CS Lewis Quotations

by LittleToe 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene
    You can't get a cup of tea big enough or a book long enough to suit me.

And with that I'm off to curl up with a big cup of tea and a big book. It's a windy, grey autumn day and, having just returned from a romp by the river with my daughter, I shall continue to make the most of itWishing you all a fine day/evening/night

~Merry

• Ianone
    Ianone

CS Lewis was a Mason. I do however enjoy his philosophies. Especially, "The Four Loves."

• bebu
    bebu
    CS Lewis was a Mason.

It is more likely that the imagery that Lewis used was born of all the myths and literature he read and taught, not masonry. From childhood he enjoyed fantasy literature and mythology, and wrote and illustrated many stories of his own. There isn't any reliable, solid indication that he was a member of the masons.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Little Toe, I love Mere Christianity, it was one of the preursors to me leaving the JWs....C.S. Lewis was a little too strict for my taste, but his good sense led me through some bad times. I loved his examples about hypocrisy, the old woman who goes to church every sunday and is a terrible person, and the one who never goes, and donates his time and money to those less fortunate. Guess who is more christlike? I used to have a favortie quote, but maybe it's time for a new one.

• Ianone
    Ianone

Yep, Churchianity and Christianity, two completely different things.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

daystar,

that frank herbert quote i my fave of his too.

CS lewis?

um... i do have a misquote. is that okay? here it is:

As sure as ever God puts his children in the furnace

TS

• bebu
    bebu

TS, the quote is

"As sure as ever God puts his children in the furnace, He will be in the furnace
    with them." Charles Haddon Spurgeon.

Alluding the story in Daniel, I'm sure.

bebu

• logansrun
    logansrun
    “There are people who do not accept the full Christian doctrine about Christ but who are so strongly attracted by Him that they are His in a much deeper sense than they themselves understand. There are people in other religions who are being led by God's secret influence to concentrate on those parts of their religion which are in agreement with Christianity, and who thus belong to Christ without knowing it. For example a Buddhist of good will may be led to concentrate more and more on the Buddhist teaching about mercy and to leave in the background (though he might still say he believed) the Buddhist teaching on certain points. Many of the good Pagans long before Christ's birth may have been in this position. And always, of course, there are a great many people who are just confused in mind and have a lot of inconsistent beliefs all jumbled together.”

Interesting. I think I'm in a minority of people who think Jesus is one of the most over-rated religious figures of all time. To me -- forgive my crassness -- he appears to be a typical 1st century Jewish Apocalyptic prophet who was confused as anyone else back then. He looked for his answers to life's problems from the sky, answers which simply never came.

I find it fascinating that the one Gospel most people are attracted to is the one that modern scholars find to be the least authentic of the sayings of the historical Jesus, namely the Gospel of John. All that love and mystical stuff came later. The real Jesus preached a bloody solution to the Roman inhabitation of Israel. Nothing special in the man himself. What his followers said about him is another story, though.

But...that's just my humble opinion. :)

Bradley

• Frogleg
    Frogleg

I've been told that this is a CS Lewis quote, but I've not had it verified:

"Feed a man a fish, and you feed him for a day. Teach a man religion and he'll starve to death praying for a fish."

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

bebu,

LOL, thanks! i know, it was a misquote on purpose.

but i will say, he was quite the writer!

cheers,

ts

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit