CS Lewis Quotations

by LittleToe 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit

"But there is worse to come. `Say what you like' we shall be told, `the apocalyptic beliefs of the first Christians have been proved to be false. It is clear from the New Testament that they all expected the Second Coming in their own lifetime. And, worse still, they had a reason, and one which you will find very embarrassing. Their Master had told them so. He shared, and indeed created, their delusion. He said in so many words, this generation shall not pass till all these things be done. And he was wrong. He clearly knew no more about the end of the world than anyone else.' It is certainly the most embarrassing verse in the Bible. …The one exhibition of error and the one confession of ignorance grow side by side. …The facts, then, are these: that Jesus professed himself (in some sense) ignorant, and within a moment showed that he really was so." World's Last Night, CS Lewis, Harcourt & Brace, NY 1988 pp 97-100, emphasis mine

Taken from my best buds website www.jcnot4me.com
    Nate

• Dansk
    Dansk

Hi Ross,

For example a Buddhist of good will may be led to concentrate more and more on the Buddhist teaching about mercy and to leave in the background (though he might still say he believed) the Buddhist teaching on certain points.

There's hope for me, then?

Ian

• jgnat
    jgnat

I can't find it, but I remember reading a pivotal moment in C. S. Lewis's Christian walk. He and J. R. R. Tolkien were on one of their regular jaunts. Tolkien explained that simile did not exist in the ancient world, only metaphor. An ancient writer would not say, "God is like the wind", he would write, "God is the wind." At that moment a gust of wind came up and brushed Lewis's face. Not long after, C. S. Lewis became Christian.

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world"
    "The wide world is all about you; you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out."

J.R.R. Tolkien

www.thinkexist.com

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ian:
    I would like to think that there's hope for all of us

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

If you look for truth, you may find comfort in the end; if you look for comfort you will not get either comfort or truth only soft soap and wishful thinking to begin, and in the end, despair.
    C. S. Lewis

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit