jehovah witnesses is not a religon it is a cult

by dude 27 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

hey dude,

i would love to see religion fall too. but i have to say, don't hold your breath man. religion may be a meme, but our minds and the meme itself have coevolved together over the last 10 000 years, each influencing the cultural evolution of each other. you end up with highly adapted memetic species like xianity and izlam.

to make my point clearer, consider a biological example of coevolution as an illustration for this. the penis and the vagina. why do they work so well together? coevolution. why does religion and our brains work so well together? memetic, or cultural, evolution. a memetic sexual selection of sorts.

don't get me wrong. science will eventually win, if by no other way than that they get our species out of mess after mess. but magical thinking, it may not even be in the form of xianity, but magical thinking will always be around. humans want to believe that they are special. ergo religion.

TS

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

Hey Tetrapod...are you related to that dude in the white suit in the room in The Matrix no.2?

• Now What?
    Now What?

First off...Welcome to the Board!

And second...

when it does fall the world will be a better place

DUDE! You are soooooo, like, wrong!

I mean, like, seriously. Who's gonna clean s**t up for their whole life at minimum wage? Of course it, like, won't matter 'cause the windows will be so dirty that ya can't see the trash.

Plus have you considered the financial ramifi..ramificati...ramifications on Dunkin Donuts and Goodwill stock?

And what about all the used car lots being flooded with Buick LaSabres?

Not to mention the local trash-to-energy plants losing 85% of their supply of fuel resource.

And the landfill guys losing jobs because of the sudden drop in street litter.

And who is my dog gonna bark at on Saturday morning?

NW?

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Hey Tetrapod...are you related to that dude in the white suit in the room in The Matrix no.2?

ergo the ergo? hey! lego my ergo! he he he tetragod

• theinfamousone
    theinfamousone

hey thanks, i honestly thought they were a decent religion but seriously, i have been noticing that all the young ppl are definitely running away.. for every "faithful" one there are like five or sic getting the hell outta there...

the infamous one

• Nate Merit
    Nate Merit
    One mans 'cult' is another mans religion. 'Cult' is simply a synonym for religion. It is used in this sense by all religious scholars. Fundiots began applying the term to religions they didn't like back in the sixties. I was there.

Main Entry: cult
    Pronunciation: 'k&lt
    Function: noun
    Usage: often attributive
    Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate -- more at WHEEL
    1 : formal religious veneration : WORSHIP
    2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
    3 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
    4 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion
    - cul·tic / 'k&l-tik / adjective
    - cult·ish / -tish / adjective
    - cult·ish·ly / -lE / adverb
    - cult·ish·ness / -n&s / noun
    - cult·ism / 'k&l-"ti-z&m / noun
    - cult·ist / 'k&l-tist / noun
    - cult·like / -"lIk / adjective
    alt

alt

For More Information on "cult" go to Britannica.com
    alt Get the Top 10 Search Results for "cult"
  • ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

Posts like dude's makes me embarrassed to be from the Midwest.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

dude, JWism is stupid and totally wrong, but like PT Barnum said, there's suckers born every minute. It'll find a way to keep going. How it will is the interesting thing.

BTW, did you get your name from The Big Lebowski? Is it ok to call you El Duderino if I'm not into the whole brevity thing?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit