steaks I do remember.......he took me with him one time when he visited his favorite butcher shop. They let him walk in the meat locker where they had the sides of beef hanging on hooks and he showed me how tender it was by pinching off a small piece. It was so tender that even with it almost frozen he could pinch a piece off......mmmmmmmMMMMMMM

• Confession
    Confession

If I'm at a first-rate steak house, I'll order it Medium Rare. But any typical restaurant--even ones that don't specialize in steak, I generally get it Medium. I can enjoy it in many ways, but I especially like it with a bit of bleu cheese. I also love a nice peppercorn glaze with garlic.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Well, I cook at a large restaurant, and cook about 200 steaks each night I work (except for Fridays when more people order fish).

Since the mad cow scare, I have noticed that more people order their steaks well done or medium well. When I first started cooking 14 years ago, rare was "in", but not anymore. Like every cook, I hate to cook the steaks well done because they lose a lot of their tenderness and there is no merit in cooking a well done steak. When I have time, I usually finish off the well dones in the oven, as they come out juicier.

Someone mentioned that when a medium well is ordered, it usually comes out well done. This is true. A medium well should still have a small amount of pink in the middle, but the problem is that when we leave a bit of pink in the middle, 50% of the medium wells will be sent back to the kitchen, it happens over and over again. Personally, I do leave a bit of pink in the middle and always tell the waitres that if they want it a bit more done, I will be more than happy to do it. That way the waitress feels comfortable offering the customer to have it a bit more done, because they often feel reluctant to bring steaks back.

We cook all our steaks on a huge charbroiler, it can hold about 60 steaks at once. Except for steaks which are requested Pittsburgh style, those are cooked in a cast iron pan on the stove top. I hate doing the Pittsburg style because it smokes up the whole kitchen and I don't think it's healthy for the cooks.

I am from the old school and cook all my steaks by touch. (Touch them to feel how they are done). Most younger cooks do it by timing, which I'd never trust, because the temperature of the charbroiler can vary.

As for eating it.. I am mostly vegetarian and almost never eat meat, but when I do eat a steak, it has to be very, very, very rare.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I like it medium rare or medium well, depending on the steak. Ground sirloin must be done. No pink on ground any kind of meat.

Depending on the cut, I like to tenderize and marinate it, too. Broiled in the oven or cooked on a grill is the best. But fried can work if the cut is tender, like filet mignon.

I like sauteed fresh mushrooms and onions with it, sometimes gravy made with the steak juices. I like Heinz 57 steak sauce and Lea and Parins Worchestershire sauce. Lea and Parins used to make a good steak sauce with orange in it. I don't know if they make that anymore. Steak sauce is expensive. I guess they figure that if you're buying steak, you must have the money for the sauce. If I grill steaks, I like to basted them with a honey type bbq sauce.

Oh, I have to be in the mood for steak, or craving it. Give me seafood or grilled salmon anytime, baby.

• delilah
    delilah

I like a strip loin, T-bone, or prime rib, done medium, on the barbie.....with sauteed mushrooms, garlic mashed potatoes, or baked, corn, and a salad.....that's what's on the menu here tonight, as a matter of fact.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit