So how does one fade away, don’t want to be disfellowshipped

by JoeGeneration 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• caz
    caz

Don't know what happened with my last post, put itself in before i finished it!

So once again...... From what I've seen, all you have to do to have them completely ignore your existence and let you get on with your own life is to tell them that you have been diognosed with severe depression bordering on bi polar disorder........that will pretty well guarantee that you never have to set eyes on them again!! But if you want the elders to stop visiting.....have a little attempt at suicide......they stay well away from you then!

• PoppyR
    PoppyR

Easy peasy... start missing meetings, let them come and shepherd, nod, say you're SOOOO tired, (depression does work well, they have no idea what to do with that one) and you will try.. etc, start missing more, and more, stop reporting, then stop going. Still smile every time you see someone in the street, but walk FAST. Some will shun you anyway, because they have judged you and found you wanting. Most will smile and look uncertain, are they jealous? I was always so JEALOUS of people that stopped coming!! If you have doubts about the truth of the truth.. dont say that to anyone. It takes time.. but before you know it you will be on the outside, and it's a good place to be.

• Forscher
    Forscher

Simple. Don't go to meetings (even the once a year memorial). Don't answer the doorbell if you see it is them through the peephole. Don't answer the phone if the caller ID shows their number. Failing all that? Just move away and don't leave a forwarding address. Sooner or later, even THEY will get the message!

Forscher

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

its easier if your female, your invisible anyway until they notice you didnt turn time in.

i was asked to pad my time by an elder when i quit reporting, other than that elders didnt bother with me until they heard rumors i had a boyfriend. then they got all excited that i might be having sex. set them straight on that, never hear from them anymore.

• Gerard
    Gerard

There was an amazing member in this bulletin called Amazing. His posts were extremely knowledgable and precise, and I believe he once wrote about fading. If the search function ever works in this system you should track it down. But I found one related article of his that he wrote some time ago:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/20729/1.ashx

• Carmel
    Carmel

There ya go! Fade until you become invisible like a female dubby! Dang, that's quite the formula! /\lways hated the sexism and bigotry in the JWs founded on Bro. Paul's good advice!

carmel

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

well, they cant df u if u just tell them you no longer believe... i would rather get df'ed because i know most of my friends would stil talk to me... i wonder if the girls that shoulda been df'ed would still talk to me when they find out i didnt rat them out... ha ha all the j-dubs i slept with... silly hypocrites...

the infamous one

• rebel8
    rebel8
    it is important to remember that you aren't obligated to answer any questions

Very good advice. Be aware one main purpose of the elders talking to you is to "discern your heart condition" which is doublespeak for "get dirt on you so they can DF you". Etiquette nor anything else requires you to converse with them at all under any conditions. Just say you don't want to discuss it and walk away.

• TheListener
    TheListener

IMHO, (note - if you tell the elders that you don't believe it anymore they won't df you but they will consider that you da'd yourself. No longer wanting to be a witness of Jehovah - da'ing yourself doesn't always go over very well with family).

Fading is different for everyone. It all depends on your home and family situation. The local elder body makeup is also important.

See, if you have a witness spouse or older children or even parents or in-laws that are dubs, then fading can be much more difficult than just slowing you pace bit by bit until you are finally not moving anymore.

Or if you have an elder body that is actually loving and conscientious about their responsibility then you will also have a much harder time fading away without being bothered.

The keys I've found.

Don't engage anyone in a spiritual discussion. You can't win. The only point you can convince them on is that you're spiritually weak or worse. Bite your upper lip.

Sporadically show up at meetings. Don't give anyone any reason to doubt your sincerity to the truth. Smile and act normal. Don't comment (after a while) and cancel on a couple talks (start slow, cancel the first one a couple weeks in advance due to family or whatever responsibilities; cancel the others much closer to the meeting day).

Just stop going out in service on the weekends. Basically there isn't anyone individual that goes out every Sat and Sunday so the chance of them catching on that you're never there (right away) is pretty slim. Turn in time but slowly notch it lower and lower. At 5 hours a month you're considered a low hour publisher and may warrant some unwanted attention. Keep it between 4 and 6 a month for awhile. Eventually you can stop reporting altogether, but no matter how much you've faded you need to realize that as soon as you don't report for a month or two in a row they will smell a rat and come calling. Be sincere and dishonest at the same time. Practice beating a lie detector (hehehe).

When the elders come calling, and they will come calling in most cases. Their approach will differ from body to body. Some will be forthright and put you on the spot. These are the easiest to handle, just be sincere and tell them how stressed out you are (work, family, etc). Tell them how difficult a time you are having making ends meet (even if you're in a nice house, with money, you can still be stressed - everyone's level for handling stress is different and no one can tell you "just stop being stressed"). Agree with them when they say they'd like to see you more at meetings and service and whatever. DO NOT AGREE with them to study with somebody or make pre-planned arrangements to do anything. Just tell them you're too stressed out or depressed to make plans in advance. Tell them you need to take each day as it comes.

After talking to you once or twice at the hall in a generic manner, the elders will try to stop by for a shepherding call. Tell them no. Be pleasant and congenial, but say now is not a good time. I'm sorry, we'll have to do it in a couple months or something, I'll get back to you when it's a good time for me. When they tell you that they're worried about you act like you really appreciate it. Thank them and assure them that you're stress and depression will hopefully get better. Assure them how excited you are for the new system to come and make everything better, forever. That will ease their minds some.

As you show up less and less at the meetings they will slowly forget about you more and more. The tough part is getting through the initial "we want to help you" stage that the elders and some friends will go through.

If you have close relatives or even a mate that's a dub this plan still works. But, you're mate has to either not rat you out or you cannot give any specific information to your mate because they may feel it's their obligation to rat you out to save your life.

Fading requires a certain amount of dishonesty and insincerity. It stinks but it's necessary. The more entrenched you are in the congregation (brother with responsibilities for example) the longer a good fade can take. If you're married with a believing spouse there is some good specific advice on the board already about how to handle that.

• blondie
    blondie

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/34518/1.ashx

The Art of Fading

For newbies I would suggest checking the Best of Links. Many topics have been discussed many times in the past and better.

This is an excellent post.

Fading is as has been described dependent on many different variables. Starting with you, your family, your elder body and congregation, your past, etc.

But as I said before, you aren't obligated to answer the elders questions, your best friends questions, your family's questions. As long as you know the answers or are working on finding them out for yourself, you need not reveal anything. If your family love you, they don't need an explanation to love and support you. As far as the elders are concerned, let the holy spirit reveal it to them.

Love, Blondie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit